I've done it now....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There`s language in the contract relating to workload adjusting to age or physical ability! :peaceful:

I brought this same statement up to my Dispatch Supervisor once. He just laughed and told me we could bid onto an easier route come bid time or go into Feeder.

Trplnkl, I wish you the best in your retirement and I hope your body can heal and you have less pain. This job does beat your body up and wear it out. I have not seen a single Package Driver retire from my Center in the last 25 years that got a full pension and wasn't having physical problems. I have had three hernias and feet problems with fallen arches myself. And I was in great shape myself when all these things happened years ago. At the age of 51, I have the mindset of just trying to keep myself healthy until I can go out myself.

Like Cezanne said, I am one of those in three different pension plans with my 34 years of service and I wish I could turn in my retirement package and go out myself. I think the system is stacked against me too, I doubt I will ever get the full pension or it won't be much when my time does come.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have 2 drivers here that have 30+ years in. Right now they are still in relatively good health. I do believe they are the exception and not the rule.

It really sucks that even with the amount of time you guys have put in you can't afford to retire. There is something wrong with this system.

As far as lightening the load based on years, ha, I don't see it happening here either. Both of our 30+ year drivers still get slammed. One rte went out with 205 stops on wed.

Pump Up The Volume

At least I am getting out before it's wheel chair time.[/QUOTE]

Not to long ago UPS' insurance company did a study on package car drivers. Anyway, it was deduced that drivers would need walkers by retirement not wheelchairs

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It really sucks that even with the amount of time you guys have put in you can't afford to retire. There is something wrong with this system.

The ability to retire at normal retirement age has nothing to do with the system and everything to do with the degree of financial planning on the part of the employee throughout his career. This is why I am always urging our younger drivers, especially the single ones, to put as much away in their 401k or IRA or whatever they choose to supplement their pensions now and not to wait because if you wait 9 times out of 10 you won't do it. This is even more important with the push to raise the retirement age in many pension funds.

It may also depend upon whether the employee has a life outside of UPS.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The ability to retire at normal retirement age has nothing to do with the system and everything to do with the degree of financial planning on the part of the employee throughout his career. This is why I am always urging our younger drivers, especially the single ones, to put as much away in their 401k or IRA or whatever they choose to supplement their pensions now and not to wait because if you wait 9 times out of 10 you won't do it. This is even more important with the push to raise the retirement age in many pension funds.

It may also depend upon whether the employee has a life outside of UPS.
I'm sure you are right Dave. For the most part. There are other factors, some of which are out of our control. The economy is one. The recent recession has not helped anyone and that really is part of the system. I did not say our (UPS) system. I was speaking generally as a whole.

I had to laugh about your 'having a life outside UPS'. It's true. I really don't think that either one of our drivers that could retire have a life. They have nothing else to do but to come to work. You know what, it's really kind of sad.

ol'browneye

Best of luck to you trplnkl!!!

I too am sorry about the reasons you have to go earlier than you planned.

I have always thought I would do the 30 and out at 51, but after 2 back surgeries leaving me numbness in my right hammy and my toes, that 25 and out is looking better. That is in 2 years and some days I wonder if I can make that.

Enjoy your retirement and best of luck with your treatments. :peaceful: