I've noticed that most drivers don't own premium cars that they can afford. Why?

Why do you drive much less than you can afford?

• Just don't wanna appear flashy or showing off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like to appear as an everyday blue (brown?) collar worker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have different priorities than nice cars

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • I have a big family so the money isn't as much as it seems

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Hey, I'm one of the one's with a luxury car. Gotta problem w/ that?

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
S

serenity now

The age old economic dilemma............ Unlimited wants / Scarce Resources

A car is just a tool to get you from point A to point B

Last edited by a moderator:

JL 0513

The age old economic dilemma............ Unlimited wants / Scarce Resources

A car is just a tool to get you from point A to point B

However: If you have a small dick, you might want a fancy car to use as skank bait.
Does the OP have a small dick?

I guess you missed the part where I said I drive a Toyota Yaris. Oh, and that I'm married with a kid.

C'mon dude, what does having or wanting a nicer car have to do with any of that?

Clearly a majority here aren't car guys. Some of us see cars as more than a point A to B tool. For me, it's my main interest as far as material things go. For example, do you think Jay Leno sees cars as just an appliance? Or just collects cars to get women? No, there's a passion involved.

raceanoncr

I guess I'm an exception. Although have never had a "luxury" car, I've had some kinda hot rod/muscle car/drag race car all my driving years. Can't recount ALL the cars but what I have now:

'56 Chev 2-dr
'01 Chev S-10 Xtreme
'99 Monte Carlo
'70 Corvette

AND, just paid cash for a new Camaro SS.

Am I flaunting? Gloating? Well, you asked. And I'm retired from UPS for 3 years now.

Oh, almost forgot: the requisite Harley.

gingerkat

What's the point of buying a "premium" car? They're not going to increase in value as you drive off the lot. If anything, it's a waste of money.

JL 0513

What's the point of buying a "premium" car? They're not going to increase in value as you drive off the lot. If anything, it's a waste of money.

This is odd logic. Maybe a personal opinion on your part but you can't just say there's no point to buying a higher end car. Of that they're a waste of money.

Do you own anything nice? Why? What's the point?

Not many things appreciate in value. Doesn't make them a waste of money. Even real estate, gold, ect. don't always increase in value.

What's the point of a 50" TV when you can watch the same video on your phone?

Do you not prefer your package car to have power steering? That's a luxury. I still don't have it.
What's the point in having it? The truck still turns with out it.

Isn't going out to a nice dinner a waste of money when you can get the calories at McDonald's?

I could do this all day but hopefully you get my point.

A nice car is just that. A nicer car. It's more comfortable. Drives better. Usually looks better. Feels better. Has many useful features. These are qualities worth paying for to many people.

By this logic, why do you need anything more than a $12K subcompact?

My car doesn't even have power windows or locks. Am I wrong for some day wanting a car with power windows? Is that a waste of money?

gingerkat

This is odd logic. Maybe a personal opinion on your part but you can't just say there's no point to buying a higher end car. Of that they're a waste of money.
Odd logic? How is my logic odd? In my opinion, It's illogical to spend lots of money on something that will decrease in value and that will inevitably need repairs and be costly after the warranty expires.

Do you own anything nice? Why?
Again, what is your opinion of nice? Are you speaking of cars, handbags, shoes, clothes, jewelry? Everyone's opinion of nice is very different, but yes, in my opinion, I do have some very nice things.

Not many things appreciate in value. Doesn't make them a waste of money. Even real estate, gold, ect. don't always increase in value.
Yeah I think I understand that not everything you purchase is for value. Previously I was a CPA by trade for years and I understand appreciation/depreciation of items. Real estate is sort of a weird beast. Unless you are just trying to flip a property, most people are buying a "nice or premium" piece of real estate to live in. Do you really want to buy something in the lower end of crapville for your family if you don't have to? BTW, I wish I had some damn gold right now.

You wouldn't believe how many wealthy people would buy cars & boats as investments and come in and talk to us. Sadly we would have to inform them that those were losers. You drive off the lot with a brand new car and boom, value starts to decrease, fact of life. Classic & antique cars are the only ones that will most likely appreciate or stay the same, but much valuation and factors go into appraising a car. But, I think everyone knows that.

What's the point of a 50" TV when you can watch the same video on your phone?
LOL, this is just stupid! You go ahead and watch Inception on your phone and I'll watch on my 55" HD TV. Maybe some of us have bad eyes? lol

Do you not prefer your package car to have power steering? That's a luxury. I still don't have it.
What's the point in having it? The truck still turns with out it.
So let me say this with no sarcasm, :censored2:ism and a genuine question. Really? Do they actually make new vehicles without power steering? I'm pretty sure that if a car comes without that feature, to add it on it would be pretty minimal and it won't be considered a premium car. I would suggest to you, to splurge and get power steering, cuz it rocks!

Isn't going out to a nice dinner a waste of money when you can get the calories at McDonald's?
Actually, I do think going out to dinner is pretty much a waste of money. But, it's a wonderful and fun thing to do every now and then with a loved one or friends. My first choice would not be McDonalds because I don't want to get a big fat ass.

I could do this all day but hopefully you get my point.

A nice car is just that. A nicer car. It's more comfortable. Drives better. Usually looks better. Feels better. Has many useful features. These are qualities worth paying for to many people.

By this logic, why do you need anything more than a $12K subcompact?

My car doesn't even have power windows or locks. Am I wrong for some day wanting a car with power windows? Is that a waste of money?
You started this thread and apparently you didn't really care for my thoughts, so you questioned every one of them. That's cool, because different thoughts and ideas what makes this world a wonderful and interest place. You are not wrong for wanting to have the nicer things in your car. I say, treat yourself and do whatever makes you happy. A $12K car out the door? Come on, where are you going to find that?

I guess the question that should have been asked long before I wrote all of this is, what do you think a premium car is and how much is that going to cost? Maybe that is where we differ. Maybe premium is a whole different number to me.

I guess I was thinking of a driver who's trying to impress me. The other day he came over to my place with his big bad 70K car and I laughed at him. To me, that is a terrible waste of money. It tells me that he is a bit of an attention whore, not good with his money and doesn't have much else to offer.

It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks, it's your money. Do as you please, buy a tank if wish, but I don't think they come with power steering :happy-very:. But again, live it up man, treat yourself right and enjoy.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Why was divorce not an option. I look at the crappy cars in my center and see the divorced driver. No nice car, no nice house and half a pension (because they also never contributed to a 401k) no extra money and still working the max hours.

S

serenity now

I drove a truck for 21 years that did not have a radio / It was 10 years old when I bought it

My current truck is the only new vehicle I have ever owned ( a 2004 model )

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Everybody is different thats for sure. At this stage of my career and life having an expensive car is a waste of money. More important things to concentrate money on such as loading up retirement money and paying off house by retirement. Definitely want to be debt free by retirement. Then with no mortgage ill buy that expensive car lol well all depends. Knowing me ill buy that old 66 to 77 ford bronco ive always wanted to restore since I was a teenager.

Everybody is different thats for sure. At this stage of my career and life having an expensive car is a waste of money. More important things to concentrate money on such as loading up retirement money and paying off house by retirement. Definitely want to be debt free by retirement. Then with no mortgage ill buy that expensive car lol well all depends. Knowing me ill buy that old 66 to 77 ford bronco ive always wanted to restore since I was a teenager.
dont forget how many divorced drivers we have! their ex wives have all the money.!

cynic

Having an expensive car is cool when your young but when you got big boy bills to pay it isn't so cool anymore. Id rather drive a station wagon and have a fatazz house than live in a trailer and have a Mercedes feel me lol.

My favorite model car is "paid for" - I haven't had a car payment since 1991 and I haven't paid over $1,000 for a car since then either. I always buy an older cash car from someone I know and drive it for 5 to 9 years and do the majority of repairs myself. They look and run well - people don't want to deal with selling a used car or don't want the dealer bending them over. Give me that car with 180,000 miles for $850 - I'll nurse that thing along for at least 5 years.

I mean, I LOVE the cool new cars I see people driving into work, would LOVE to have one, but I spend less than 6 hours a week in my car driving to/from work to both jobs. Why do I want to pay higher insurance rates and have a payment?!

You guessed it - I'm so damn cheap I squeak when I walk, but my bank account is getting fatter, not the car dealer's.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I drive a 20 year old car so I can afford to fly a 35 year old cessna airplane

You, my friend, win!!

Seriously, I'm jealous.

​(edit:Lycoming or Continental engine? I only ask because Lycoming engines were (are) built less than 3 miles from my house.)

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
You, my friend, win!!

Seriously, I'm jealous.

​(edit:Lycoming or Continental engine? I only ask because Lycoming engines were (are) built less than 3 miles from my house.)

:happy-very:
Lycoming 0-320
​1981 172

i went to the factory(Williamsport I assume?) one time when we were traveling up that way, but it was a Sunday and didn't get to see anything.

JL 0513

Odd logic? How is my logic odd? In my opinion, It's illogical to spend lots of money on something that will decrease in value and that will inevitably need repairs and be costly after the warranty expires.

It's your personal logic, and that's fine It's purely opinion though. Doesn't seem as though you saw the sarcasm in my analogies that you quoted. It was all to make a point about why one might want a nice car.

Again, what is your opinion of nice? Are you speaking of cars, handbags, shoes, clothes, jewelry? Everyone's opinion of nice is very different, but yes, in my opinion, I do have some very nice things.

Exactly my point. What's the differance in other nice things and nice cars? Nice shoes wear out. Why not just get $20 shoes? People prefer Nike's in the same way they prefer a Lexus.

LOL, this is just stupid! You go ahead and watch Inception on your phone and I'll watch on my 55" HD TV. Maybe some of us have bad eyes? lol

Again, being sarcastic. I have a 60" in my living room and a 51" in my bedroom. It was for the purpose of argument.

So let me say this with no sarcasm, :censored2:ism and a genuine question. Really? Do they actually make new vehicles without power steering? I'm pretty sure that if a car comes without that feature, to add it on it would be pretty minimal and it won't be considered a premium car. I would suggest to you, to splurge and get power steering, cuz it rocks!

I was talking UPS package cars. Many of us still don't have power steering. Of course regular cars have had power steering standard for decades.

You started this thread and apparently you didn't really care for my thoughts, so you questioned every one of them. That's cool, because different thoughts and ideas what makes this world a wonderful and interest place. You are not wrong for wanting to have the nicer things in your car. I say, treat yourself and do whatever makes you happy. A $12K car out the door? Come on, where are you going to find that?

I do indeed value your opinion. I asked for everyone's and appreciate it. This is a great debate.

Yes, there are still NEW cars available for around $12-$13K to start. Nissan Versa, ect...

Like I said earlier, I drive a Yaris. A $14K sub-compact that I bought used. It now has 150,000 trouble free miles on it. I love the car but in a few years I look forward to a nice upgrade after I reach top rate.

I guess the question that should have been asked long before I wrote all of this is, what do you think a premium car is and how much is that going to cost? Maybe that is where we differ. Maybe premium is a whole different number to me.

Premium brands usually start around $30-$35K. That's all I'm talking about. I would never expect a driver to pull up in a Mercedes S-Class. I do see drivers with vehicles in the $35K area, but it's mostly trucks rather than luxury sedans.

:grouphug: