James P. Hoffa & Kenn Hall will Never Lead a Strike!

UPSGUY72

UPS Teamsters will get sold out by J.P Hoffa and his red-neck hall.

That is a fact!

Last time I check we voted on whether to accept the proposed contract or not... If you don't like it vote NO. However we don't have a proposed contract to look at or talk about currently.....

stink219

That is a fact!
Dude, why are you so bitter with them? I made 90K last year. Are you one of those "yeah but" people?
-Hey we got $0.90 in the last year of our contract.
"YEAH BUT, it was a split raise"
-Hey we got a record $9 dollars an hour over the contract
"YEAH BUT, $5 goes to our health and pension.
Blah blah blah...
97' contract Carey is President
02' contract Hoffa is President
08' contract Hoffa is President
-
97' contract Hall is Chief Negotiator
02' contract Hall is Chief Negotiator
08' contract Hall is Chief Negotiator

InsideUPS

That is a fact!

All of our contracts since 1997 have had concessions in one form or another. Considering the fact that there is virtually nothing left to take from the part-time work force, UPS is now going after full time employees as well.

The most recent "update" from the IBT does not look promising (letter below). Simply look at the "key words" and statements in Mr. hall letter. Do they appear promising to you? I personally would rather read; "Today the Union proposed moving all employees that are currently in the Company health insurance plan into a Union plan. IMHO, this statement from Hall appears that we, the Union are on the DEFENSIVE....on this issue rather than on the OFFENSE.

In regard to; We have told the Company we are prepared to meet the weeks of April 15th and April 22nd, provided the Company is prepared to reach an Agreement acceptable to our members during those two weeks; this statement attempts to demonstrate "strength" by using the phrase "We have told the Company".... but totally loses the feeling of leadership when it ends in; "provided the Company is prepared to reach an Agreement......" . How lame is that? OF COURSE the "Company" is going to be prepared to reach an agreement.......they want an agreement more than anything to protect their stock price.

TO: UPS Package Local Unions hall
DATE: March 28, 2013

Today we concluded another week of negotiations with UPS. Several of the open supplements made significant progress.
In national negotiations, we focused on healthcare. Today the Company proposed moving all employees that are currently in the Company health insurance plan into a Union plan.

Because this issue is so important, we are taking the next two weeks to evaluate the proposal and discuss the issue internally.
We have told the Company we are prepared to meet the weeks of April 15th and April 22nd, provided the Company is prepared to reach an Agreement acceptable to our members during those two weeks.

As posted on "MakeUPSDeliver.org" :

UPS Contract Update

UPDATED March 28, 2013: Bargaining has been suspended until April 15, when it is expected to get serious. The International Union announced that harassment and Surepost issues have largely been settled, but UPS and the IBT are “miles apart” on economic issues.

SurePost, Harassment, and 9.5 language will be as vague and unenforceable as it was in the past. UPS could care less about what is written in our contract about these non-economic issues...... WE ALREADY have Article 37 language on harassment. Where has that gotten us???.....ENDLESS grievances with NO results. We already have 9.5 language in our contract..... Where has that gotten us??? and finally.... we ALREADY have language against SUBCONTRACTING......Where has that gotten us????

THE MAIN economic and benefits issues are what we need to focus on.

In Summary, hall initially demonstrated "early" leadership when he stated in a letter "Not $90...not $9....not $09.....(for healthcare)" . Mysteriously however that IBT letter is now GONE from the Teamsters website at UPS 2013 Negotiations | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) . (Fortunately I have a copy of it). All I've seen since then are "creative solutions" which apparently are going to involve our healthcare plans and plenty of "smoke". Personally, I am not feeling the level of "leadership" that I felt during the 1997 negotiations which lead to a strike....... nowhere close...... The charisma, intensity, and ability to rally the public on our side is definitely missing from Hoffa and Hall compared to Ron Carey. If this contract is any example of past contracts under Hall and Hoffa.....it will be concessionary.

Last edited:

stink219

Actually, for those of you in the UPS Health Plan, it sounds very promising!! I'm in the Teamster Health Plan and I have the best benefits in my state. My local just added an enhanced benefit with zero copayment to doctors visits, reduced co pay for E rooms and prescriptions, and zero deductibles. If I get sick, it cost me .98 cents for antibiotic and cough meds. Be lucky if your in our plan.

InsideUPS

Re: James P. Hoffa & Kenn Hall will Never Lead a Strike!

Actually, for those of you in the UPS Health Plan, it sounds very promising!! I'm in the Teamster Health Plan and I have the best benefits in my state. My local just added an enhanced benefit with zero copayment to doctors visits, reduced co pay for E rooms and prescriptions, and zero deductibles. If I get sick, it cost me .98 cents for antibiotic and cough meds. Be lucky if your in our plan.

Stink...thanks for the info however.....

Q1) Do you know details about the Teamster Health Plan?.... in other words, is it a National Plan... or a Locally negotiated plan?

Q2) When is your plan due to be renegotiated?

Q3) If you were traveling "Out of State"....does you plan have equal benefits if you for some reason needed to "Go Out of Network"?

My main concern is that unless it is a Nationally recognized plan....... some of us may end up with a very different "Teamster" plan than yourself. In other words, not all "Teamster" plans may be created equal....

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Q1) Do you know details about the Teamster Health Plan?.... in other words, is it a National Plan... or a Locally negotiated plan?

Q3) If you were traveling "Out of State"....does you plan have equal benefits if you for some reason needed to "Go Out of Network"?

My main concern is that unless it is a Nationally recognized plan....... some of us may end up with a very different "Teamster" plan than yourself. In other words, not all "Teamster" plans may be created equal....

Putting us all in one Teamster Health Plan would have huge negotiating power.

wgf46

Full time wages, glad full timers make excellent wages !!! Part timers , pays ok, not super but ok, benefits make it all worth it. No benefits, you'll see an exodus of part timers !!! I'm sorry, just any monkey cannot load and deal with the harassment ! I'm all for the company turning a profit and doing well, but when you stand up for yourself, your black balled and labeled a trouble maker. The best solution I've found is to work safe, use the methods without communication unless they want to treat me like an adult. Two can play games !

oldupsman

My main concern also. I've had UPS health coverage since 1976 and it's been an excellent plan. Much better than my local Teamster plan.
If you're talking about a national plan where everyone gets the same thing than I'm interested. But if you're going to leave each little fiefdom the
power to administer their own plan, like the pension, which is a disaster for some folks, then no thanks.

stink219

Agreed. UPS puts in cash per hour on our behalf for our bennies. There is one change in out of network where there is a $300 deductible. But that's it. Our local has negotiations between blue cross and united to make it cost effective. Our local saved 5 million going to united last time. It's the exact same plan. People were up in arms about changing. And that was for the exact same plan with enhanced benefits. Imagine how pissed they would be if our local took a 5 million dollar hit. I hope your not in local 804. God help those cats.

InsideUPS

Putting us all in one Teamster Health Plan would have huge negotiating power.

I totally agree brownmonster....

My concern is only that we will be split up....into many different plans, allowing each and every Local to negotiate our healthcare plans independently. This leaves far too much room for inconsistent healthcare.. IF it is a NATIONAL IBT plan....then I am all for it.....

oldupsman

I totally agree brownmonster....

My concern is only that we will be split up....into many different plans, allowing each and every Local to negotiate our healthcare plans independently. This leaves far too much room for inconsistent healthcare.. IF it is a NATIONAL IBT plan....then I am all for it.....
And then the question is, if we can have a NATIONAL IBT health care plan, why can't we have a NATIONAL IBT pension plan.

InsideUPS

And then the question is, if we can have a NATIONAL IBT health care plan, why can't we have a NATIONAL IBT pension plan.

I agree.....I often wondered the same thing....most likely has something to do with "old" Union politics....I vote for whoever runs the Western Conference Pension fund to be in charge.....

I'm sure that our Teamster representatives could find some "fat to trim" just as UPS recently eliminated the Central Region of our company and combined it with the East and West Regions. Going a step further, what would prevent our Teamster representatives from combining some of the Locals across the country? I believe that too much "autonomy" can lead to "Local Agreements" which are not always in the best interest of our members...