Jan 3 & 4

I drove Jan 3 & 4 as an off the street seasonal driver. My question, is there something I need to be reading in the contract for working after December 31? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the past working those days most likely would have earned you a FT job; however, your union local and UPS may have made a deal to extend the free period due to "unexpected volume". This is a question you should be asking your shop steward.

Butters243

In my local, any seasonal driver that is worked after Jan 1st begins the 30/90 hiring process. Starting Jan 2, count the days that you have worked. If you work 30 days within 90 calender days you are officially hired and you are in the union. You'll start paying union fees and past dues. Your hire/ seniority date would be Jan 3rd . Make sure you don't miss a phone call, be careful, keep your mouth shut, and you'll do fine. Good luck.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I drove during peak as an off the street casual. Got called in to work a day in Feb and a few more days here and there. After I accumulated my 30 days my seniority went back to thee day in Feb. The time you worked during the free period basically doesn't count.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In my local, any seasonal driver that is worked after Jan 1st begins the 30/90 hiring process. Starting Jan 2, count the days that you have worked. If you work 30 days within 90 calender days you are officially hired and you are in the union. You'll start paying union fees and past dues. Your hire/ seniority date would be Jan 3rd . Make sure you don't miss a phone call, be careful, keep your mouth shut, and you'll do fine. Good luck.

What he said.

I drove during peak as an off the street casual. Got called in to work a day in Feb and a few more days here and there. After I accumulated my 30 days my seniority went back to thee day in Feb. The time you worked during the free period basically doesn't count.
Man this explains everything about you. Now I understand.

Guys thank you for all the help so far! I started the driving class NOV 7 2012. I assume that is my hire date. I am in ohio I assume that is the central states supplement? I drove on jan 3 and 4. Then was contacted on Saturday, they wanted to know if I could work on preload? I drove on the 3rd at one center and on the 4th at a different center where I drove most of the peak because they needed me more, which was fine because the second center is closer to me anyhow. I am just trying to make heads or tails out of this.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Guys thank you for all the help so far! I started the driving class NOV 7 2012. I assume that is my hire date. I am in ohio I assume that is the central states supplement? I drove on jan 3 and 4. Then was contacted on Saturday, they wanted to know if I could work on preload? I drove on the 3rd at one center and on the 4th at a different center where I drove most of the peak because they needed me more, which was fine because the second center is closer to me anyhow. I am just trying to make heads or tails out of this.

Most (if not all) of Ohio is covered by the Central States supplement. Union liaison within the Central States recognize that Peak now extends into January (for either two or three weeks, depending on the source... the agreement was struck after the contract was signed - but I digress). Most likely, you're still classified as a seasonal driver & UPS is "legally" working you as such. Very slim chance otherwise.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Understood. The HR guy called and now has changed me to preload status. I assume that I am starting from scratch as far as seniority goes then?

All employees hired in November & December are considered seasonal. Even if you're retained with no interruption, your seniority will reflect a January date. Of course, you'll be earning Preload wages ($8.50-$9.50/hour) to start.