January 22, 2010

companal2

HR Supv
I hate to burst your bubble Integrity, but the the concerns are not investigated by anyone at corporate. The concerns are forwarded to the districts (the same people that you are trying to avoid) to investigate and resolve. You would be better served by going directly to your management team and if that doesn't work, go to the next level manager in your building.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hate to burst your bubble Integrity, but the the concerns are not investigated by anyone at corporate. The concerns are forwarded to the districts (the same people that you are trying to avoid) to investigate and resolve. You would be better served by going directly to your management team and if that doesn't work, go to the next level manager in your building.

That would require Integrity.

UPSBluRdg03

Dress accordingly. Trying to get them to make it comfortable aint gonna make UPS any better place to work. They will prob have to eliminate jobs in order to pay the heat bill. Then you will really be out in the cold.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Dear companal2,
This is not always the case. It is my understanding that when a name is given, they do send district people down to confront the person. This can be intimidating and I question this methodology, however I won't address that here. Maybe in another discussion thread.

When a concern has been brought forth anonymously there have been instances where it was assigned to a district person for investigation and their have been times that a corporate investigator has arrived to the facility to address the issue. I would hope that the executive in charge of handling the concerns from the UPS Help Line assign the concern to the person or persons that would bring about a resolution to the concern that is best for all. Whether this actually happens or not is irrelevant to the fact that this is the standard that I will hold them to.

Where did you get your information and what is your experience with using the UPS Help Line?

Sincerely,
I

pretzel_man

Dear companal2,
This is not always the case. It is my understanding that when a name is given, they do send district people down to confront the person. This can be intimidating and I question this methodology, however I won't address that here. Maybe in another discussion thread.

When a concern has been brought forth anonymously there have been instances where it was assigned to a district person for investigation and their have been times that a corporate investigator has arrived to the facility to address the issue. I would hope that the executive in charge of handling the concerns from the UPS Help Line assign the concern to the person or persons that would bring about a resolution to the concern that is best for all. Whether this actually happens or not is irrelevant to the fact that this is the standard that I will hold them to.

Where did you get your information and what is your experience with using the UPS Help Line?

Sincerely,
I

The help line is staffed by an outside company. It's managed by Corporate HR.

Corporate HR will send out to the district to get more information, without a doubt.

From there, it depends on what the district says. Corporate HR will stay involved until the case is closed, but that doesn't mean that they will necessarily investigate.

It depends on the issue and if the facts are in dispute. In this case, there won't be any disagreement in facts I assume. A hub is either hot or cold, and that fact will be not disputed.

As was said before, you are not going to be the first to raise the issue. An answer already exists, and this has already been worked through OSHA.

I loaded and unloaded trailers on the southwest side of a "desert" hub for quite a while. Yes, its hot... This isn't new information.

It will be interesting to see the result.

P-Man

Misort

The approach is wrong. Corporate will tell Region. Region tells District and District tells to Operations. Through deductive reasoning operations sups will figure out who made the call. Then you target on your back.

By attempting to be anonymous does not make you safe. Caller identifaction systems is most likely in use at the hotline. The person that answers follows a check list. the sex of caller, did caller voice's appear calm, or under duress, etc.

"FYI" If you really want to remain anonymous call from a prepaid phone the ones you see in Target. Also Integrity your IP address that you use to access this site is most likely known to guys in Atlanta. You really want to remain anonymous find a computer with a dail up modem. Dail up modems IP always change when you connect to the net. Well at the they used to don't know about now.

companal2

HR Supv
Integrity, my experience is first hand. I read the calls everyday and approximately 1 out of 100 rise to the level that region and/or corporate have to get involved. Most of the calls should not be called in to begin with. 95% of them should be handled by employees filing grievances, not calling the concern line. It's kinda hard to address the legitimate concerns when the district has to address every single call. Some employees (who actually identify themselves) call every single week for every petty reason that you can think off. It's like the boy who cried wolf. When the wolf really comes, no one takes it seriously.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The approach is wrong. Corporate will tell Region. Region tells District and District tells to Operations. Through deductive reasoning operations sups will figure out who made the call. Then you target on your back.

By attempting to be anonymous does not make you safe. Caller identifaction systems is most likely in use at the hotline. The person that answers follows a check list. the sex of caller, did caller voice's appear calm, or under duress, etc.

"FYI" If you really want to remain anonymous call from a prepaid phone the ones you see in Target. Also Integrity your IP address that you use to access this site is most likely known to guys in Atlanta. You really want to remain anonymous find a computer with a dail up modem. Dail up modems IP always change when you connect to the net. Well at the they used to don't know about now.

Dear Misort,
Where are you getting your information? What experience do you have in this area?

I know how it works.

Please read your UPS Charter, the current UPS Policy Book and the UPS Code Of Business Conduct. Retaliation is a serious offense and UPS executives know this. The UPS Code of Business Conduct section Asking Questions and Voicing Concerns, pages 4 and 5 should alleviate any fears you have about these things.

You can download the Code on UPSers.com.

Every UPS employee who wants to help make UPS a better place should have one, read it , live by it, and call any known violations in.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, my experience is first hand. I read the calls everyday and approximately 1 out of 100 rise to the level that region and/or corporate have to get involved. Most of the calls should not be called in to begin with. 95% of them should be handled by employees filing grievances, not calling the concern line. It's kinda hard to address the legitimate concerns when the district has to address every single call. Some employees (who actually identify themselves) call every single week for every petty reason that you can think off. It's like the boy who cried wolf. When the wolf really comes, no one takes it seriously.

Dear companal2,
I mean no disrespect to you but you should know better, since you are apparently involved or at least have strong personal opinions on the majority of concerns, than to discourage my choice to use the UPS Help Line and to remain anonymous while doing so.

Human Resource management people should have a superior knowledge of the UPS Code Of Business Conduct. The Code section Askinq Questions and Voicing Concerns, which can be found on pages 4 and 5, does not support your personal opinions.

Sincerely,
I

bellesotico

BOXstar
For what it's worth..we filed a heat grievance and won. The result? Major lineup changes and now the building has to be kept at a balmy 45 degrees.

Sweet.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
This is not always the case. It is my understanding that when a name is given, they do send district people down to confront the person.

in the words of the great one, here we go again. so tell us i, where does your understanding come from? what makes you the new expert answerman on all things ups?

as i do have personal experience in matters dealing with using the 800 number for issues, they dont "confront" the caller, they gather more information that was not given in the initial call. they ask for history's of the problem, data if available, and gather more information so that they are making informed decisions.

This can be intimidating and I question this methodology, however I won't address that here. Maybe in another discussion thread.

why would you question anything. you have 0 (that is zero) first hand knowledge of how anything works or the methodology used by ups. all you have is what you have gleaned in your quest to actually think you have a working knowledge of the system

When a concern has been brought forth anonymously there have been instances where it was assigned to a district person for investigation and their have been times that a corporate investigator has arrived to the facility to address the issue.

really? what are your sources? when, where, what about.

oh sorry, i forgot, you are the super secret squirrel of the investigative branch of the tin hat crowd from outer space.

I would hope that the executive in charge of handling the concerns from the UPS Help Line assign the concern to the person or persons that would bring about a resolution to the concern that is best for all.

so who would you recommend for handling the concern? you? a union ba? who would you recommend ups send down to bring about the resolution?

Whether this actually happens or not is irrelevant to the fact that this is the standard that I will hold them to.

you gonna do what??????? hold ups to your standards? what are they? you post about integrity, but hell, 95% of ups management exhibits more than you have. you spout all sorts of crap, but none with any integrity.

i got a better idea, where did you get your information and experience that makes you the non ups expert in this endeavor?

Sincerely,
I
Dear Misort,
Where are you getting your information? What experience do you have in this area?

again, i ask, where are you getting your information? what experience do you have in this area?

o wait, i see it now, you have read the code of conduct pages 4 & 5, and that is why you are the expert, right?

I know how it works. yup, read the book, am the expert.

Please read your UPS Charter, the current UPS Policy Book and the UPS Code Of Business Conduct. Retaliation is a serious offense and UPS executives know this.

do you realize what kind of idiot this post makes you sound like.

on one hand, you are going super secret anonymous so no one can identify you (like ups could do something against someone that does not even work at ups), then you post that there is no way ups officials would retaliate because it is a serious offense? so why the cloak and dagger?

oh yeah, i forgot, this lives up to the drama queen mentality you have used this far.

The UPS Code of Business Conduct section Asking Questions and Voicing Concerns, pages 4 and 5 should alleviate any fears you have about these things.

Every UPS employee who wants to help make UPS a better place should have one, read it , live by it, and call any known violations in.

Sincerely,
I

i do have one more question for you, i.

now that you have called in with your concern, how secret do you think you will stay, since you posted everything but the time you called on this website? after all, they know you dont work for ups. they know you dont have a working knowledge of anything ups. they know you are a blow hard that talks about integrity, but has none.

so what do you really think they will do with your concern? really, what?

i would suggest that with your background, your forwarning, and your total lack of integrity, i doubt it was taken seriously.

but i am sure you will be contacted with a reply to your concern........

d

Misort

Dear Misort,

I know how it works.

Please read your UPS Charter, the current UPS Policy Book and the UPS Code Of Business Conduct. Retaliation is a serious offense and UPS executives know this. The UPS Code of Business Conduct section Asking Questions and Voicing Concerns, pages 4 and 5 should alleviate any fears you have about these things.

Sincerely,
I

My information is first hand knowledge. I know someone who made an anonymous phone call about several code of conduct violations. When region fowarded concern to district then to ops. OPS asked region for more infomation on the caller. Region just said caller's sex and caller's tone when called was made. Ops figured out who it was. Two weeks later operations/labor manager retaliatied against employee.

Think about it who would want someone in their department tattletaling to Atlanta. Atlanta is going to get on Region and District,then OPS. The tattletale makes OPS management look incomptent, then District, then Region. You want to keep your own problems INHOUSE you don't want Atlanta sending down people to clean your house, because house cleaning starts at the top. UPS is like military you either conform or you're out.

Code of business, conduct, is a facade for public relations. If this Code of Conduct was real UPS would'nt have these multiple lawsuits by fromer managers against them, along with the union grievances.

It's all about UPS maintaining the untarnished public image UPS has with the general public.

Integrity your idealist world of UPS only exists in your mind.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
All "personal" heaters inside the operating facility should immediately be removed or turned off so that no individuals are discriminatingly afforded a work temperature that exceeds the allowable indoor temperature.

interesting thoughts you had. but you come off as a person that has to work in a cold part of the building and every one else gets to be warm. in other words, you come off as a cry jealous cry baby.

first off, all the jobs at ups inside te facility are not the same. some get a workout that has them sweating at temps below 45, while others have jobs where movement is at a minimum, and they would still freeze at 60.

so your whole premise of a solution is faulty.

ive worked the shifts inside the building. many days, the mustashe was frozen. and you think 60 is gonna fly?

what basis did you pick out 60? why not 55? 50? 65?

of did you just pick a number off the top of your head?

it is interesting that you again are asking others to show integrity, when all they have to do is look here to see how little you have shown.

all things considered, im sure it made you feel better to stand up as the lone voice of the masses. and that is all that counts.

d

Ghost in the Darkness

Just tell yourself it could always be worse. In the summer I just remind myself I'm not a roofer or a paver. Those guys have it rough.
In the winter, I remember at least I'm not out there in the elements tending to cattle. I spent many a winter day on an open tractor feeding roundbales and breaking ice on the ponds.
In short, my motto is "It could always be worse."

I have to agree with you here. I used to trim grapes before going to work at UPS so I know what is like outside in the cold, windy, snowblowing conditions. I'd have windburn and would always get asked if i went tanning or went o vacation somewhere sunny. As for the hot days... I never complain cuz I love summer. I know when winter comes those super hot days would be welcomed by most everyone.

Dress in layers inside, you can shed clothes as you get too warm... wear thin gloves (prbly better with all the stuff like swine flu out there) and follow bigbrownhen's advice "it could be worse".

Integrity

Binge Poster
My information is first hand knowledge. I know someone who made an anonymous phone call about several code of conduct violations. When region fowarded concern to district then to ops. OPS asked region for more infomation on the caller. Region just said caller's sex and caller's tone when called was made. Ops figured out who it was. Two weeks later operations/labor manager retaliatied against employee.

Think about it who would want someone in their department tattletaling to Atlanta. Atlanta is going to get on Region and District,then OPS. The tattletale makes OPS management look incomptent, then District, then Region. You want to keep your own problems INHOUSE you don't want Atlanta sending down people to clean your house, because house cleaning starts at the top. UPS is like military you either conform or you're out.

Code of business, conduct, is a facade for public relations. If this Code of Conduct was real UPS would'nt have these multiple lawsuits by fromer managers against them, along with the union grievances.

It's all about UPS maintaining the untarnished public image UPS has with the general public.

Integrity your idealist world of UPS only exists in your mind.

Dear Misort,

I mean no disrespect to you, but if you are relying on the testimony of the person who made the call, that is second hand knowledge. It could be first hand if you were an eyewitness to the call and to every follow up discussion. First hand knowledge would apply more if you made the call yourself and handled all the follow up discussions personally.

You are correct. Local management do not like calls to the UPS Help Line.

You are incorrect. The Code is meant to be followed by every single UPS employee.

UPS does not have an untarnished public image with the general public

This is not true. The ideals that I expound upon exist in the UPS Charter, the current UPS Policy Book, and the UPS Code Of Business Conduct.

Sincerely,

I

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The Code is meant to be followed by every single UPS employee.
but since you are not an employee, then the code does not apply to you, correct?

just trying to clarify what soapbox you are standing on today

d

tieguy

Banned
Dear companal2,
I mean no disrespect to you but you should know better, since you are apparently involved or at least have strong personal opinions on the majority of concerns, than to discourage my choice to use the UPS Help Line and to remain anonymous while doing so.

Human Resource management people should have a superior knowledge of the UPS Code Of Business Conduct. The Code section Askinq Questions and Voicing Concerns, which can be found on pages 4 and 5, does not support your personal opinions.

Sincerely,
I

As comp points out the help line has become abused. If someone does not get their way or gets pissed at the boss they call the 1-800 line. Most of these are done by anonymos cowards.

Your argument above is really that ups management should know the ups code of conduct and then define that information the same way you have chosen to do so. You posting the point that ups has these various guidelines is done with arrogance as if you think it somehow makes you look smart here.

Your case is another wild goose chase. There are legal requirements ups has to abide by that specifically address the heating of warehouse type facilities. UPS meets those guidelines but will probably not exceed them for cost reasons.
But the good news is your posts are entertaining if nothing else.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
morning tie

if you read his posts, he goes from proclaiming himself an expert about ups, and then posts the above, which again shows he is clueless on how ups works.

he might have access to a book or two, but in reality, all he is doing is blowing smoke.

just like his insistance that personal heaters be banned.

someone unloading a trailer does not need one, someone sitting at a computer does.

anyone with a basic knowledge of ups and the inner workings would know.

funny thing is, if he showed some integrity, i would support him myself, or at least assist. but i learned a long time ago, to choose who i ride with very carefully.

d