Jax Using golf cart helpers instead of cover drivers

cino321

Abuse? It sounds like a smart business decision as this is a very effective use of a helper.

Our mall driver drops a TP-60 in the parking lot. His helper works out of the TP-60. He has his own DIAD----would you consider him to be a driver?

I think it would be a smart business decision to can you and replace you two non-union drivers, what do you think?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Anyone working and delivering without any help or supervision is a driver, not a helper and should get driver wages. A helper may use a DIAD, but a drivers nearby, telling the helper what to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anyone working and delivering without any help or supervision is a driver, not a helper and should get driver wages. A helper may use a DIAD, but a drivers nearby, telling the helper what to do.

How much supervision does a helper need while delivering residentials? This is by far the easiest thing that I have to teach my helper each year----usually takes them all of 5 minutes to figure out.

Drop off 50-100 stops, quickly orient the helper and tell him/her to call if they have any problems.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Absolutely not, just because he is by himself does not justify driver status.

What is he driving? A cart.:rofl:

so under your train of thought ups could have preload load up a bunch of trailers, one driver could go drop them all off somewhere and helpers could deliver all of it. Guess we only need one driver per center then.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
How much supervision does a helper need while delivering residentials? This is by far the easiest thing that I have to teach my helper each year----usually takes them all of 5 minutes to figure out.

Drop off 50-100 stops, quickly orient the helper and tell him/her to call if they have any problems.

Thats not a helper its a satellite route. If they were doing that here i guarantee yoi I would be filing on it, and winning!!

upschuck

Abuse? It sounds like a smart business decision as this is a very effective use of a helper.

Our mall driver drops a TP-60 in the parking lot. His helper works out of the TP-60. He has his own DIAD----would you consider him to be a driver?

Yes, A driver out of a satellite center.

so under your train of thought ups could have preload load up a bunch of trailers, one driver could go drop them all off somewhere and helpers could deliver all of it. Guess we only need one driver per center then.

If I read the posts correctly, we are talking about dropping a TP-60 off at a mall, and then a helper delivers the mall, while the driver delivers elsewhere. And yes, that is a helper job, not a driver job, if driver list is exhausted.

We have drivers drop packages off at the dock of office buildings for as long as I can remember at Christmas, and helper delivers those, calls driver to go to the next one. No difference at all except a locked TP-60 being more secure.

P.S. I meant to say hand cart, not golf cart, in case you thought I meant golf cart

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I spoke too soon, I found this at a clubhouse in my biggest sub-division yesterday. A storage unit with a gas-powered golf cart and trailer. So I get the pleasure of carrying stops and a DIAD down to this every morning and retrieving the DIAD and clerk packages at the end of the day. With no extra time allowance. 021.jpg
021.jpg

dogs.bite.me

Yep, our center has done it for the last two years. And when the mis-deliverers come in.... they come ask me where I left it like im supposed to know. . . .

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In our local Grievances have established that Golf Cart Drivers are paid Cover Driver Pay(around 27.50 an hour) and not the $8.50 an hour helper pay

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In our local Grievances have established that Golf Cart Drivers are paid Cover Driver Pay(around 27.50 an hour) and not the $8.50 an hour helper pay
I can't wait to tell my golf cart driver this tomorrow, she will be very happy!