JAY LENO puts his foot in his mouth and i hope he regrets it!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
On Sunday, October 23rd 2011, we had our annual love ride. Our Chapter (golden state Hogs-glendale) puts on the event each year. This year, Jay Leno was grand marshall as well as other co-marshalls.

During the morning proceedings, LENO spoke to the crowd in attendance and made his usual jokes and stuff. LENO, a rider himself, would lead the procession out of Glendale onto the freeway and travel north to Castaic Lake. Before the group departed, LENO made a statement that I hope haunts him FOREVER!

When he said it, we said to each other : "is this guy nuts?" We couldnt believe what we heard.

LENO:
"“Every year, [the organizer] says ‘Drive safe,’” Leno told the crowd in kicking
off the 28th annual Love Ride in Glendale. “I’m gonna say, ‘Don’t drive safe.’ I
wanna see somebody go down. So it’ll be fun. I want it to be in front or behind
me and see a whole row of bikes go down. Get drunk, fall off the road. We’ve all
become too damn polite…we haven’t had one incident.
”"

The problem with this statement is this... Just a few minutes later as the hundreds of motorcycles traveled on the 5 fwy making the transition to the 101 /5 fwy merge, one harley riding "two up" ( man and woman) collided with a semi truck and were killed instantly when the trucks rear wheels ran them both over.
Jay Leno joke preceded collision - Glendale News Press

Harley riders preach safety, and our chapter does the same. For LENO to make this statement and then a double fatality to occur minutes later, shows we made a mistake in making him our honorary grand marshall.

Our Chapter regrets the loss of life in our event and this may put an end to the love ride in the future.

RIP Riders Romarino Zeri 51 and his passenger Julie Cameron 38.

Peace.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
OMG. Being a smartass and wishing someone dead are too totally different things. Leno is spot on about one thing; we all have become too polite. God forbid we offend someone.
RIP Mr. Zeri and Ms. Cameron.

bbsam

Staff member
It is unfortunate, but I can see Jay's point. Afterall, who watches NASCAR to see who wins? We wanna see carnage. Just part of our culture and heritage.

I'm not surprised Leno made a joke, he was a comedian at one time and still fancies himself to be. IMO, the joke he made was inappropriate for the outing. One never knows what can happen in an instant. If that is how he feels about bikers, he shouldn't own a bike nor attend any of their activities.
If a laugh is all he was really wanting, I can think of several jokes that would have gotten the laughs without wishing harm to anyone.
I hope the friends and families of these two people find the strength to get through this tragedy.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Would TOS be upset or even mentioning this if it was Bill Maher who told the same joke...not that TOS has any problem with Jay not being a typical Hollywood Liberal...

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Would TOS be upset or even mentioning this if it was Bill Maher who told the same joke...not that TOS has any problem with Jay not being a typical Hollywood Liberal...

LUCIFER, the difference would be, MAHER isnt a rider, and LENO is. LENO tried to be funny with a subject that wasnt funny. With almost 1000 motorcycles in the event, to wish that multiple bikes go down because it would be funny is a STUPID statement.

There is nothing politically correct in riding safely. To suggest that bikers have become to "PC" and need to become unsafe on the road is foolish advice.

There are hundreds of bikers who are offended by his comments.

Jay may not be a hollywood liberal, but he isnt a solid republican supporter either. Just last night as the President was on his show, LENO dogged out Sen, Mitch McConnell for McConnells comments on how it was "their" goal to make president obama a one term president.

Leno said those kinds of statements hurt the country.

I agree.

Peace.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
LUCIFER, the difference would be, MAHER isnt a rider, and LENO is. LENO tried to be funny with a subject that wasnt funny. With almost 1000 motorcycles in the event, to wish that multiple bikes go down because it would be funny is a STUPID statement.

There is nothing politically correct in riding safely. To suggest that bikers have become to "PC" and need to become unsafe on the road is foolish advice.

There are hundreds of bikers who are offended by his comments.

Jay may not be a hollywood liberal, but he isnt a solid republican supporter either. Just last night as the President was on his show, LENO dogged out Sen, Mitch McConnell for McConnells comments on how it was "their" goal to make president obama a one term president.

Leno said those kinds of statements hurt the country.

I agree.

Peace.

I dont disagree that it was a stupid statement but similar stupid statements have been made by your heros and yet thats OK with you. Kinda like Bidens Rape comments. I wonder how many have been raped since his statements????
I also agree that that Mitch's statement was wrong...he should have kept it private.
:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't believe for a second that Leno meant his comments to be taken seriously. He was playing to the crowd. If nothing had happened it would have been just another Leno joke. Unfortunately, that was not the case. So now his comments are in poor taste or thought to be said in seriousness. It was a tragedy, what happened. The loss of 2 lives while riding a motorcycle. Everyone involved will be affected, not only the motorcyclists but the truck driver. I see both of these sides with a clear perspective as I have been in both positions, as a rider and as a truck driver. You can vilify Leno all you want, but I would bet that he is more regretful of his comments than you could possibly ever know.