JCATS Question

AllBoxes

Hey guy's FedEx express here formally Ground for two years.

As of Friday night I am ranked number one out of two on a RT driving job. Nov 9th marks my one year mark at express.
The job info said that the RTD position is posted with a waiver.

Someone told me that the "waiver" removes the being employed a year without moving rule.

My manager said they will probably hold me 30 days if they get close to peak before moving me. I just wonder if they will try to get me on the year rule. I hope the waiver thing will save me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

AllBoxes

I guess I haven't gotten that far yet, thank you.
Any clue about what the waiver means?
Or if stations are known for keep drivers from leaving due to being just shy of the "year requirement"?

Sent using BrownCafe App

overflowed

I guess I haven't gotten that far yet, thank you.
Any clue about what the waiver means?
Or if stations are known for keep drivers from leaving due to being just shy of the "year requirement"?

Sent using BrownCafe App
If you're a good driver and they feel they need you they will try and not let you leave. However, if they can't stand you they'll let you go before the year is up. That is how it works usually. How bad off is your station with staffing?

AllBoxes

Two just left. But we have been stocking for peak. I pushed to get a friend hired from Home Delivery. He quit the third day he was on the road. Managers sent him out at 100% all three days without training him on the rout.

Sent using BrownCafe App

AllBoxes

But yeah I'm starting to see that is the issue here. Too late to drop my route % now! I hear that the RTD job is pretty awesome. Well at least different from what I'm use to.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Two just left. But we have been stocking for peak. I pushed to get a friend hired from Home Delivery. He quit the third day he was on the road. Managers sent him out at 100% all three days without training him on the route.
Oh heaven forbid they train someone, that costs Fred money. I hope he brought back a big pile of Dex 01's on the third day. The managers deserve it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey guy's FedEx express here formally Ground for two years.

As of Friday night I am ranked number one out of two on a RT driving job. Nov 9th marks my one year mark at express.
The job info said that the RTD position is posted with a waiver.

Someone told me that the "waiver" removes the being employed a year without moving rule.

My manager said they will probably hold me 30 days if they get close to peak before moving me. I just wonder if they will try to get me on the year rule. I hope the waiver thing will save me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Translation: FedEx can no longer even keep RTDs. In the past, you needed a lot of seniority just to be considered, and now, they're taking people with less than a year.

Here's my advice. Get the training, and then start looking once you have some experience under your belt. UPS is hiring Feeder Drivers off the street for the first time I can think of, but they want lots of experience and doubles. The pay progression for RTD is just as slow as courier, so you're not going to get rich.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Agree with the above.
Get the training and immediately start looking at other companies.
Fedex has zero pay progression,what you are hired at is what you will always make in real terms.Get trained and get out.

AllBoxes

Well I got hired right before peak and got my Ground route area. After that I had to cry to get an actual route and not be thrown around every day. Soooo I went to PM. They have been giving me 5 hours a week for the last 4 months due to only working 30 hours, not subtracting breaks. Overall I've been treated pretty well.

My Home buddy, he just finished the route good and told the gatekeeper he quit lol

$81,000 at UPS would be amazing!
I hear RT drivers get $4 more an hour than I make now?

I wish there was a way to find out about the Waiver info.

vantexan

When you sign an offer letter you are bound by the terms of the letter, such as 18 months before you can start bidding on transfers out of the station. However if a job is posted with a waiver in time requirements, you may bid on it even if you haven't fulfilled your offer letter requirement. If you are number one in points you may take that position if your senior mgr chooses to allow you to. If you've fulfilled your offer letter requirement then you may bid on jobs without senior mgr approval.

AllBoxes

Great thanks guys!

No surprise but the RTD opening is PT, currently I am FT.

I know it would be different In all areas but I wonder if they try to get the PTers hours. I know with us they get full time hours. I heard RTDers get whatever weekend OT they want.
South is my area as well fyi-RollTideDriver

I'm in school FT as well. So it wouldn't kill me to work less. Buttt I don't want to commit to being poor.
I have 6 years of law enforcement.
Once I get my school I hope to shoot for that security job. It seems pretty amazing with great pay. Just going the distance is the rough thing.

AllBoxes

Just $1.20 more an hour:( and only 20 hours a week. 3am - 6am mostly. And I have to unload a small plane. Is there some big plus I'm missing with the RTD job?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Just $1.20 more an hour:( and only 20 hours a week. 3am - 6am mostly. And I have to unload a small plane. Is there some big plus I'm missing with the RTD job?

Normally it's an easier job. As opposed to delivering lots of packages, you usually just drive one (big) box from the Ramp to a station. Help pull the cans out of the box and when cans are emptied, load them in the box and drive it back to the Ramp. Maybe help move full cans around before you leave the Ramp in the morning, depending on how they do things there. Easy peasy. I don't know where you are that you would unload a small plane. RTD is a laid back, stress free job unless you are in an area with bad traffic. When I was an RTD the amount of stand around and wait time used to kill me. I wasn't used to it.

Maui

The job may have changed, but when I was at FE RTD did not have to handle any packages. I worked at three locations and NEVER did an RTD have to handle any packages. They just drove and moved cans.

A waiver is just that. It waives the time in location and/or time in position requirements from your offer letter and from the general posting requirements. It means anyone that is qualified can apply for the job. Your current location CAN override a waiver, but that almost never happens. Your Sr. may even tell you that s/he can override the waiver, but at the end of the day they usually don't stop you from transferring.

Do you already have a Class A?

AllBoxes

No they said they would send me to a driving school. Well they said school, I assume that is what it is. Thanks for the info. Dealing with their decision now. They are "having a meeting".