Jerk businesses (just venting)

BrownTexas

I just tell customers our policy.

Sorry sir I can't allow you to open this package. I can mark this package as possible damage and, if it is, it will make the claims process easier for you. Otherwise you will have to refuse it and contact your shipper to have another one delivered to you as prompt as possible.

You have to let them know there is nothing you can do if it is damaged. You can't wave a wand and fix it. All the pis.sing and moaning they are doing to you is what needs to happen once you have left with or without a signature.

Being firm but polite, and friendly, will get you much further than being and a hole yourself.

Also, realize you are paid by the hour. Getting off of work at 8 means overtime. Don't like it? Get on the 9.5 list.

TG43

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

When I was newer I let that stuff bother me, by the end I didn't care. I'd just pull up a chair and wait til they were done doing whatever. Much less stressfull once I stopped caring.

I don't mind at all when I'm at the business. It's dealing with the center manager saying "OMG your going to be paid waaaayy over" is what I can't stand.

It's UPS your mad at and now your using them as your punching bag.

Funny you say that. That is the line I plan on using with customers using ME as their punching bag! IE: "Look, I'm not your punching bag" (I only move the package from the truck to your office).

Also accept the fact that many of these employees make considerably less than you. Consider this: many of these employees wish they were making your coin.

That super fatty check every week deposited into my checking account at 12:01 Friday morning.

Probably true about making more than them. I definitely believe that is why some people feel they can treat me like shi.t. Just like when my center manager told me I would be "making $100,000 in 5 years", in other words he can treat me like s.hit because I'll be making that in 5 years (which isn't true btw).

Just to clear something up though...I make $20.87/hr, which is almost $2.00/hr less than I made about 6 years ago at another job. I quit because it was nights (til 10:30) and went to usps...was there 2 years, then my/our pay was cut $5.90/hr so I went back to old job. Then company was "dissolved"...a different company took over and wouldn't hire the past employees. So that's how I came to be at ups.

I work on avg 3-4 days a week. Had to borrow $2,400 from my parents for the first time in my life. So yeah I am bitter, I admit. I feel I've been screwed over a few times. Getting inside rate for a weeks vacation (10.10 @ 20 hrs) s.hit like that...what a joke. 9.5 list....lol, what's that...I'm a cover.

I was thinking of sticking it out to next year when I get a $4.00/hr raise ($12/hr raise for air). Pretty sure the $ won't make me happy though.

Last edited:

ArcherUTR

Thanks SCV and Archer.

This business and people there are usually fine btw. It was just a big deal to them this computer-thing was a couple thousand $ I guess.

I feel I needed to draw the line when they told me Jim-bob down back needed to come up and look at it. How would you handle this? How do you explain there options? I genuinely want to get better at dealing with these people.

He didn't do a damn thing different than either of the 2 people in the office did btw, except after staring at it he gave me a hard time then signed. Either person in the office could have signed.

I offer to type the word 'damaged' in the remark column next to the package just in case anything comes up. This usually satisfies most persons. I encourage them to take photos of the box before and as they open it.

If a package looks bad enough I will even wait for the customer to open the package in front of me after they have signed for it in my board and notate any damage.

If it's truly :censored2:ed and we can also easily put it back in the box together and re-tape it, I will refuse or sheet as damaged. Else, they need to contact the vendor for a damaged call tag.

Yeah, yeah yeah...that's not what UPS says to do.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I offer to type the word 'damaged' in the remark column next to the package just in case anything comes up. This usually satisfies most persons. I encourage them to take photos of the box before and as they open it.

If a package looks bad enough I will even wait for the customer to open the package in front of me after they have signed for it in my board and notate any damage.

If it's truly :censored2:ed and we can also easily put it back in the box together and re-tape it, I will refuse or sheet as damaged. Else, they need to contact the vendor for a damaged call tag.

Yeah, yeah yeah...that's not what UPS says to do.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1434210054.422857.jpg

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Quote <Probably true about making more than them. I definitely believe that is why some people feel they can treat me like shi.t. Just like when my center manager told me I would be "making $100,000 in 5 years", in other words he can treat me like s.hit because I'll be making that in 5 years (which isn't true btw).

Just to clear something up though...I make $20.87/hr, which is almost $2.00/hr less than I made about 6 years ago at another job. I quit because it was nights (til 10:30) and went to usps...was there 2 years, then my/our pay was cut $5.90/hr so I went back to old job. Then company was "dissolved"...a different company took over and wouldn't hire the past employees. So that's how I came to be at ups.

I work on avg 3-4 days a week. Had to borrow $2,400 from my parents for the first time in my life. So yeah I am bitter, I admit. I feel I've been screwed over a few times. Getting inside rate for a weeks vacation (10.10 @ 20 hrs) s.hit like that...what a joke. 9.5 list....lol, what's that...I'm a cover.

I was thinking of sticking it out to next year when I get a $4.00/hr raise ($12/hr raise for air). Pretty sure the $ won't make me happy though.> Quote

We all had to pay our dues and put our time in to get to full rate driver mark. Stick it out. It does get better in time with regards to money and routes. I did part time split shift while working another job for 7 years before I went full time and got through progression. After 20 years, I'm where I need to be and my family is taken care of for it. Put your dues in and it will pay dividends for you later on in life. I was lucky to start at 18, and now almost 39, my life is secure to where the kids are well taken care of, the house is good and retirement savings and such are there.

It's like anything else in life, you'll get what you give. Hang in there. It does get better

porkwagon

1. Sign but note the visual damage in the remarks column.
2. If the visual damage is more than just a few creases in the box, open the box and allow them to briefly inspect the contents, noting the damage in the remarks column.
If the damage is more than a few creases then I deem that parcel a "distressed parcel" and according to the DIAD training, we are not to deliver distressed parcels. We are to record them as missed and then notify the center.

rod

Retired 22 years
I keep dealing with these inspector gadget types as well. I'm losing patience with this bull:censored2:. I swear, one of these days I'm just going to take the box in the middle of their inspection and start walking towards the truck. When they object I'll just be adamant about signing for it now and inspecting it at their leisure or state that I understand that they're refusing the package. And then I'll give my center the heads up, because this :censored2: is getting ridiculous.

I did that a few times in my career when things got totally out of hand. I would politely tell them that just because they signed for it doesn't mean the couldn't file a damage claim later. I told them they were more than welcome to meet later at the UPS center and open their stuff in front of my management people but I just didn't have time to do it at their business. Once you grabbed the box they usually would change their tune but I did have a few that would be waiting at the building when I got back. Always remember--until they have actually signed for it that box is yours.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

I don't mind at all when I'm at the business. It's dealing with the center manager saying "OMG your going to be paid waaaayy over" is what I can't stand.

Funny you say that. That is the line I plan on using with customers using ME as their punching bag! IE: "Look, I'm not your punching bag" (I only move the package from the truck to your office).

Probably true about making more than them. I definitely believe that is why some people feel they can treat me like shi.t. Just like when my center manager told me I would be "making $100,000 in 5 years", in other words he can treat me like s.hit because I'll be making that in 5 years (which isn't true btw).

I was thinking of sticking it out to next year when I get a $4.00/hr raise ($12/hr raise for air). Pretty sure the $ won't make me happy though.
Patience YOUNG SKYWALKER, theres always going to be roadblocks in the way along the journey of life, just the way it is. Just have to be patient, keep plugging away at it when problems arise and dont get beat down mentally about things. Things work in mysteriously ways. Some things in life you have no control over but the things you do have control over in life, master them and make them work in your favor and last lesson, always try n turn your weakness or a negative into your strength or a positive.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. Sign but note the visual damage in the remarks column.
2. If the visual damage is more than just a few creases in the box, open the box and allow them to briefly inspect the contents, noting the damage in the remarks column.
How do you set a "briefly" time limit on the customer once you have lost control of the delivery situation by violating procedures and allowing them to open it?

You cant. Once you let them start inspecting it, you are trapped there and will have no choice but to stand there and wait until they are ready to sign. And you have also set a precedent for future deliveries.

The bottom line is that there is an established procedure for dealing with damage claims and it does NOT involve the driver allowing the customer to inspect prior to signing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the box is trashed but the contents are fine I will let them check it out to make sure before they sign.

If the box and contents are both trashed it will be sheeted as missed with TRASHED in the remarks.

Checking it out does not have to take all day.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You can make a lot of money sitting around in the center manager's office talking about all the reasons you were paid over.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Ever deliver to a business that must close early Friday but M-T, the pickup is never ready? Oy vey!