Jim Casey Scholarship - Need info

djkre8r

My daughter is a Senior in high school and is getting her scholarship stuff together. I am trying to find some info on the Jim Casey Scholarship. I have searched upsers.com but can't seem to find any information. Thanks in advance.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yeah, that screwed me too. I thought they had to apply in senior year, but found out they apply 2 years ahead of going to college...

barnyard

KTM rider
We had 2 Casey winners in my bldg. It is a fantastic scholarship. Have to apply by middle of junior year and have to have taken either the ACT or SAT. Whichever one it was, my daughter's adviser said, "You don't have to take that test, unless you are applying at an Ivy league school." That was the test score she needed. By the time we found out, the next scheduled test was 2 weeks after the application deadline.

Bums me out too. My daughter's resume was as strong as the 2 winners from my center. I am fairly certain she would have received one.

As it turns out, she went into physics, where there are not many women and there is lots of money for women pursuing a physics degree. She paid all her student debt after her 1st year of grad school and her grad school salary has her sitting in pretty good shape.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Available Scholarships For Children Of UPS Employees
Bringing the dream of a college education closer to reality is what UPS scholarships help fund. As the cost to attend colleges and universities continues to rise, UPS supports a wide range of scholarship programs to ensure students have the opportunity to pursue higher education. Through the Foundation for Independent Higher Education (FIHE), The UPS Foundation supports scholarships at all of the 665 independent colleges nationwide as well as several National Merit Scholars each year. In addition, The Foundation funds scholarships for the children of UPS employees.

James E. Casey Scholarship Program
The James E. Casey Scholarship Program was established in 1963 for the purpose of offering scholarship support to children of UPS employees who planned to enter four–year degree programs at colleges and universities. Scholarships are awarded in amounts ranging from $2,000 to $6,000 per year over four years of undergraduate study at a college or university. These programs also include scholarships for Achievement Scholars, Merit Scholars, Canadian and Mexican students.

The competition for the scholarships is open to any student who is a U.S. citizen and whose parent is a regular UPS employee on the date of the student's application and at the time of award.

The George D. Smith Scholarship Program
The George D. Smith Scholarship Program was established in 1983 to provide support for children of full–time UPS employees who are high school seniors planning to enroll in full–time courses of study of two years or less. The scholarships range from $500 to $2,000 per year. Eligible programs include those at business schools, vocational–technical schools, and associate degree programs at four–year colleges and universities. The programs must result in either an associate degree or another formal certification of skills.

UPS Scholarships

Vivan & Theodore Johnson scholarship

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/james-r-hoffa-memorial-scholarship.356767/

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We had 2 Casey winners in my bldg. It is a fantastic scholarship. Have to apply by middle of junior year and have to have taken either the ACT or SAT. Whichever one it was, my daughter's adviser said, "You don't have to take that test, unless you are applying at an Ivy league school."
It's the PSAT aka NMSQT they want them to take to qualify in the Junior year.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a center manager whos daughter won the full free ride Casey for 4 years. She went about half of one year, got knocked up by some football player then quit school. Nice----brag about your kid now Ms. center manager.

onestoptogo

My son won the Casey scholarship and received $6000 a year towards his education. The school he attended was need blind. This basically means if you get accepted, you will be able to attend regardless of ability to pay. The full tuition was over $50,000 a year and was scaled down based on ability to pay. The rich kids paid full price, but the son of a Ups driver only had to pay $27,000 a year. Unfortunately, since we received a reduced tuition the scholarship made no difference in the amount we had to pay. The school received the Casey money, but we were still required to pay the $27,000 a year. It still was a great honor that he won the scholarship.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We had a center manager whos daughter won the full free ride Casey for 4 years. She went about half of one year, got knocked up by some football player then quit school. Nice----brag about your kid now Ms. center manager.

"Let me show you pictures of my grand-kid"!