Job cuts are coming

5 year vet mgmt guy

I can not help but respond to a hardworking teamster that believes formal education does not have an effect on leadership capabilities. I for one have more formal education (MBA) than a majority of the "higher ups" and feel that formal education does not make you a better leder. It supports creative thinking which generates more / better ideas and methods to manage effectively. Having an open mind will be the key to our organizations success in the future. Educated people will help us to get there.

Hey bbbbbbbbbubba,
Why do you only pick on urban drivers? When you were "earning" your big degree did you learn the difference between fact and truth? If you do not know the difference, then you did not pay close enough attention in class.

Pick on someone like me.

Rural route driver in the hired- help( i assume by hired-help you mean a lowly hourly employee) ranks that was lucky enough to be allowed to get a high school diploma. I will let Tooner defend herself.

You state we will have big problems coming our way. Bring them on. One of the benefits of graduating from the "School of Hard Knocks"(if your not familiar with that term, consult you elders) is you learn that many people are educated over their intelligence level. Knowledge is a combination of experience and learning. You seem to have very little experience.

So, the gauntlet has been thrown down. I will just wait and see if you are willing to pick it up.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Roger that, I'm a Troll.

Troll Troll Troll.

Overpaid Drivers, Overpaid Drivers, Overpaid Drivers.

It would be one thing to appreciate your well-paid job as a driver, it is another thing to be so obnoxious about it that you are a troll.
More proof that you're a troll.

I would say pretty much all UPS drivers make above 58K. Remember this little thing called Overtime....

They do pretty damn well for themselves. A sizeable majority of the American workforce earns less than what they do.
There certainly is a demographic that earns a lot less. UPS drivers definately earn their keep. End of discussion.

G

gorthicallibizim

Cezanne said, "....playing dumb has become a real option and some of us have got it down to an art.". :thumbup1:

I agree completely. We get paid the same whether we are smart or dumb.

On more than one occasion the company has shown me they aren't interested in what I think.

Some are not playing dumb but really are. 99% to be more accurate

H

Hoserisaloser

More proof that you're a troll.

There certainly is a demographic that earns a lot less. UPS drivers definately earn their keep. End of discussion.

No, not the end of the discussion.

Some of you earn your keep, some don't -- just like anywhere else. Many of you slide through using the union to your advantage -- I don't blame you, I would too. You earn your keep to keep your job -- like everyone else. This is not the point. The point is that you earn a lot for what you do. Whether you are overpaid or not is something for hours, perhaps years, of debate.

Now, Hosebag, end of discussion.

audi2006

Uh oh! Hoser says its the end of discussion! I better agree with him or he might leave me negative feedback and i wont get one of those cute little sayings by my name! Ouch, that hurts so bad! Forum bully! What i truly want is forum seniority! Can i then file grievances against posters with less feedback for leaving too many posts when i should be doing it? Who is the forum steward that i can complain to?
Drivers earn every penny? Yeah up to the first 2000 pennies an hour you make. After that its overboard.

over9five

Staff member
I wonder what you think of baseball and football players, who get paid much more than UPS drivers to.....play games?

How about actors who get paid much more than UPS drivers to.... pretend?

How about plumbers? They get paid much more than us just to clean drains.

How about politicians? They suck the public dry. Are they really worth what we pay them?

UPS drivers are well paid, BUT YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN THIS CASE.

audi2006

9/5... all those you referenced.. HAVE A SKILL THAT THEY BRING TO THEIR EMPLOYER! Your skill is that you could load trucks while looking at a little sheet that told you where they went for 5 years or so and became a driver!

over9five

Staff member
Have a skill????

Please re-read my examples.

PRETENDING to be someone else.

PLAYING a game.

CLEANING a pipe.

SUCKING the public dry.

These people make 10 times what a UPS driver makes. Where's the skill????

audi2006

Over 95. Can you run a 4.3 40 yard dash? Consistantly knock down an NBA 3 pointer, hit a 95 mile an hour fastball?
Can you act?
Do you have to call someone when your drains are backed up?
Would people vote for you if you ran for office?
The answer to all this No? - Weird.
Now tell me what skill a driver brings day 1 to being a driver. I mean first day on a route by himself. Please im dying to hear it.

over9five

Staff member
Were all the people I mentioned able to do what they do on day one? Or did it take time?

Can the actor, plumber, or politician safely drive a large vehicle in the time standards required by UPS?

As for the 40 yard dash, 3 pointer, acting, and fast ball, I'm sure given some time, I could do any of that. It's not skill, it's PRACTICE.

People get paid as much as the market allows. If no-one paid to go to baseball games, do you think baseball players would collect their enormous salaries?

We dumb truck drivers are under contract. Any time UPS thinks we're priced out of the market, all they have to do is NOT enter into the next contract. I guess (right now) we must be worth it.

audi2006

Oh, i get it, you practiced delivering packages as a child and after years of doing it every day, simply for the love of it and because you were REALLY good at it, UPS sent a scout to watch you do it, then called and offered you a ton of money to come do it for them. That how it went?
Im sure that all the people lining the streets watching you and cheering you as you open that bulk head door and grab that package is why you make what you make. Not to mention all those little kids asking their parents for a driver shirt or steel toed boots for christmas so they can be like their hero the UPS driver! Thats why you make what you make!
Oh, people dont do that? Why dont they watch you apply your lifelong acquired skill?
"Whats the last name" - - - Now that takes talent! Not to mention the ability to hand them the diad! It should be on Sportscenter!!!

Last edited:

audi2006

You should go "practice" running really fast or "practice" hitting 95 mph fastballs. Since thats all it takes. There is A LOT more money in it than delivering packages. Even at your bloated wage.

over9five

Staff member
You seem very bitter. You are avoiding my point (intentionally, I think).

People will try to get the most money that the market will allow.

If people don't go to the movies, the actor won't make (or be worth) as much.

If people don't go to the ball game, the players won't make as much.

If people don't ship UPS, UPS drivers won't make as much.

It's not skill so much as it's capitalism.

outta hours

I can hit a 95 mph. fastball I played in the minors for 4 years. I made it to AA. Not much money in the minors my biggest contract was 2200.00 a month. My fastest 40 time was 4.65. I can still hit an NBA 3 pointer. But now I make 75k delivering pkgs. with no bus trips. Gotta love it.

audi2006

Why is it that when you tell a driver that he is overpaid for what he does, they say you are bitter? They cant ever answer the question of "How much would you make doing the same thing for a competitor?" or "Do you think we could find someone who would do the same job for less money?"
Its always that im jealous. Please! I probably make more than you working 8-5, get to spend time with my family on holidays, etc.
Actually, your point "if people dont ship packages with UPS, drivers dont make as much" is false. Remember your precious contract?
The "Market" you refer to is irrelevant! Show me what a DHL driver or Fed EX driver makes for DOING THE SAME JOB! Market is what people in the same profession make across a number of companies. Now i ask, is your wage higher or lower than a Fed Ex driver? And dont forget to include what they pay for thir trucks, maintenance, etc.
Ill be waiting patiently for your spreadsheet.

over9five

Staff member
We're not overpaid. We're paid what the market allows. (same as the ball player and actor).

As for the "precious contract" (sounds bitter to me), it is finite. At the point we are priced out of the market, UPS can simply not renew the contract.

Of course my wage is higher than the Fedex driver, but the jobs are not comparable. Go to the first stop of the day and look in both trucks. You'll wonder what that Fedex driver does all day! Shouldn't a person who works more get paid more?

audi2006

Oh, you work harder than a Fed Ex driver huh. Gotcha. Let me ask you a question (just using random numbers) if you have been at UPS the exact same number of years to the day as another driver, and you average 25 stops per hour and he averages 20, do you make more becaue you "work harder"?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Hey dopey, show me a Fedex or Dhl driver that even came close to delivering and picking up 925 pkgs and 145 stops today like I did. A Fedex express guy on my area doesn't handle that many pieces in a week and Dhl in 3 weeks. I would gladly work for 18 bucks an hour driving a van full of envelopes. I am paid very well and work hard for it. No guilt. As the 10 guys we run through our building every summer say on their third and last day as drivers, you guys are friend'n crazy to do this every day. BM