Job Flexibility

lightbrown

Hello,
I'm a new member of the forum that has been lurking for a while collecting info, and hope to kickstart my brown career in the near future. It is a very helpfull forum, and I have learned alot already. One thing I could not find in a search is info on the flexibility of ft driver jobs.
I am coming from a small, family run business where flexibility abounds. If you need off work, most times you got it. I realize UPS is not run at all the same way, but I am looking for info on their policies. How many vacation days in a year? Sick days? Also, what is the policy regarding emergencies, such as deaths, or birth of a child.

Thank-You in advance,
lightbrown

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Hello,
I'm a new member of the forum that has been lurking for a while collecting info, and hope to kickstart my brown career in the near future. It is a very helpfull forum, and I have learned alot already. One thing I could not find in a search is info on the flexibility of ft driver jobs.
I am coming from a small, family run business where flexibility abounds. If you need off work, most times you got it. I realize UPS is not run at all the same way, but I am looking for info on their policies. How many vacation days in a year? Sick days? Also, what is the policy regarding emergencies, such as deaths, or birth of a child.

Thank-You in advance,
lightbrown
Depending your area supplement and this new contract that we have ,you are not going to like the answers given here.

Mike Hawk

You get five optional paid days off each year, and two eight hour days each month, provided no other drivers on your loop are on an eight hour. The rest will be as close to 9.5 hours as the managers can get.

drewed

Shankman
I need to know the policies, then I'll decide.
its a finite answer, it depends a lot on youre local management group in terms of true flexibility. for vacations hrls start with 2 weeks vacation and a week of option days and i forget how the sick time works. for sups you start off with 2 weeks of vacation 6 holiday make up and 7 discretionary days. Id like to tell you all managament is understanding of personal emergencies/ activities but its not (but youre not going to find that anywhere in a nationwide company)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I assume that you know that the flexiblity that you now enjoy at your family run business will be a thing of the past if you decide to work here. In our supplement, we get 5 personal and 4 sick days per year. We start with 2 weeks paid vacation (45 hours straight time) and earn an additional week every 5 years to a max of of 6 weeks. Time off for funerals depends upon relationship of the deceased and distance needed to travel to attend. Time off for the birth of a child or for other family emergencies is not contractually guaranteed but, from my experience, is normally not a problem but depends on staffing and operational requirements (peak is an exception).

I had planned on giving examples of family emergencies and the reason(s) why I was unable to be there for most of them but let me suffice it to say that you will need a good support network in place before taking this job, especially if you plan to drive. Both of my kids have made numerous emergency room visits while I received updates via cellphone as I was out driving boxes.

However, UPS has afforded me the opportunity to put both of my children through college, provided them will all that they have needed (if not all that they have wanted) and ensured that their medical needs were taken care of. Braces for my son--$45. Glasses for my daughter--free every 2 years, although she hated the selection on the "welfare" rack (her words) and soon began paying the difference herself between what the insurance offered and what she wanted. Numerous trips to the emergency room--no out of pocket.

Bottom line, you will not be able to pick up the phone and tell Dad that you will not be in today because Joey has a stomach ache. You may not be able to go to all of Johnny's ballgames or to Susie's kindergarten graduation. Life has trade-offs and you need to decide what you are willing to concede to get what you want.

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
UPSTATE, I have not heard anyone state it any better then you did. I have worked here for over 18 years and I like that description as it fits this job perfect.

lightbrown

Thanks for the feedback guys. And yes, I do realize that flexibility is one of the things that would need to be surrendered, but it is understandable that they would require dedication in exchange for a great paycheck and benifits. What I'm hearing is not as bad as i thought. One more question: On non-peak work days, what is the average time you work till? 5? 7? Or does it vary from day to day?

H

hseofpayne

Hello,

Thank-You in advance,
lightbrown

I think Upstate just about covered it; the only thing I would add conscerns another aspect of coming form a family owned business. I grew up in a family owned biz , a welding biz, and it was extremely hard work, but the harder you worked the more money you made. We were paid by the job, so if you worked hard, you could get done early and still make the same money. Coming to UPS with that mindset makes it a little tough to get used to the hourly thing where the harder you work the less you make. Working for someone else takes away a lot of the pressure and responsibility of running your own biz but it also takes away some of the rewards. Good Luck to ya.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...the only thing I would add conscerns another aspect of coming form a family owned business. I grew up in a family owned biz , a welding biz, and it was extremely hard work, but the harder you worked the more money you made. We were paid by the job, so if you worked hard, you could get done early and still make the same money. Coming to UPS with that mindset makes it a little tough to get used to the hourly thing where the harder you work the less you make. Working for someone else takes away a lot of the pressure and responsibility of running your own biz but it also takes away some of the rewards. Good Luck to ya.

Amen, Brother, you understand it. Self employed all my life, I'll never go back

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
On non-peak work days, what is the average time you work till? 5? 7? Or does it vary from day to day?

Depending on the area you are in, you will probably have a start time of 8:30-9:00 AM and work till about 7PM. Thats why most of us miss the kids activities like ball games, school plays, concerts, etc. Getting off by 5 is just about impossible, especially for a newly hired employee.

Thanks for the feedback guys. And yes, I do realize that flexibility is one of the things that would need to be surrendered, but it is understandable that they would require dedication in exchange for a great paycheck and benifits. What I'm hearing is not as bad as i thought. One more question: On non-peak work days, what is the average time you work till? 5? 7? Or does it vary from day to day?
I cannot say an exact time but I will assure it's not till 5. Depending on your route of course. But normally it's closer to 7, usually later then that.

Leftinbuilding

Thanks for the feedback guys. And yes, I do realize that flexibility is one of the things that would need to be surrendered, but it is understandable that they would require dedication in exchange for a great paycheck and benifits. What I'm hearing is not as bad as i thought. One more question: On non-peak work days, what is the average time you work till? 5? 7? Or does it vary from day to day?[/quote]

As a driver? It will vary depending on several factors. Start time, type of route etc. Suffice to say, as a general rule, your evening activities will be non-existent. Don't take the job if you have other obligations in the evenings.

brownrodster

I think my first year I was never done before 5:30. Rarely done before 6:00. My typical days lasted until 6:30-7 with a day or two until 8-8:30 per week.

It varies everyday. You never know what time you are going to finish. You work until you have everything delivered. Anytime I do a route I don't know I'm out until after 8:30.

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, this job is not for you if you expect to be off "early" every day. 7p.m. is a good average for a driver, and later at Christmas time. I just got this thought in my head that you might be a driver who is always asking for a day off or asking your fellow drivers for help. (which gets old very fast for your fellow drivers.) I hope not. Upstate said it very well. As a rookie driver you shouldn't expect to get off "early" for awhile.

brownrodster

The three weeks before last christmas I only punched out before 9:00 PM once. Most days closer to 9:30-9:45 PM. Christmas eve I punched out at 8:30.

I'm one of the few drivers who actually enjoy's peek. More hours. More money. Usually get some sweet peak only route with no pickups but with 200-225+ stops.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
What, there is a difference between now and peak? Many weeks during the summer, I would not get home until after dark. And here, that is 9PM.

As for the 9 1/2 day, you can bet your family jewels that you will work at least 2-4 days of that length or longer each week. There will be some weeks where you might not get 50-60 hours, but that would be the exception.

But as UpS said, when you tally up all the pluses and negatives, it is hard to turn down a job that allows you to become a millionaire working for someone else ( if you watch what you are doing and save well) It also allows you to live well while you provide for your family the things that many people wish they could have.

But as with any other well paying job, there are trade offs.

And it is up to you to figure out if those trade offs are worth the price you get in return.

d

upsgrunt

Another thing is that you could be off and home at 6 p.m. for three weeks straight, but as soon as you plan something for 6:30 you will have a load that takes till 8. It's aggravating to say the least, but it's all part of the game.

barnyard

KTM rider
It might all be moot, though. You're chances, right now, of being hired off the street are not good. The economy has slowed down and UPS is not adding jobs like last year.

Unless you already have a friend/t job offer, I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree.

TB