Job opportunities for bottom scale fedex employees. Be your own BOSS ;)

vantexan

Settle down, sonny. Whenever a new idea is theorized, you're all in with how bad it's going to be for couriers. Might wanna let things play out before you start worrying, considering that zero of the things that we've discussed here that were going to have a major impact on couriers' hours actually did so.
Who's worrying, just theorizing. It's called shooting the bull on a forum. But then, you are a mgr, probably just don't get it.

vantexan

Settle down, sonny. Whenever a new idea is theorized, you're all in with how bad it's going to be for couriers. Might wanna let things play out before you start worrying, considering that zero of the things that we've discussed here that were going to have a major impact on couriers' hours actually did so.
Gee, wonder if Amazon will have an impact on couriers? :)

overflowed

Gee, wonder if Amazon will have an impact on couriers? :)
Some stations I've been in? Half the routes would be cut or gone with no amazon. Other stations? Barely any impact at all. The more rural the station the more amazon impact. I can think of routes in rural or heavy resi stations that there would be almost no p2 at all. I think fedex would be happy if this were the case because that's where they lose money. Amazon is taking the metro areas first. Where density makes a small amount on amazon for fedex.

vantexan

Some stations I've been in? Half the routes would be cut or gone with no amazon. Other stations? Barely any impact at all. The more rural the station the more amazon impact. I can think of routes in rural or heavy resi stations that there would be almost no p2 at all. I think fedex would be happy if this were the case because that's where they lose money. Amazon is taking the metro areas first. Where density makes a small amount on amazon for fedex.
My little station runs 4 Saturday rts. One of them said today if this happens they'll have hardly anything to do. If it becomes an every day thing my rt will lose at least a third of it's stops. Maybe they'll finally offer a cash incentive to get couriers to leave.

bacha29

They'll just renege on the promised pay increases, disembowel your pension plan and cut hours. For Ground contractors it will be a restructured rate package whereby it will be increased volume along with it more driver hours for the same gross revenue . Whenever the going gets tough it's the guy at the bottom who suffers first and foremost and cutting the stock dividend will be the last thing they will do due to fear of a stockholder back lash due to the resulting depressed stock price. By the way I saw where Amazon's shipping costs increased 42.7% year over year. You know something is going to be done about that.

vantexan

They'll just renege on the promised pay increases, disembowel your pension plan and cut hours. For Ground contractors it will be a restructured rate package whereby it will be increased volume along with it more driver hours for the same gross revenue . Whenever the going gets tough it's the guy at the bottom who suffers first and foremost and cutting the stock dividend will be the last thing they will do due to fear of a stockholder back lash due to the resulting depressed stock price. By the way I saw where Amazon's shipping costs increased 42.7% year over year. You know something is going to be done about that.
Well you are a ray of sunshine!

dex 84

So who's responsible when the claims start coming in that people never received their package? These are mostly urban areas, how many of these flex drivers are going to give enough of a :censored2: to use good judgement when releasing packages?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
So who's responsible when the claims start coming in that people never received their package? These are mostly urban areas, how many of these flex drivers are going to give enough of a :censored2: to use good judgement when releasing packages?
Excellent point and there's a good chance of theft as well. Driver's that can't find certain addresses and say :censored2: it, etc.

I can see this all blowing up in Bezos' face.

whenIgetthere

Mr. Bezos is notoriously cheap, kind of like our Dear Leader Smith. I imagine you need to pick-up your packages at the Amazon Distribution Center (mine would be a 40 mile round trip), use your own vehicle, gas, and insurance, and then get paid an hourly wage vs. a per package rate? Sorry, doesn't sound like a good deal for anyone but Bezos.

From what I have heard of Bezos, he makes Fred look like a generous human being!

whenIgetthere

My route is about 60/40 Resi/Business. I counted a total of 12 amazon stops this week, out of 510 stops for the week.

dmac1

$18-$25 per hour driving your own car is not good money.
If you actually make $18 after expenses, it is pretty good for part-time work. But they will need to watch how they manage the control aspect. The original HD concept with smaller local terminals was originally offered(and I accepted based on) as great for house-wives, retired, and part-timers with the ability to pick your own hours. Each contractor was to get one zip-code, and others if they chose to, but when they added the daily van availability and core zone into the pay mix to match Ground, it meant that part-timers wouldn't work if they were going to pay the same amount to part-time for those as full time. I still think there is a great opportunity for someone to set up a small package residential service, but when you start accepting business deliveries, and larger packages, and demanding larger, inefficient vehicles, the program breaks down. If fedex had stuck with the HD plan I was promised before they started, I'd still be doing it.

dmac1

"Some" expenses to write off. Not enough in most cases.
If you drive a small hatchback that gets 40+ mpg, and write off just the standard mileage deduction, you come out with a lot more of a deduction than actual expenses, provided that you don't tell your insurer that you are using your car as a delivery vehicle.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
If you drive a small hatchback that gets 40+ mpg, and write off just the standard mileage deduction, you come out with a lot more of a deduction than actual expenses, provided that you don't tell your insurer that you are using your car as a delivery vehicle.
And if they want you to deliver a bow flex?

Strap it to the roof?

dmac1

Excellent point and there's a good chance of theft as well. Driver's that can't find certain addresses and say :censored2: it, etc.

I can see this all blowing up in Bezos' face.
Those people will be exactly like the people you have delivering for fedex right now. How many times do you just say screw it? Why do you think everyone else is so much worse than you?