Job-setup, work for free

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
My supervisor is saying we are required to come in and start work 15 minutes early. One employee says "are you going to pay us for that 15 minutes"
Supervisor says "NO, its called initiative, its called job-setup"

He is telling people to come in and work before their scheduled start time.
Can we do something about this? No one should be told to work for free.

Or is he correct in saying that we have to come in and start working early no matter what.
I want this guy gone, I'm sick of being supervised by a drunk and an a-hole. At the very least I need to transfer away from his section.

Any advice?
This shouldn't even be a question. No you don't have to work for free. Tell a union steward, call your local president, I'd even call the 1800 number. Light his :censored2: up. You make sure your fellow employees aren't coming in.

arice11

I was standing by my union steward when this SUP said "you have to come in and work early" but no one cares.
I just want some information from fellow UPSers so I have ground to stand on when I forward this madness to someone in charge.
Just wanted to hear from y'all, I need the input since my union steward doesn't care and everyone turns a blind eye to the free-labor.

This SUP gets drunk during break, its not hard to detect, I grew up around drunks, but since he gets emnployees to work for free 15-30 minutes to an hour, he must have good numbers and that's why no one says nothing.

arice11

This shouldn't even be a question. No you don't have to work for free. Tell a union steward, call your local president, I'd even call the 1800 number. Light his :censored2: up. You make sure your fellow employees aren't coming in.
whats the 1800 number...upsers.com hasn't given me anything to go on.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I was standing by my union steward when this SUP said "you have to come in and work early" but no one cares.
I just want some information from fellow UPSers so I have ground to stand on when I forward this madness to someone in charge.
Just wanted to hear from y'all, I need the input since my union steward doesn't care and everyone turns a blind eye to the free-labor.

This SUP gets drunk during break, its not hard to detect, I grew up around drunks, but since he gets emnployees to work for free 15-30 minutes to an hour, he must have good numbers and that's why no one says nothing.
It's simple it's against the law to force you to work for free.

I would also file on anytime anyone else worked for free.

ski or die

Ski or Die

At that point you contact your Local BA. Explain what they are requiring you to do and that the Steward was standing next to you when this happened. Sounds like you have a Steward who is standing on the wrong side of the fence. He probably will deny them telling you this. Tell the BA your fellow workers were told the same thing and he can ask them. Steward will end up before the Local or could end up being removed if you can prove he is also working off the clock. Don't be afraid of retaliation. You have a strong case. And the BA can get back pay for you and your fellow co-workers. All should file together. You might get your wish, and sup might get transferred.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Buy him a DQ blizzard?
With vodka in it.
lFp4TIZ.gif

Indecisi0n

My supervisor is saying we are required to come in and start work 15 minutes early. One employee says "are you going to pay us for that 15 minutes"

Or is he correct in saying that we have to come in and start working early no matter what.
I want this guy gone, I'm sick of being supervised by a drunk and an a-hole. At the very least I need to transfer away from his section.

Any advice?
Ask him what would happen if you got hurt "setting up".

arice11

At that point you contact your Local BA. Explain what they are requiring you to do and that the Steward was standing next to you when this happened. Sounds like you have a Steward who is standing on the wrong side of the fence. He probably will deny them telling you this. Tell the BA your fellow workers were told the same thing and he can ask them. Steward will end up before the Local or could end up being removed if you can prove he is also working off the clock. Don't be afraid of retaliation. You have a strong case. And the BA can get back pay for you and your fellow co-workers. All should file together. You might get your wish, and sup might get transferred.
Who would be my local BA? I'm not 100% on every term in this crazy job, lol.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I went thru this 20 years ago when we had paper time cards. wasn't sure at first that I was losing 15 minutes a day so kept careful records.

told steward and he settled it before I even filed. got 4 hrs of OT.

since your steward ( is he the only one? ) would not help, the next step is to go to the BA.

leave out expletives and accusations of your supe being a drunk and an a-hole.

just the facts and maybe signed affidavits from fellow employees. group grievance would be even better. your BA will probably suggest that from the getgo.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My supervisor is saying we

are required to come in and start work 15 minutes early. One employee says "are you going to pay us for that 15 minutes"

Any advice?
Make you wonder how many morons are doing this? We sure do have a lot of package car drivers working for free by skipping lunch.

Last edited:

blkmamba

I went thru this 20 years ago when we had paper time cards. wasn't sure at first that I was losing 15 minutes a day so kept careful records.

told steward and he settled it before I even filed. got 4 hrs of OT.

since your steward ( is he the only one? ) would not help, the next step is to go to the BA.

leave out expletives and accusations of your supe being a drunk and an a-hole.

just the facts and maybe signed affidavits from fellow employees. group grievance would be even better. your BA will probably suggest that from the getgo.
^^^this

Cementups

Box Monkey

Or he's really good on his knees.:o