Job-setup, work for free

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My supervisor is saying we are required to come in and start work 15 minutes early. One employee says "are you going to pay us for that 15 minutes"
Supervisor says "NO, its called initiative, its called job-setup"

He is telling people to come in and work before their scheduled start time.
Can we do something about this? No one should be told to work for free.

Or is he correct in saying that we have to come in and start working early no matter what.
I want this guy gone, I'm sick of being supervised by a drunk and an a-hole. At the very least I need to transfer away from his section.

Any advice?

If he is instructing you to start 15 minutes early, start 15 minutes early.

In the Central, this 15 minutes is paid at time and a half, being asked to start before your posted start time.

When this money is not on your check the next week, file a grievance for it, asking to be made whole and requesting penalty pay if it is not corrected.

Depending on your pay rate, this amount may or may not be above $20.

If it is, you have the right to be paid this shortage the following day. If it is under $20, it will be on your next paycheck.

If you do not get this money either the next day or on the following paycheck, depending on the amount, you have penalty pay coming on top of the shortage.

PT Car Washer

My supervisor is saying we are required to come in and start work 15 minutes early. One employee says "are you going to pay us for that 15 minutes"
Supervisor says "NO, its called initiative, its called job-setup"

He is telling people to come in and work before their scheduled start time.
Can we do something about this? No one should be told to work for free.

Or is he correct in saying that we have to come in and start working early no matter what.
I want this guy gone, I'm sick of being supervised by a drunk and an a-hole. At the very least I need to transfer away from his section.

Any advice?
Many years ago on the preload we were told to come in early enough to have our area set up. Load charts hung and stop count sheets taped up and be ready to start loading packages at our start time. Unload would start earlier and the plan was for boxes to be coming down the belt before our start time. Work as directed and the Union thought we were just whining. Remember that FT sup or sort manager is on the bottom rung of UPS management ladder and is only trying to keep his job long enough to retire knowing he is not going to be promoted to anything higher.

FilingBluesFL

Imagine what happens if someone gets hurt while working off the clock...

I bet that would cause some problems.

Management always likes to tell you you're supposed to get work supplies before punching in.

Uh, nope. Procuring letterbox stock and totes and things is company time, not MY time.

PT Car Washer

Imagine what happens if someone gets hurt while working off the clock...

I bet that would cause some problems.

Management always likes to tell you you're supposed to get work supplies before punching in.

Uh, nope. Procuring letterbox stock and totes and things is company time, not MY time.
As long as you are at your work location and are injured you are covered under workman's comp.

FilingBluesFL

As long as you are at your work location and are injured you are covered under workman's comp.

The thing that comes in, is the question of whether or not they were punched in.

When they find out they were not, and they ask why they weren't on the clock, that's when poop's gonna hit fans around there.

PT Car Washer

The thing that comes in, is the question of whether or not they were punched in.

When they find out they were not, and they ask why they weren't on the clock, that's when poop's gonna hit fans around there.
Yeah and higher ask your sup or manager why he allows his employees to work off the clock. Yeah the poop will hit the fan for your manager. You still will be covered under work man's comp.

arice11

You either make this crap up or your building has the biggest bunch of p******. You don't have to go to a steward to get a contract. No supervisor would send an employee home for reading a contract. If the employee was reading it while he should have been working, he would be refusing to work as directed. If what you say about your sup is true then he would have tried to fire the employee not send him home.

I'm being honest about this, really. I don't have any reason to lie.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I'm being honest about this, really. I don't have any reason to lie.

You may not have a reason, you just lie because it's what you do. What about the BS about the Sup "getting drunk at lunch"? Are you friend-ing kidding me? You must have OD'd on Dairy Queen Blizzards... You're actually pathetic.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
use the union to help you out, geez... that's why you're paying your monthly dues for

at HD, the drivers work for free all the time/preloading our own package cars for free while the contractors pocket that part of the $ & fake our on/off duty times on our verision of the diads so we won't get dinged on the 14 HOS per day limits...

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
use the union to help you out, geez... that's why you're paying your monthly dues for

at HD, the drivers work for free all the time/preloading our own package cars for free while the contractors pocket that part of the $ & fake our on/off duty times on our verision of the diads so we won't get dinged on the 14 HOS per day limits...
Damn...
You at least get a turkey for your Christmas bonus, right?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
nope, but i did get a safety bonus from the temp agency since i rather get paid by the hour, not by the stop

the safety bonus was for $1 every hour worked from black friday to Xmas eve with no accidents

if you venture over to the fedex forums, FXG/FXHD are trying to put all of the operating expenses to the subcontractors now... only a few select states that has high turnover history from getting paid by the stop/ by the package/ or flat salary day will have hourly temp driver help.

it's gonna be a s-storm this peak season with them getting away with not paying OT

Dr.Brownz

You know when I go out on a boat to fish, trolling is actually a very good way to catch the best 'em. Pace yourself and at the right moment you reel in the biggest one in the lake.
I don't know what "trolling" is to whatever useless social media paradigm, but to me its a practical way to be successful at obtaining some delicious goals!

Yeah ok troll

Dr.Brownz

this all is Basic Teamster 101.( meaning every Teamster should already know the answer ) you can search these forums on this problem that comes up here at least once a month and spend hrs reading similar threads.

the answer always comes out the same.

Check his post history; he made half those threads himself!! Why does no one else see this guy is a troll

Last edited by a moderator: