Jobless rate reaches 9.8% in September

island1fox

:sad-little:Municipal Tax free bonds
This could actually be another topic --but I will toss it into the stock discussion. For those of you who have worked hard and retired --beware of the RE-DISTRIBUTION of wealth.
What I am referring to was the treatment the corporate bond holders of GM--Obama stepped in and called them greedy for not accepting pennies on the dollar ---He made sure that GM was propped up and also took care of the UAW. Unfortunately other unions and individuals that had invested retirement funds into GM bonds --took a real deadly hosing. Wealth was defintely redistributed.
What I believe you will see next --led by very LIBERAL states --can anyone say CALIFORNIA --they will soon declare bankruptcy----Billions and billions of muni bonds will not be paid off -----and from there ---that will be the beginning of the real end.:dead:

chev

Nightcrawler
How about "we" bring back the 5 million jobs BUSH and his republican led congress allowed to leave our shores from 2000 thru 2008?

How about "we" put our people first, instead of protecting the wall street investors?

The republicans did everything they could to transfer jobs to third world countries in order to increase profits by using "slave labor" tactics.

The big sell was Profits and the "stockholders".

Make a decision, either you want to protect a companies ability to increase profits for its investors by using slave labor which makes the unemployment rate soar in the united states, or decide that you want americans to have a job?

You cant on one hand, complain about the unemployment rate which is a direct reflection of the BUSH policies for 8 years coming to fruition, and then say you would protect wall street and its players.

The phoney housing bubble that BUSH created provided avenues for the "manufacturing" sector people who were losing their jobs by the thousands each month when BUSH took office and when the bubble burst, they too were again out of jobs.

The rate of unemployment under BUSH began to skyrocket in his last year leading into 2009. Like a runaway train, there was no stopping it.

Our current President has at least, stopped the bleeding to a manageable level. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Despite all the misinformation provided by FAUX news and the talking heads on right wing radio, there are tons of projects that are employing americans. If you ever visit Yosemite in California. A 300 mile stretch of highway is being worked on with the stimulus funds. This project alone is emplying thousands of workers and companies.

I rode my harley thru Yosemite and have seen the many improvements to the road, guardrails and roadside facilities.

There are projects like this all over this country, none of them covered by FAUX news though.

This country was doomed for a few years of hardship thanks to the leadership of the republicans and that idiot BUSH.

He sealed "our" fates with his wreckless policies and bad advice from his republican collegues.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I suggest you do the same.

I suggest you research how many jobs and sectors BUSH wiped out in 8 years and how that translates into todays job losses.

Its amazing how many of you believe that when BUSH left office, his problems were all resolved, and this young president has created this mess himself.

This is the power of rhetoric and the use of repetitious garbage by right wing radio.

I am willing to sell "clues" to you all who still believe the nonsense.

:peaceful:
No single president created these problems. Big government did when they began to overstep their boundaries and ignore the Constitution.
Don't blame it all on Bush.
This is the power of rhetoric used by both parties.
Light at the end of the tunnel? Are you sure that's not a runaway locomotive?

bbsam

Staff member
I think the discussion was limited to stocks. Capital gains tax is paid on stocks only when they are sold. Losses on the sale of stock are limited to $3K for tax purposes (losses exceeding $3K are carried over to the next tax year). Interest income is treated differently for tax purposes.
Oh, thank-you.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-the-scariest-jobs-chart-ever-2009-7

The chart below, from Calculated Risk, shows the percentage decline in jobs from peak employment in all the recessions since World War 2.
We still haven't quite eclipsed the 1948 drop, but we likely will in another month or two. And that will leave only the Great to make us feel better about ourselves.
The good news in the chart, such as it is, is that employment can recover quickly once it finally turns. Anyone care to place a bet as to when that will be?
Here's a bigger version from the chart on Calculated Risk. And here's CR's take on the situation.
http://static.businessinsider.com/%7E%7E/friend?id=4a4e0b43796c7af10090a228&maxX=620&maxY=402

Last edited:

outamyway

I can predict a flat run or a high drop in lost lost jobs starting in the middle of next year due to a load of stimulus cash being pumped out. Just in time for the elections. Imagine that.

Beyond that, who knows.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Well according to all the talking heads out there; 10% is now considered to be the norm for unemployment for today and for several years into the future.

Now that's change you can believe in. :happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
10%?
Amazing all the fear mongering Obama did to pass the Stimulus Bill. "If we don't pass this right away, unemployment will go above 8%".

Obama=FAIL

Lue C Fur

Evil member
10%?
Amazing all the fear mongering Obama did to pass the Stimulus Bill. "If we don't pass this right away, unemployment will go above 8%".

Obama=FAIL

Dont read the bill, just sign it!!!! Do it now or the sky will fall!!!! Oh crap...the sky did fall and now we have more unemployment. Oh well, i just did what i wanted and got my bill passed so we could spend money on the study of the marsh mouse.

outamyway

Dont read the bill, just sign it!!!! Do it now or the sky will fall!!!! Oh crap...the sky did fall and now we have more unemployment. Oh well, i just did what i wanted and got my bill passed so we could spend money on the study of the marsh mouse.

If you want to get a taste of the crap our money is being spent on, watch some Cspan.