Jobs for retired people

DS

Fenderbender
Over the next few years,I'll be pluggin' away as a driver, hoping my body holds up in the final stretch.I've decided that no matter if I can hold out for full retirement pay or have to cut out a bit early,I will have to find some kind of job in able to afford the things we've become accustomed to.I've been thinking about all kinds of things,like selling worms(I can get them for free),selling gourmet popcorn(almost free)being a taxi driver,and on and on.....
It occurred to me that you retired guys may have a few good ideas.
I've crossed out gigolo and rock star for obvious reasons,and I'd love to hear some suggestions...hmmm weinerwagon eh.......

klein

Für Meno :)
Wiener Wagon is great DS.
Look up Ontario Health, give them a call or an e-mail. It's really not that hard to be set up.
Food safety course is a must, but that's only around $100 for a 1 full day course.
Get a cart for around $3000, then inspected, and you'll need to do your own PR work.
Find a shopping center, car dealership, maybe even Bubbles car wash, just somewhere you can sell them.

Sell an easy 100 dogs/smokies a day, and you got yourself $300 cash.
You'll earn enough to take all winter off !

Oh yeah, buy your dogs directly at the meat processing plant - great savings (half price).
Same as your buns.... go to a major bakery (factory).

moreluck

golden ticket member
IMO, you belong doing something musical !! Making it, selling it, managing it.........someway, somehow, it's what you were meant to do !!!

DS

Fenderbender
I wouldn't count on poetry paying the bills for you.:wink2:

you are right I see the light

IMO, you belong doing something musical !! Making it, selling it, managing it.........someway, somehow, it's what you were meant to do !!!

That would be ideal,that way I could play in a band called "not dead yet"
and freak the young-uns out with some geriatric rock...

Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for

Catatonic

Nine Lives

This is good advise DS. Find something you are passionate about and would do for free if you did not need the money.
Go ahead and start getting good at that thing you select before you retire ... don't wait until you retire.
The times I have interacted with you, you seemed passionate about music. You don't have to be in a band ... there are many jobs related to music.

For me, that thing is photography. I set up a three year plan a little over a year ago and I am executing it. Anyone need pictures taken in 2013?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
My plan is to be a camp host at a lake somewhere. I'll go fishing and skiing all day and ride my little scooter over to your camper once in a while to collect fees!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My plan is to be a camp host at a lake somewhere. I'll go fishing and skiing all day and ride my little scooter over to your camper once in a while to collect fees!!

Funny ... I have talked to a couple of these people -one male and one female). They both loved it and seemed very content, my wife ain't interested.

klein

I know Dizzee could make money with his ammintion products, and simply work at home.
All you need to do Dizzee, is advertise for free on Kijiji or Craigslist !

raceanoncr

Over the next few years,I'll be pluggin' away as a driver, hoping my body holds up in the final stretch.I've decided that no matter if I can hold out for full retirement pay or have to cut out a bit early,I will have to find some kind of job in able to afford the things we've become accustomed to.

DS, this advice has been given here before by various people, from different walks of life but I'll say it again from my perspective.

Try, with all your might, to retire on YOUR terms. In other words, try to have ALL your ducks in a row before you retire so that you don't HAVE TO do anything. It bothered and still bothers me that, here, drivers would say they HAD to get another job after retiring and, by golly, they DID. Mostly swabbing floors, cutting grass, working at fast lube place and mostly making near min wage and most having to punch a clock.

I been retired since Sept of 10. Planned it so I don't have to do anything ever again if I don't want to. THAT, to me, is the key, "...if I don't WANT to". Have had offers of stuff to do but I don't want to. That means I gotta set the alarm clock again. Don't want to. BUT, I have kinda fallen into the classic car biz. Am buying and selling cars that don't take much effort. Don't hafta rush, like the TV reality shows push, just look, perhaps buy, take home, clean up, maybe a few mods, then sell. If I don't sell, I have fun with it.

My point: Please don't retire with the cloud over your head that you have to keep working to support yourself or maintain your present style of living. I've seen all the aforementioned drivers express regret for retiring under those conditions. And I know many may think I'm speaking out of my arse because I was a feeder driver and package is much more physically taxing...I know that. I know your bod may not take the 32 yrs I put in.

This is just my opinion but I'm happy with it and my decision...so far!!!

Carry on.

klein

And DS, I don't know how tied up you are in southern Ontario, but when I finally retire, I already figured out to sell my house and maybe move to Atlantic Canada where home prices are still cheap.
Get 300K or more for the 1 here, and buy one over there for $150 K.

Just extra money in my pockets to live a better retirement, without setting an alarm clock, unless it's to catch a plane to travel ! :)

moreluck

golden ticket member
race,
That's great advice.....also, when putting your ducks in a row, allow some extra to get by on. There's always a piece you forgot. I'm again reminded this morning about people who retire and then pass away shortly after (like Mark Haines today) not able to enjoy their 'golden time.

Since we never know how long we have, consider right now your golden time. Are you doing with it what you wanted?

As soon as you think you have enough for Deb & you, then just do it !!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

The key to being a succesful camp host is to provide happy hour at your site at least thrice weekly.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
A coffee host @ WAWA ,a starter or ranger @ a golf course ( play for free certain days and get tips), working @ a bait shop ( find out were all the hot spots are,after you sift through the bull sh--ters) and last but no least ,grow a beard mine is grey already and be a shopping mall Santa.The hours are long but I hear the pay is excellant and after peak I mean the Christmas season you can head to the Florida Keys with your fishing poles and golf clubs with the reast of the "snow birds".
PS 1 job I will not apply for is to be a Wall Mart greeter.LOL