Jobs vs Gates

texan

I just observed the Jobs movie trailer today.

It has always made me wonder.

Why has the left / Hollywood embraced Jobs / Apple, and in the past despised Gates and Microsoft?

Sure do not see a recent Gates movie.

This is not an "I" question, but why is this?

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
I think your view of "The Left" is distorted.

Most of us "Lefties" admire Gates a lot more than 'what's his name'.

Bill Gates will have monuments named after him, 'what's his name' will have tax codes in his 'honour'.

wkmac

I just observed the Jobs movie trailer today.

It has always made me wonder.

Why has the left / Hollywood embraced Jobs / Apple, and in the past despised Gates and Microsoft?

Sure do not see a recent Gates movie.

This is not an "I" question, but why is this?

Not sure this answers your question because it doesn't use the lense of politics but Jobs from my POV built a total computing/program platform whereas Gates just took an existing product IBM wasn't interested in totally exploiting, got the licensing rights from and the rest is history. Even later one could argue Microsoft followed Jobs when it went into it's Windows platform. Not sure where the politics of left and right enters the picture but that's where I see it all. When it comes to computers, I'm not much a fan of either man but rather a fan of open source platforms.

Besides, Jobs is now dead and maybe when Gates follows Jobs into oblivion, they'll make a movie about him.

bbsam

Staff member
I personally like Gates for two reasons. First is that he has made my brother a very, very wealthy man and second because of what the Gates foundation has and is doing.