John Oliver Explains The Biggest Scam In Sports

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't watch the video but assume that it was about how pro sports teams who, for lack of a better word, blackmail their host cities in to building multigazillion dollar stadiums with taxpayer funds or threaten to move to a city that will. It is a scam but one that will not go away any time soon.

bbsam

Staff member
I didn't watch the video but assume that it was about how pro sports teams who, for lack of a better word, blackmail their host cities in to building multigazillion dollar stadiums with taxpayer funds or threaten to move to a city that will. It is a scam but one that will not go away any time soon.
I don't know if it's even a scam though. Cities just stupidly throw money away even though study after study show there is little to no economic return. That makes no sense.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
In Wisconsin, we are about to give $400 million to a group of billionaires to build their new playground for the Milwaukee Bucks. All the while having to borrow more for road construction, cutting $250 million for our public university system, etc.....