Joining the Union now or wait after the year?

J

jibbs

We can't generalize every driver being a ass, some of them really do appreciate what we do, I have a driver who brings me a biscuit every week and if he doesn't have time to stop he will give me money and tell me to go buy myself breakfast, I respect him because he respects me, it's a two way street.

Sure I can. If they can generalize every PTer being a leech, what's the differnce?

J

jibbs

Not every FT employee feels that way towards PT'ers. The group shouldn't be punished for one mans crime.

I didn't instigate this, I reciprocated.

I also don't disagree with you, but I didn't see anybody else stepping up when they heard that :censored2: so it's kind of a guilt by association situation.

J

jibbs

Ohhhhhhh.
K.

The question was literal. I can't be held responsible for your inferences.

What, uh... What exactly did you think it meant?

T

Turdferguson

'Cuz you are wasting money as a PTer by joining the Union, especially if you are an employee who shows up to work every day, on time, does a good job and keeps your mouth shut.

The Union doesn't give a :censored2: about the PTers. You know it....I know it....everyone on this forum knows it.

Actually you are not. Joining the union as a PT allows you to make extra money when you file grievance for supervisors working. We have several here who make what amounts to an extra paycheck each month for these grievances

T

Turdferguson

So, I read pages 1 and 2 before I got fed up with the attitude a lot of you FTers have towards PTers. So we're leeches, apparently.

I sure hope none of the fools that've aired their opinions in this thread are one of the drivers I load for on Monday.... Doubtful but, you know... it's always nice to put pissy drivers in their place with backwards, crisscrossing, irregs-on-the-top-shelf-while-the-entire-top-shelf's-mixed-with-F1-through-RDL kinds of loads for a week or two until they quit they're bitchin'.

From what I've read the only person refered to as a leech is someone who uses union benefits without joining the union. Over react much?

J

jibbs

From what I've read the only person refered to as a leech is someone who uses union benefits without joining the union. Over react much?

Possibly.

Let me hit pages 1 and 2 again and view this through some retrospective glasses.

I feel like I read it differently than your interpretation, though, and read it several times.

[EDIT: Retrospection complete. Conclusion: Overreaction with viable opinions. Emphasis on "viable opinions."]

T

Turdferguson

Possibly.

Let me hit pages 1 and 2 again and view this through some retrospective glasses.

I feel like I read it differently than your interpretation, though, and read it several times.

[EDIT: Retrospection complete. Conclusion: Overreaction with viable opinions. Emphasis on "viable opinions."]

Most of us started out pt time out there. Myself I spent 9 1/2 years pt. I remember how much it sucked in the building and always tried to remember that when dealing with my pre-loaders

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of us started out pt time out there. Myself I spent 9 1/2 years pt. I remember how much it sucked in the building and always tried to remember that when dealing with my pre-loaders

I was just having a little fun with you boys this morning.

I take care of my preloader during the year and especially at Peak ($100).

That being said, I still contend that it is a waste of time for a PTer to join the union, if given the choice.

Overpaid Union Thug

There has been plenty of idiotic comments and bad advice in this thread. It should be crystal clear that if more part-timers in RTW states would join the union then the entire part-time work force at UPS would have more voting power come contract time. The result of that could very well improve working conditions for them.

As far as the comments about preloaders sabotaging the loads of certain drivers......come on down to my center. We'd love make your short lived careers as UPS employees a living hell. Especially right after we get your asses moved to the unload and can point at you and laugh as you are struggling at unloading trailers that don't have extendos or rollers in them. Please come work in my center. I dare you.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Thats the case in my building, I worked eight years in the Atlanta Hub myself before I went full-time driving. I respect my Preloader, how well she does has a big impact on my day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sorry I couldn't chime in sooner but yes, the only leeches I was referring to were those that join a union shop and don't pay dues. For the discussion in this thread it happen to be refered to PT employees in RTW states not paying dues. Hope this clears up any confusion and wasn't meant to be a slam on PT employees in general, just the RTW leeches.

J

jibbs

It is a sad day when I am trying to be the voice of calm and reason on a thread.

But see, I always liked ya, ya turd, so it's not very sad to me.

Sorry I couldn't chime in sooner but yes, the only leeches I was referring to were those that join a union shop and don't pay dues. For the discussion in this thread it happen to be refered to PT employees in RTW states not paying dues. Hope this clears up any confusion and wasn't meant to be a slam on PT employees in general, just the RTW leeches.

Thanks for the clarification. Probably wasn't necessary... I woke up and hit the computer.... no cigarette, no food, still hazy from the night before....

Yeah, I jump the gun a lot. I don't ever regret it, but I can admit when I do it prematurely (happens so much, you guys.)

On the plus side, when I remove my "thought-to-mouth" filter, others tend to as well and it gives me a wonderful insight into how people really feel.

Thats the case in my building, I worked eight years in the Atlanta Hub myself before I went full-time driving. I respect my Preloader, how well she does has a big impact on my day.

I also think if I had seen a post like this a bit earlier in the thread (which, granted, I responded after 2 pages), I would've never felt inclined to put words on the page.

[EDIT: Johhny, why'd ya delete your call to arms against me? I thought it was important to you? It's not important to me, but what is kind of irritating is how your deletions somehow managed to merge a couple of my posts, leaving the implication that some of my postings directed to you were directed toward others.

That's a cheap way to play the game, JF. :whistling]

Last edited by a moderator:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I deleted thirteen posts a while ago in this thread. I usually delete the original post with the insult that causes the rest and also the posts that contain quotes. When I leave the other posts without the insults it has a choppy effect on the rest of the thread. I can't figure out a better way of moderating. Like a lot of things in life, there is no way to please everybody.