Judge Miller

bbsam

Staff member
The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if you, the person for whom the services are performed, have the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not the means and methods of accomplishing the result.

Doesn't fedex control how drivers perform their job and the appearance of your fleet.Example: Vera Elm, an electrician, submitted a job estimate to a housing complex for electrical work at $16 per hour for 400 hours. She is to receive $1,280 every 2 weeks for the next 10 weeks. This is not considered payment by the hour. Even if she works more or less than 400 hours to complete the work, Vera Elm will receive $6,400. She also performs additional electrical installations under contracts with other companies that she obtained through advertisements. Vera is an independent contractor.

The last sentence is what I meant, You cannot perform additional work for other companies. The above came from irs.gov.

I would check up on that if I were you. I did some moving work for World Relief (non-profit refugee assistance) a couple weeks ago in a Ground approved vehicle. Didn't even have to ask permission.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would check up on that if I were you. I did some moving work for World Relief (non-profit refugee assistance) a couple weeks ago in a Ground approved vehicle. Didn't even have to ask permission.

That was a win/win situation for both World Relief and FedEx. World Relief did not have to pay someone to move their stuff and FedEx got some good PR. I would think the same would apply to any non profit organization.

bbsam

Staff member
That was a win/win situation for both World Relief and FedEx. World Relief did not have to pay someone to move their stuff and FedEx got some good PR. I would think the same would apply to any non profit organization.
A win/win/win. I was given an opportunity to give back to the community.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if you, the person for whom the services are performed, have the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not the means and methods of accomplishing the result.

Doesn't fedex control how drivers perform their job and the appearance of your fleet.Example: Vera Elm, an electrician, submitted a job estimate to a housing complex for electrical work at $16 per hour for 400 hours. She is to receive $1,280 every 2 weeks for the next 10 weeks. This is not considered payment by the hour. Even if she works more or less than 400 hours to complete the work, Vera Elm will receive $6,400. She also performs additional electrical installations under contracts with other companies that she obtained through advertisements. Vera is an independent contractor.

The last sentence is what I meant, You cannot perform additional work for other companies. The above came from irs.gov.

We've been going around and around on this forever. I do know that if the Ground ISP model isn't upheld across the country, that FedEx will do the same thing to it's contractors that DHL did, and that's cut them loose. This is the way Fred conducts business. That probably won't happen.

quadro

We've been going around and around on this forever. I do know that if the Ground ISP model isn't upheld across the country, that FedEx will do the same thing to it's contractors that DHL did, and that's cut them loose. This is the way Fred conducts business. That probably won't happen.
If the ISP model isn't upheld, what else could FedEx do except cut them loose? I don't mean that rhetorically, I really don't know the answer. If Ground were forced to move to an employee model based on the court decisions, then there wouldn't be any contractors. I'm not sure they could just make the contractors employees. Wouldn't they have to have some sort of hiring process?

bbsam

Staff member
It is incompetence because you've been stating opinion as fact and when I challenge you to prove your assertions you say, "all in good time". If the evidence exists to support your position you are incompetent in bringing it forth if it does not exist you are incompetent in the offering of a false premise.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It is incompetence because you've been stating opinion as fact and when I challenge you to prove your assertions you say, "all in good time". If the evidence exists to support your position you are incompetent in bringing it forth if it does not exist you are incompetent in the offering of a false premise.

OK......so much for Philosophy 101.

Now has history taught you anything? Fed Ex has a proven track record of throwing its' workers under the bus. This obviously has happened with IC's too. What makes you think that your comfy position is invunerable?

bbsam

Staff member
OK......so much for Philosophy 101.

Now has history taught you anything? Fed Ex has a proven track record of throwing its' workers under the bus. This obviously has happened with IC's too. What makes you think that your comfy position is invunerable?
Because I've spent the last 15 years learning our entire delivery area and have a proven track record as an IC employing drivers, working with other contractors, vehicle maintenance, and the respect (if not always the love) of the management team in our building. Although I am not "invulnerable" I am a natural fit to be an ISP should they go in that direction. Should they make us employees (though I don't think that likely) I believe my talents learned over the years should be sufficient to remain employed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Because I've spent the last 15 years learning our entire delivery area and have a proven track record as an IC employing drivers, working with other contractors, vehicle maintenance, and the respect (if not always the love) of the management team in our building. Although I am not "invulnerable" I am a natural fit to be an ISP should they go in that direction. Should they make us employees (though I don't think that likely) I believe my talents learned over the years should be sufficient to remain employed.

When Fred tosses you under we can compare pictures of what the underside of the bus looks like, OK? I've got some great shots from under a 1996 Flxible and some more from a 2008 Gillig Flyer.

bbsam

Staff member
When Fred tosses you under we can compare pictures of what the underside of the bus looks like, OK? I've got some great shots from under a 1996 Flxible and some more from a 2008 Gillig Flyer.
We should be able to compare since I'm betting you'll be thrown under first.:surprised::wink2: