Jumpers

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Do you think union members will ever vote for jumpers to be used year round. Good way for part time workers to pick up hours. Of course seniority would have to be honored. What are the drivers thoughts on this. I know in the last contract it was discussed but eventually they removed it from the contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you think union members will ever vote for jumpers to be used year round. Good way for part time workers to pick up hours. Of course seniority would have to be honored. What are the drivers thoughts on this. I know in the last contract it was discussed but eventually they removed it from the contract.

We will never have that option. This is a side deal worked out between the company and union.

Dr.Brownz

I was told that year round helpers are currently paid Top driver wage if used outside peak; I could see a provision being added like 1 out of every 15 routes can have a helper just.like the 2 routes starting at noon provision in the current contract

Orion inc.

I like turtles

And then you'll wonder "where are all the new driver jobs"? You think route cutting is bad now, add jumpers and you'll eliminate half the routes in a center.

Good way for part timers to stay part time and screw themselves out of a FT driver job

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Only if they were created as part of a 22.3 job as they've done in Local 804.

Using a $10/hr driver helper year-round would make the waiting list to go FT ridiculous. Created a few 22.3s for the heaviest routes for preload/driver helper with someone topping out around $30/hour wouldn't be so bad.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Using a $10/hr driver helper year-round would make the waiting list to go FT ridiculous. Created a few 22.3s for the heaviest routes for preload/driver helper with someone topping out around $30/hour wouldn't be so bad.
Screw that put some more full time seniority drivers on

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
And then you'll wonder "where are all the new driver jobs"? You think route cutting is bad now, add jumpers and you'll eliminate half the routes in a center.

Good way for part timers to stay part time and screw themselves out of a FT driver job

Seems we got a lot of seasonal drivers to screw us out of full time work. I see the jobs posted on monster.com all the time. Which seems to be what ups is doing. Not sure how they can get around hiring tons of seasonal people and putting up one full time driver job. Don't make a lot of sense does it.

Tough Guy

I agree with this. I desperately wanted to be a helper year round before I was able to drive.

On a side note, the experience I gained as a helper was a huge help to me when i went driving. Already knew the Diad, had some area knowledge from the routes I helped on, etc.

box_beeyotch

I agree with this. I desperately wanted to be a helper year round before I was able to drive.

On a side note, the experience I gained as a helper was a huge help to me when i went driving. Already knew the Diad, had some area knowledge from the routes I helped on, etc.

The last part is dead on. Being a helper helps prepare you tremendously for what being a driver is like.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Two of my helpers became drivers.