Jumping Ship for Amazon

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I doubt that, maybe the same or less. These supes nowadays are under so much stress and scrutiny from their bosses its ridiculous i know first hand from my boy whos a driver supe. You wouldnt believe some of the stuff ive heard from him about their dishonesty and shadyness lol.
I am going to guess that anyone in belly of the corporate beast, lower management/supervision in operations, doesn't need to be convinced. They see it and participate daily. lol

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Amazon may deliver in the big cities but the infrastructure isn't in place to deliver out into the country. It is going to be a tough market for amazon to get into. Maybe 10 to 20 years from now they may get there but not in the next 5-8

UPSProbs

Amazon may deliver in the big cities but the infrastructure isn't in place to deliver out into the country. It is going to be a tough market for amazon to get into. Maybe 10 to 20 years from now they may get there but not in the next 5-8
They're going to need some good problem solvers.

beentheredonethat

There's tons of small delivery companies. like lasership etc that they can hand off deliveries too.

PACNW

Sadly, in my area at least, they are taking the smartest and most talented UPS people. These are the folks who have trouble being management drones that are expected to carry out flawed plans. They are people who want to problem solve and use their talents to improve their operations. Have a good friend that made the jump a couple of years ago. He makes a little less over there annually and they didn't make up the stock he left on the table, but he got a signing bonus. He said it's comparably demanding, but now he works 4-12's instead of the 5 he was working in the hub and spends more time with his 3 young boys. Says the atmosphere is much better too.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
They should hire our drivers...they all think they are better problem solvers then everyone else.

I think the drivers are better at handling routes they been on for 10 to 20 years then the technology ups has. The system don't tell you what to expect for or how to handle things in that area or whats going on. Not that I don't understand why Ups went to the system they use now. They want to trim hours and be more cost efficient. In the long run I wonder how much the system is truly saving them.

UPSProbs

Sadly, in my area at least, they are taking the smartest and most talented UPS people. These are the folks who have trouble being management drones that are expected to carry out flawed plans. They are people who want to problem solve and use their talents to improve their operations. Have a good friend that made the jump a couple of years ago. He makes a little less over there annually and they didn't make up the stock he left on the table, but he got a signing bonus. He said it's comparably demanding, but now he works 4-12's instead of the 5 he was working in the hub and spends more time with his 3 young boys. Says the atmosphere is much better too.
I don't know if I'd want to work 4 12s if I was used to working 5 8s in the hub.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I think the drivers are better at handling routes they been on for 10 to 20 years then the technology ups has. The system don't tell you what to expect for or how to handle things in that area or whats going on. Not that I don't understand why Ups went to the system they use now. They want to trim hours and be more cost efficient. In the long run I wonder how much the system is truly saving them.

We call them methods, Orion does not have jaw jacking built into, its deliver and move on it doesn't care about red lights, It doesn't fix a poor dispatch (edd) it will try though, it cannot fix a poor load. It just reduces miles its a proven fact.

Here is a fact for my center, I have run 5-8 more drivers this year then last in the normal part of the year, I have averaged 25-50 miles less per day compared to last year. Thats big $$.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We call them methods, Orion does not have jaw jacking built into, its deliver and move on it doesn't care about red lights, It doesn't fix a poor dispatch (edd) it will try though, it cannot fix a poor load. It just reduces miles its a proven fact.

Here is a fact for my center, I have run 5-8 more drivers this year then last in the normal part of the year, I have averaged 25-50 miles less per day compared to last year. Thats big $$.
You can't say that. Orion is bad, remember?

PACNW

I don't know if I'd want to work 4 12s if I was used to working 5 8s in the hub.

LOL, nope he was working 5 12's, and then more sometimes if they asked him to come if for staff stuff and stay thru his night sort. They originally told him he would be doing 4 10's at Amazon, but he said he doesn't mind too much. Said 48 hours a week beats the hell out of 60+.

PACNW

I know a lot of others that would love to jump too, but Amazon will only bring on guys that have a degree, no exceptions.

beentheredonethat

It just reduces miles its a proven fact.

Dragon, How much volume did your center have year over year? Same for Delv Stops\Pickup Stops? Also what was the SPC, SPORH, avg Pd day year over year. Did you add in satellite routes? (or take any away). Did your center increase territory?

Overall, I would say at quick look having more drivers and less overall miles is amazing. However, want to ensure that the other numbers fall in line too.