Just a curiousity....

newgirl2012

I was wondering if any of you could tell me why sometimes if I order something from somewhere, UPS or a competitor would ship it to my post office and then it would be delivered by them instead?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
because residentials are extremely low profit, so it makes sense to outsource the work to someone who'll do it for cheaper, like the Post Office

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was wondering if any of you could tell me why sometimes if I order something from somewhere, UPS or a competitor would ship it to my post office and then it would be delivered by them instead?

Surepost and Smartpost are low-cost, no-frills shipping options in which the packages are delivered to the Post Office and they deliver to the consignee. UPS has revised this program somewhat and has begun completing some of these deliveries themselves. Yesterday I had 10 packages which would have gone to the Post Office. If you have a non-Surepost package and a Surepost package the system will divert the Surepost for UPS delivery. If you have 3 or more Surepost packages (that's the number in my center) the system will divert those for delivery by UPS. There is nothing more frustrating than to make a residential delivery and see Surepost packages sitting by the front door which we should have delivered.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I know Lands End ships this way. It isn't anything I have requested. With QVC, you can choose your shipping option. You pay, on average, .50 more. It depends on the company. Some you can request that UPS delivers.

Indecisi0n

Surepost and Smartpost are low-cost, no-frills shipping options in which the packages are delivered to the Post Office and they deliver to the consignee. UPS has revised this program somewhat and has begun completing some of these deliveries themselves. Yesterday I had 10 packages which would have gone to the Post Office. If you have a non-Surepost package and a Surepost package the system will divert the Surepost for UPS delivery. If you have 3 or more Surepost packages (that's the number in my center) the system will divert those for delivery by UPS. There is nothing more frustrating than to make a residential delivery and see Surepost packages sitting by the front door which we should have delivered.

Glad to see us getting more of the work back. I had about 14 yesterday. It's almost important to mention that the customer paid extra for UPS to deliver that package (they get it faster via UPS)as oppose to USPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Glad to see us getting more of the work back. I had about 14 yesterday. It's almost important to mention that the customer paid extra for UPS to deliver that package (they get it faster via UPS)as oppose to USPS.

This is not true--the shipping charge to the customer does not change with this new program. What does change is the $1.05/package that we don't pay to the Post Office.

Indecisi0n

This is not true--the shipping charge to the customer does not change with this new program. What does change is the $1.05/package that we don't pay to the Post Office.

Then yet again lied to by my center manager. He just told us yesterday the customer pays more to get it in 2-3 days instead of USPS 5-8 business days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then yet again lied to by my center manager. He just told us yesterday the customer pays more to get it in 2-3 days instead of USPS 5-8 business days.

Think about it for a second---you order something from Amazon and request free shipping---an operational decision is made to change the carrier---does this carrier have the right to send you a bill or charge your credit card for the difference?

Indecisi0n

Think about it for a second---you order something from Amazon and request free shipping---an operational decision is made to change the carrier---does this carrier have the right to send you a bill or charge your credit card for the difference?
I was thinking the customer gets charged when they chose shipping. The vendor not saying who the shipper but offering free shipping (5-8 days) or paid for XXX days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was thinking the customer gets charged when they chose shipping. The vendor not saying who the shipper but offering free shipping (5-8 days) or paid for XXX days.

They do and if they chose free shipping the shipping charge is zero. The vendor cannot then go back and change that. Yes, it can be argued that they are getting a service that they are not paying for, but they can also argue that they were not asked prior to the decision to change carriers is made.

We are going to that stop anyway so the additional cost to process additional packages is minimal.

You do have the option to choose your level of shipping when you checkout. What I'm saying is that most of these Surepost packages have no shipping charge to the consignee so billing them on the back end would not be fair.

menotyou

bella amicizia
QVC is one such company that offers this. Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 7.50.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 7.50.33 AM.png

gman042

Been around the block a few times
So.....when you have one of these diverted Surepost packages and the DIAD asks whether you delivered to post office or not....what's the answer?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If you didn't deliver to PO, then the answer is no.

The DIAD training I did the other day was explicit in stating how important it is we select properly. However, it also mentioned that when a pkg is diverted via this new program that prompted generally will not pop up. What will cause the prompt is if the pkg is delivered somewhere other than the consignee address or post office. An example would be of the pkg was left with a neighbor or in a rental office. At that time you are supposed to select "no".

In a related note, the day before the DIAD training related to surepost was put in the board, my center manager read a letter from corporate stating that as part of the revamping of surepost the driver NO LONGER HAS THE DISCRETION to decide whether or not to release one of these packages. So, in a shopping mall where the store has not yet opened and the packages would be exposed in plain view, WE ARE TO LEAVE IT (this was in the letter). According to my center manager a new report is being generated listing surepost pkgs that were not released on tje first attempt.

How many of you will work as directed?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So.....when you have one of these diverted Surepost packages and the DIAD asks whether you delivered to post office or not....what's the answer?

The question is whether you delivered it to the Post Office or other approved location. The answer would be no. I have had about 20 of these packages so far and have only been asked once--all of the others were shipper release.

I still refuse to deliver Surepost packages at a closed commercial location.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The DIAD training I did the other day was explicit in stating how important it is we select properly. However, it also mentioned that when a pkg is diverted via this new program that prompted generally will not pop up. What will cause the prompt is if the pkg is delivered somewhere other than the consignee address or post office. An example would be of the pkg was left with a neighbor or in a rental office. At that time you are supposed to select "no".

In a related note, the day before the DIAD training related to surepost was put in the board, my center manager read a letter from corporate stating that as part of the revamping of surepost the driver NO LONGER HAS THE DISCRETION to decide whether or not to release one of these packages. So, in a shopping mall where the store has not yet opened and the packages would be exposed in plain view, WE ARE TO LEAVE IT (this was in the letter). According to my center manager a new report is being generated listing surepost pkgs that were not released on tje first attempt.

How many of you will work as directed?
Will they release you from any liability, if these come up missing?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

According to the center manager, we are already released from said liability by virtue that surepost was chosen instead of regular ground service. To be honest, that impression was given to me since the introduction of Basic service. I have yet to see a followup on a shipper release package.

Now, I dont think that absolves us of at least making an attempt to make an optimum delivery whenever possible (out of sight), but I knew i was to leave it, because the alternative os SUPPOSED to be Will-calling the package(s) if the initial attempt failed, not retrying it the next day. The shipper (but not necessarily the consignee) is supposed to be aware of the risks involved with surepost/basic, and would not make a claim if the package went missing. Instead, since they assumed the risk, they'd probably send out a replacement, but using ground, making UPS more responsible.

So whether a business or to a house, we were never liable for basic/surepost pkgs anyway, and now corporate is forcing us to comply. Interestingly, a reason for why the more forceful direction for basic was given us at a pcm a couple weeks ago. Apparently an early am shipper release was sent to a high level exec for Comcast in Washington D.C. The air driver had concerns and so did not leave the pkg. The exec was pissed because he paid a lot of money for that package to arrive early and be left if necessary. The air driver was disciplined.