Just a friendly reminder - drive the speed limit, don't go above.

l22

I saw a coworker going about 15 mph above the speed limit when they were doing their route and also blast through a Stop sign. Just want to tell everyone out there, slow down. Don't drive above the posted speed limits, fully stop at every stop sign, and use the proper methods. No need to hustle out there. If a manager has questions, request a checkride and also request that they show you how to run your route better. SLOW DOWN

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I saw a coworker going about 15 mph above the speed limit when they were doing their route and also blast through a Stop sign. Just want to tell everyone out there, slow down. Don't drive above the posted speed limits, fully stop at every stop sign, and use the proper methods. No need to hustle out there. If a manager has questions, request a checkride and also request that they show you how to run your route better. SLOW DOWN

Did you pull the offending driver aside to express your concerns?

Last edited by a moderator:

MassWineGuy

Great point, Upstate. Sometimes on a deserted, straight road I hit the gas strongly for about 15 seconds or so. Since my living depends on having my driver's license, I try to be careful not to do too many silly things.

l22

My point was if you don't feel comfortable bringing your concerns to your mgt team then you should at least pull the guy aside and tell him to slow his ass down.

I'm not going to bring them to my mgt team because they wouldn't do much other than maybe raise his goal if they feel inclined to. I spoke with him and he just said, 'how am I supposed to not have lates then?' I told him, lates happen and it looks like your on-road goal/stops-per-hour/all that bs needs to be lowered. His response was something along the lines of 'but I don't want a checkride.' ...

No one should be afraid to have a checkride. Every time you're on the road alone you should be driving as if you are on a checkride - nothing should change. SLOW DOWN, DON'T RUSH. If you get in an accident, you're going to get there later anyways...

DRAisawesome

I don't understand the working on break deal. The powerpad locks up. Only way possible is if you have towns far apart and you drive to them on your break

*****cleared*****

I can drive between towns on break. I know couriers who do pickups during break and some who deliver and write the tracking numbers down and enters them when he's off break.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
No one should be afraid to have a checkride. Every time you're on the road alone you should be driving as if you are on a checkride - nothing should change. SLOW DOWN, DON'T RUSH. If you get in an accident, you're going to get there later anyways...

This^^^^

I move at the same speed when I'm by myself as when I'm having a check ride. Only thing I do differently when I'm by myself, is keep my bulkhead door open and packages up front with me. My numbers are a lot better when I'm by myself than on a check ride. Go figure.

I had two check rides in a row to fix my numbers. I refuse to give FedEx any free time. My time is more valuable than that. Everything by the book, except what I mentioned above.

Purplepackage

This^^^^

I move at the same speed when I'm by myself as when I'm having a check ride. Only thing I do differently when I'm by myself, is keep my bulkhead door open and packages up front with me. My numbers are a lot better when I'm by myself than on a check ride. Go figure.

I had two check rides in a row to fix my numbers. I refuse to give FedEx any free time. My time is more valuable than that. Everything by the book, except what I mentioned above.

Same for me, there's no way I'm going to shut the bulkhead door in those sprinters, there is nothing more annoying than having to unlock the bulkhead door at every stop. At least in the grumlins all you have to do is swipe your hand

l22

I always shut the bulkhead door in whatever vehicle I take as I feel keeping the door shut is the proper, required method and the time it takes must be accounted for. I'd say whatever floats your boat though as far as keeping it open and also keeping packages up front - just not something I see any reason to do - if it takes longer to unlock a door and get a package so be it... If these you have to do these two things to help meet your numbers and some crap, I'd say don't do it though - it's really not worth doing something that you will get the blame for if management ever finds out. Although, they'd never find that out unless there an accident or something maybe - and even that would be hard to prove. They'd do their best to try and prove anything they want.

Last edited:

overflowed

You guys are saying don't cut corners so don't. Use the bulkheads, don't put shot up front and gain a couple grand a year. To go home a few minutes early?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You guys are saying don't cut corners so don't. Use the bulkheads, don't put shot up front and gain a couple grand a year. To go home a few minutes early?

Yes. To go home earlier. I have a rural route. I get plenty of hours. If it makes the difference between being able to pick up my child from practices or not, or be home before 8:00 at night, so be it.

barnyard

KTM rider
Same for me, there's no way I'm going to shut the bulkhead door in those sprinters, there is nothing more annoying than having to unlock the bulkhead door at every stop. At least in the grumlins all you have to do is swipe your hand

If your PU packages go on a plane, by law you have to keep your bulkhead door shut when you are not in your truck. Driver in my center got a written warning from a TSA agent. If the TSA guy wanted, he could have written a ticket with up to a $10,000 fine.

Do you get paid enough that you can afford a $10,000 fine??

It will be fine

I don't know how the sprinters are, but it only took one box flying off the top shelf and landing in the cab next to me to keep the bulkhead shut all day. A nice heavy box to the head will really ruin your day.

l22

I don't understand the working on break deal. The powerpad locks up. Only way possible is if you have towns far apart and you drive to them on your break
Some couriers write down tracking numbers and other info needed, deliver some of the packages during their break, then enter them in later on their route. A similar thing can be done while on break during a PU route. There's really no benefit to doing this and no one should be doing it.