Just became part-time supervisor. Have some questions.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Didn't read

Stop trolling and get on with your life

Haha go take a look at all the other comments people responded with to me then talk about respect.

When I get childish responses and trolls, I am gonna reply with whatever the hell I feel like.
You're going to need to do and learn a lot of this...just let it go. They aren't going to directly affect your day or your life. Let em go. You won't get along arguing with your pters the way you are here. I find that the sups I like best are a take charge water off a ducks back approach. Confident but affable. Can take a ribbing or understand a lot of things at UPS are heat of the moment type stuff. Also, they're people that understand that you can't get 100% appreciation and there's always those that you just aren't ever going to get along with. But, if you stick to your guns...do things right and honorably, treat people with the respect they earn and ignore the ones who troll...they seem to be the ones that win in the end.

When I get childish responses and trolls, I am gonna reply with whatever the hell I feel like.

If you heed any advice in this thread, heed this: Those childish responses you're talking about were people responding to you by saying whatever the hell they felt like. You're done with that now.

You need to learn to hear out uninformed nonsense and say exactly what you need to say in response to keep your job and your people and area working, not whatever you feel like. Tell a shop steward you're doing retapes because the company didn't hire enough hourlies and you'll find out how many grievance forms it takes to crush a human skull, and you will at some point find yourself in a conference call with your boss's boss's boss, who likely does not care for the inefficiency of free speech.

Don't be moved by people who don't understand your situation, because after the moment of their frustration has passed, your bosses remember what it was to be a pt sup and the unjust floggings they took; and if you respect the hourlies in your area even when they complain and cause problems and you continue to work for their benefit while not rolling over every time one has a tummy ache and spends a couple paid hours in the bathroom, they'll be less likely to make your job more difficult in the future and more likely to work harder for you. If you let the noise weigh you down, your job performance will suffer and the problems will pile up.

I also sense, and tell me if I'm wrong, that you view this new position as supervising subordinates. If the people in your area think you view them as subordinates, or that you were selected from among them because you were better than they were, they will do what they can to cut you down. Not that you certainly meant anything by it, but "I didn't want to spend my life as a loader making $9 an hour" doesn't sound respectful. Tell your loaders you're better at getting yelled at than building walls; it'll go a lot further toward building a good working relationship.

craftspace234

Wonder if he is still a PT sup, or if he quit?

Hello everyone. It's been about 6 months since I got promoted as a part time supervisor and I still like the job.

A lot of the things you guys said in here were true. Have to deal with employees and managers that bitch at you, get blamed for a lot of things even if they aren't your fault, your numbers represent how well you do, building relationships is key and that you still have to load a lot. The job is pretty stressful at times. However, it's not THAT bad as people point out to be. People really exaggerate on how bad it is. I still like it. The job not only pays well but it also teaches you how to become faster at things, manage your time well, plan ahead and become more responsible. I also notice that the time flies by real fast since you are always doing something. So yes the job is stressful but it's not nearly as bad as people point it out to be and I think its a perfect part time job for a college student like me.

hardcharger

The ones they've hired off the street think they were hired for their skills and past experience , not knowing all the car washers turned down the job because they know better.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
If you don't have the initiative to find out about your fringe benefits and healthcare through your mgmt team, you're in for a long hard ride. I can fully understand why you were "chosen." Get in and get out, is my best advice to you. Otherwise, you'll be making $15/hr for the next 15 years. That's the pitfall: dead end job.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
:weightlifter:See how theres no one to spot you. From my observation and first hand experience with my sons short 4 year part time sup career, look before you step and run, dont walk to the nearest exit. Ups hates the term full time.

craftspace234

So we have a "I just became a supervisor" and his first sentence starts with "I am totally confused..." Sounds like a perfect match for the job.

Incorrect. That was not my first sentence. That was my first question.

Please read my post again and the updated ones before making anymore comments. Thanks

F

FrigidAdCorrector

If you don't have the initiative to find out about your fringe benefits and healthcare through your mgmt team, you're in for a long hard ride. I can fully understand why you were "chosen." Get in and get out, is my best advice to you. Otherwise, you'll be making $15/hr for the next 15 years. That's the pitfall: dead end job.
Not all of us need teamcare. A program so many on here seem to complain about.... Being a PT sup gives me an opportunity to be a supervisor at a 100 billion dollar company before I graduate and go out to find a job in my field of study. Being able to put Supervisor at UPS on my resume is a good start.

I'm not sure why there is such a mentality that we all expect to stay at UPS for the rest of our lives.

PT Car Washer

I have often wondered why there are so many career PT sups. Is the money that good they can't afford to give the job. I am pretty sure after so many years they would have been making more an hour with more seniority opportunities staying Union.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have often wondered why there are so many career PT sups. Is the money that good they can't afford to give the job. I am pretty sure after so many years they would have been making more an hour with more seniority opportunities staying Union.

I would think they either have their own business or their FT job does not offer benefits. Beyond that I cannot see why they would still be a PT sup beyond 5 years or so.