Just can't get the hang of Preload

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Try to load all the shelves as orderly as possible. Sometimes the shelves are too small for all the packages, in which case I'd use the floor, but keeping things together, e.g. putting seq 8000-8499 on the shelves-in good order-but dropping 8500 to the end on the floor, and let driver know.

As for loading four or more trucks, when selecting your packages, especially in the beginning of the day try to pick packages of trucks close together, leaving your fifth car packages for another pull. Key word here is TRY. If the first two or three packages you touch are for the last car then you better go to the last car. Remember, DO NOT SKIP ANY BINS!

Oh, one caveat about skipping bins: after your bins are somewhat cleared out, you may decide to pass up on a very light bin and focus on a really heavy bin. Of course, you are going to pull more than four from the heavy bin. Same principle applies when you have an empty bin followed by a bin with more than 4 (since you normally only take 4 per bin) packages in it.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

More tips: take notice of when you have a stop with, say 6 fairly large pieces, like QVC boxes for one house. Please load them together on the floor. Let your driver know about them. This leaves more room on the shelves for packages going to individual stops.

Don't be afraid to use shelves that are consistently light/empty for overflow, rather than putting packages on the floor.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Taking the time to write on packages will do it. that is probably just one of a few issues. The company does this to "hustle and bustle" you into running around. They want to see if you panic or not. It's not cool, inhumane really.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just my opinion - never stack a single box outside the truck. Sink or swim.

The main thing, as a preloader, is knowing the bulk stops. if you familiarize yourself with the RDR, RDL, FL, of all four of your cars, you will be able to get a good handle of 50% of where everything goes without having to look for blurry pal labels. This aspect is purely familiarization and takes time.

There are many pulls that I could nearly contain purely from memory. Bulk stops - One would get mostly HP printers/pkgs, one would get nutri-foods, tennis balls, etc etc.

Also, never "set up" cages for the go-around. It's futile, don't know why people do that.

Stacking is futile, despite what mgmt and other people tell you. Stacking is also unsafe and can easily be refused.

JMO

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
PreloadNub, I have been working preload for a bit over a year. When I started, I had lots of misloads. I had days with as many as ~7. I was also very slow. Misloads... slow... I'm surprised I wasn't fired. I think what saved me is that my load quality was decent right off the bat. You might say misloads = bad quality, but I'm talking about the placement of packages. My drivers liked me pretty quickly. Also, management saw and acknowledged that I really was trying. I wasn't being lazy. Maybe that helped as well.

If you have the opportunity (if time allows) to driver help, I suggest you do it this peak season. I don't know if you have any issues with load quality, but as ok as I was early on, helping deliver packages helped me to learn the best way to load them.
A year+ later, today, I had what I would consider one of my top three best loads ever. It was absolutely beautiful. I wish the driver didn't have to take the truck. I would have liked them to leave it there for me to look at every morning.

While most people who work preload do not like their job, I do "look forward" to coming in every morning.

Its called sequences, loading number by number. It isnt hard to do, this isnt rocket surgery. Yet, it is when you first start out. The reason you werent fired is because they can get any other slum dog lazy jerk within the building to do yours, mine and his job in a million years. Preload is the job where most people quit, it is the job most hired for often by UPS.

I dont want to rain on laffers "suggestion" dont go for the driver helper job this year. You should be trying to make your job easier by learning as much as you can at the job you have now. You're gonna need all the energy you can muster up to do the job day in and out. The focus should be learning the job, not the money right now.

The suggestions about preload are somewhat ok in this thread. I'd rather wait to pour some great useful info about it later. This is my weekend, let me enjoy it.