Just Checking In......and out.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Upstate, always taking the high road.
Just checking in - Been 6 or so weeks, wanted to see if there was anyone new, not so negative. Let down again, I'll try again in 6 weeks.

I'm driving a route daily AND driving Saturday Air - Yes, I know, not possible and all that. Tons of hours - and end up with $40/week due to ex-wife. Not kidding. Gotta go back to court with that one.

If it makes you feel any better UpYoursNY, Pretty Steve, etal., I absolutely friend&&&&&ing hate it. Hate it.

Not the driving/delivery - the driving & delivery is not rocket science, it is a timed event that you can improve with practice. The driving, delivery, customer contact I really like. Lost 35 lbs since starting, best shape in my life. Thought my knees were not gonna make it in the beginning.

What I hate is the way we are managed. My oncar sup simply screams & yells. 100% of the time. Most miserable human I have ever met, in any capacity, ever. An awful human - made me question if I wanted to work with a company that would put such an awful person in such a position.

I hate that I have to log in an hour lunch and two breaks every day, even though I have never, not once, had the time or ability to take a break or lunch.

I hate that sups expect you to defy the laws of physics - albeit safely - or get screamed at.

I'm at a loss how UPS is still in business with the type of middle management it has. And yes, by the way, I could do it better. My 8 year old daughter could do it better. You could do it better.

The WORK is fantastic, and I love it. The constant hassle for no apparent benefit simply sucks. Anyone ever watch "Office Space"? It's those damn TPS reports all over again.

Anyway, anyone new starting out - if you have a thick skin, you'll do fine. As I've been told over & over, as long as you don't crash during your first 30, you'll do fine. Start as young as possible. And ignore all the negative people here who say it is not possible because it is so written somewhere.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Upstate, always taking the high road. What an ass.

Just checking in - Been 6 or so weeks, wanted to see if there was anyone new, not so negative. Let down again, I'll try again in 6 weeks.

I'm driving a route daily AND driving Saturday Air - Yes, I know, not possible and all that. Tons of hours - and end up with $40/week due to ex-wife. Not kidding. Gotta go back to court with that one.

If it makes you feel any better UpYoursNY, Pretty Steve, etal., I absolutely friend&&&&&ing hate it. Hate it.

Not the driving/delivery - the driving & delivery is not rocket science, it is a timed event that you can improve with practice. The driving, delivery, customer contact I really like. Lost 35 lbs since starting, best shape in my life. Thought my knees were not gonna make it in the beginning.

What I hate is the way we are managed. My oncar sup simply screams & yells. 100% of the time. Most miserable human I have ever met, in any capacity, ever. An awful human - made me question if I wanted to work with a company that would put such an awful person in such a position.

I hate that I have to log in an hour lunch and two breaks every day, even though I have never, not once, had the time or ability to take a break or lunch.

I hate that sups expect you to defy the laws of physics - albeit safely - or get screamed at.

I'm at a loss how UPS is still in business with the type of middle management it has. And yes, by the way, I could do it better. My 8 year old daughter could do it better. You could do it better.

The WORK is fantastic, and I love it. The constant hassle for no apparent benefit simply sucks. Anyone ever watch "Office Space"? It's those damn TPS reports all over again.

Anyway, anyone new starting out - if you have a thick skin, you'll do fine. As I've been told over & over, as long as you don't crash during your first 30, you'll do fine. Start as young as possible. And ignore all the negative people here who say it is not possible because it is so written somewhere.

You ruined it for yourself.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

From experience, I know that if you allow UPS to establish grounds of what someone will do and how it will get done, they will expect that same result every time.

For example: UPS and the union lied in job bids in 2008 and put my senority date 8/1/98 so no one else could bid on my job, which I was basically my center teams #*%)# ( had a hand in it). I ended up bidding something else partly to spite them.

How is this relevant? Well it's at least somewhat the same ideal as what happened with you! UPS and/or the union let others down and lied to get you into driving , probably passing by alot of people. If I'm wrong and you were legitimately next on the list, I'm wrong. But I doubt you were. Now UPS has you right where they want you. You'll run a lunch, you'll do anything to keep your job. You made it clear from day one that UPS can expect the impossible from you and still be treated terribly all while keeping your mouth shut.

To me, it seems as though had someone worked there way up as a part-timer, earned their stripes, wouldn't be running a lunch and allowing some miserable schmuck to yell and scream. But you have your tail between your legs because that's the scenerio you at least partly allowed to play out!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Let's see - Ruined it for myself, taking my original post -

By marrying my first wife
By not seeing earlier that management was sub-par
By not just taking my lunch & dealing with being an hour over daily
By not developing some form of time-travel

Which one are you talking about?

I don't know you, so I won't go into your personal life. But from what details you have given about your days at UPS (not even a year yet, no?), you set yourself up at least in part, for a miserable ride. again, I'm really not trying to start on the whole internet arguement thing here, and nto trying to get under your skin.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
From experience, I know that if you allow UPS to establish grounds of what someone will do and how it will get done, they will expect that same result every time.

For example: UPS and the union lied in job bids in 2008 and put my senority date 8/1/98 so no one else could bid on my job, which I was basically my center teams #*%)# ( had a hand in it). I ended up bidding something else partly to spite them.

How is this relevant? Well it's the same ideal as what happened with you! UPS and/or the union let others down and lied to get you into driving , probably passing by alot of people. If I'm wrong and you were legitimately next on the list, I'm wrong. But I doubt you were. Now UPS has you right where they want you. You'll run a lunch, you'll do anything to keep your job. You made it clear from day one that UPS can expect the impossible from you and still be treated terribly all while keeping your mouth shut.

To me, it seems as though had someone worked there way up as a part-timer, earned their stripes, wouldn't be running a lunch and allowing some miserable schmuck to yell and scream. But you have your tail between your legs because that's the scenerio you at least partly allowed to play out!

Damn.

I agree with you, with the exception of "But you have your tail between your legs". Although I am not in a position of strength, and the benefits are great, I was seriously considering by the end of last week asking to be put back on sort. Money is not the deciding factor, as I never see any of it.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Damn.

I agree with you, with the exception of "But you have your tail between your legs". Although I am not in a position of strength, and the benefits are great, I was seriously considering by the end of last week asking to be put back on sort. Money is not the deciding factor, as I never see any of it.

True. Of course you want to provide for your children and buy them nice things (I would hope), but then look at your on-car sup, how miserable that person is. no amount of moneys worth it as you know, no matter who you are or what you do.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

How is this relevant? Well it's at least somewhat the same ideal as what happened with you! UPS and/or the union let others down and lied to get you into driving , probably passing by alot of people. If I'm wrong and you were legitimately next on the list, I'm wrong. But I doubt you were. Now UPS has you right where they want you. You'll run a lunch, you'll do anything to keep your job. You made it clear from day one that UPS can expect the impossible from you and still be treated terribly all while keeping your mouth shut.

I agree with Do Less. The way to fix this, here and now, is to start taking your full lunch. Then you can walk into the office, steward in hand and talk to the man/woman. Let them know how you feel, what you've been doing and tell them you're done doing it that way.

Listen to the feedback you get, without strangling said man/woman. When you're done, go out and do what you're supposed to do. If you don't do this your life will be a living hell for the duration. You'll wish you never worked here. You can make this good or bad, bbag. You just have to control your situation better.

By the way, you're not the only one paying child support and having a crappy ex wife. We all have issues in and out of work, it's the way that you deal with those issues that determines your well being, my friend.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Speaking of Union / Shop Stewards -

In my first 5 of 30 days, I was approached no less than 3 times per day, asking me what violations occurred, such as no lunch (there were more)

Now, going by the book, I should have opened my mouth. On the other hand, I wanted to make no waves when first starting.

If it were not for the benefits (6 kids, an ex and a current wife) I would never have taken the job, and would certainly not have stayed.

No, USNYer, I'm not whining.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Speaking of Union / Shop Stewards -

In my first 5 of 30 days, I was approached no less than 3 times per day, asking me what violations occurred, such as no lunch (there were more)

Now, going by the book, I should have opened my mouth. On the other hand, I wanted to make no waves when first starting.

If it were not for the benefits (6 kids, an ex and a current wife) I would never have taken the job, and would certainly not have stayed.

No, USNYer, I'm not whining.

Once you make those dreaded waves....they'll be making the waves, as I'm sure youre aware.

" ungrateful, peon, insubordinate of past practice, how dare you make waves after ALL we DID for you....now you want to complain about your lunch....you didn't take your lunch? WE didn't know anything about that. If that's the case, it was fine before with you not taking your lunch, so why isn't it fine now??...Everything has to be YOUR way, doesn't it"
yada yada. Been there, done that.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree with Do Less. The way to fix this, here and now, is to start taking your full lunch. Then you can walk into the office, steward in hand and talk to the man/woman. Let them know how you feel, what you've been doing and tell them you're done doing it that way.

Listen to the feedback you get, without strangling said man/woman. When you're done, go out and do what you're supposed to do. If you don't do this your life will be a living hell for the duration. You'll wish you never worked here. You can make this good or bad, bbag. You just have to control your situation better.

By the way, you're not the only one paying child support and having a crappy ex wife. We all have issues in and out of work, it's the way that you deal with those issues that determines your well being, my friend.

I reiterate......

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Once you make those dreaded waves....they'll be making the waves, as I'm sure youre aware.

" ungrateful, peon, insubordinate of past practice, how dare you make waves after ALL we DID for you....now you want to complain about your lunch....you didn't take your lunch? WE didn't know anything about that. If that's the case, it was fine before with you not taking your lunch, so why isn't it fine now??...Everything has to be YOUR way, doesn't it"
yada yada. Been there, done that.

Three months ago, I would have said you were full of crap. Not anymore.