Just curious (package car drivers)

TheBeerDriver

Hey, I'm a delivery driver for a beer distribution center. Just wondering what you guys like/dislike about your jobs and if you have any questions about how we do things since we're in the delivery field.

Answer, no I don't get free beer. :(

Also, I've tried getting in with UPS but I just don't make the cut, took the tour for package handler twice and both times they pulled my background and then hear nothing. Plan on to just keep applying for it until they get sick of me and bring me in. Haha

upschuck

Hey, I'm a delivery driver for a beer distribution center. Just wondering what you guys like/dislike about your jobs and if you have any questions about how we do things since we're in the delivery field.

Answer, no I don't get free beer. :(

Also, I've tried getting in with UPS but I just don't make the cut, took the tour for package handler twice and both times they pulled my background and then hear nothing. Plan on to just keep applying for it until they get sick of me and bring me in. Haha
You'd be a better fit in feeders.

What is on your record?

PC drivers do about 10-15 times the stops that you do as a beer driver. To start as a package handler would take you a while to make PC.

TheBeerDriver

I've thought that too, but I like the physical work honestly. Plus the trucks we are in are automatic so I don't have much experience with a Manuel tractor. My record is clean, I've noticed that every time in the tour the HR asked me why I want to work a full time job plus a part time job. My guess is that the people who don't work full time else where might be a head of me in his eyes since I work a FT job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You'd be a better fit in feeders.

What is on your record?

PC drivers do about 10-15 times the stops that you do as a beer driver. To start as a package handler would take you a while to make PC.
Depends on where you are. We are hiring at a pretty crazy rate right now. And they are predicting online shopping to double in the next 5 years.

TheBeerDriver

Do you get free beer? We steal stuff so that's free to us.

No free beer, but we do have to scrub our trucks on Fridays and we can drink while we do, and during our meeting beer is provided but they have a limit now from people drinking until they could barley walk and then having to get rides. Haha

TheBeerDriver

Depends on where you are. We are hiring at a pretty crazy rate right now. And they are predicting online shopping to double in the next 5 years.

My plan is just to keep doing what I'm doing and just keep my eyes on the ups website. I can't complain about the gig I have right now but it could be better.

TheBeerDriver

I actually don't know if my local ups has feeder positions. Might be wrong but I know that ours is a center that works from the hub that is about a hour and a half drive from me. I could be totally wrong on that though.

upschuck

Our hub said they needed 17 feeder drivers permanent. He wanted to go through the package handler way which requires him to have 1 year safe driving a UPS vehicle.

Eye To Eye Contact.

I used to deliver for ben e keith budlight and bud all the anhieser products .. job only paid 20 dollars top rate for us … i liked it dont get me wrong because the women love the beer man .. but they also love the brown uni lol over all UPS is what you make it . work hard , get liked but the upers. and your golden they will do anythin to help you if you help them

TheBeerDriver

I also only work tues-Friday. I do a "bar route" which is a lot of kegs and a lot of them go to the basement of these places. Takes a toll on your body, which I'm sure UPS drivers have the same aches and pains when Friday rolls around.

Eye To Eye Contact.

well here in texas i my self make about $1300+ a week . but the pase for beer is so much slower much more laid back yu get to talk to your stores/bars . with ups its hi…bye

TheBeerDriver

well here in texas i my self make about $1300+ a week . but the pase for beer is so much slower much more laid back yu get to talk to your stores/bars . with ups its hi…bye

On my route its not very laid back, maybe a 1-2 minute convo while the owners pay me in cash and I have to double count it so I don't have to pay the difference. Other than that on average I deliver anywhere from 500-1000 cases per day with 15-50 kegs per day.