Just fired...I feel so dumb

whiskey

I don't understand.
But I do know that getting your job back has nothing to do with whether you were right or wrong. It has to do with whose turn it is. Hopefully it's the Teamsters turn to win one.
Stay well my friend.

HULKAMANIA

The Other side: Man I agree with EVERYTHING you are saying to the guy, BUT heres the deal. If he got sent out with their dispatch and failed to meet THEIR service requirements he would have been fired then to, or at least suspended. I know because its happened to me! I have had several problems with the way Im dispatched, air savers dispatched to businesses and in Edd in the 8,000 series after you get back from running 30 rural routes. Theres no way you can make that. We are trained to get in the trucks, follow the methods, WHICH to me includes EDD! I shouldnt HAVE to check to EDD to see if I have businesses lined up at the end of my day. That should BE THEIR JOB To see that they get delivered before 3:00. However that has happened to me twice and I am pending suspension because of THEIR stupidity. Yes the union is on my side, and yes everything will probably be ok. The fact of the matter is WE ALWAYS take the fall for Management's stupidity. Im definatly not saying the guy should have went along with what management said to do and put his job and saftey into question, that is an unfortunate situation and I hope all works out well for him.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The Other side: Man I agree with EVERYTHING you are saying to the guy, BUT heres the deal. If he got sent out with their dispatch and failed to meet THEIR service requirements he would have been fired then to, or at least suspended. I know because its happened to me! I have had several problems with the way Im dispatched, air savers dispatched to businesses and in Edd in the 8,000 series after you get back from running 30 rural routes. Theres no way you can make that. We are trained to get in the trucks, follow the methods, WHICH to me includes EDD! I shouldnt HAVE to check to EDD to see if I have businesses lined up at the end of my day. That should BE THEIR JOB To see that they get delivered before 3:00. However that has happened to me twice and I am pending suspension because of THEIR stupidity. Yes the union is on my side, and yes everything will probably be ok. The fact of the matter is WE ALWAYS take the fall for Management's stupidity. Im definatly not saying the guy should have went along with what management said to do and put his job and saftey into question, that is an unfortunate situation and I hope all works out well for him.

Hulka,

I agree with you to a point. But its the drivers job to make an assessment of the day before he leaves the hub, notifies the center management team that there is a possibility of service failures and would lile directions given to reflect this notification and then do the job. At that point, the err's would be on the dispatch and not the driver.

If a driver knows he has too much Air, and cannot make service, and leaves the building without notifying anyone, and then service fails pkgs, then THAT driver is holding the bag and subject to discipline.

We can NEVER be disciplined for following a directive.

In this case, there was no directive, there was a collaboration between a sup and a driver to "CHEAT" the system and they were both complicit in the action. This driver furthers his problems by falsifying his timecard and then signing a statement to that end.

He furthers the damage by refusing union representation and trying to take care of the problem himself.

These factors dont make him innocent. While I believe a simple explanation by the union could get him his job back, I believe that a bigger lesson needs to be learned by this driver and anyone who acts in the manner he does.

We are not here to contract with the company privately. We are here to honor the contract that affects us all. There is no room for CHEATS or people who will work for free regardless of the explanation.

Anyone who works for free deserves to be placed on the street. I have no tolerance for these people. We are suppose to be paid for our time, and there is no reason for an employee to volunteer time off the clock while his timecard is altered to reflect a dishonest act.

Period.

Peace.

UPSGUY72

The 10 hours rule is a DOT rule when you violate it UPS has to notify them. What most people don't know is that when you punch in and out that isn't just for you getting paid it also keeps track that you had 10 hours off and that your worked less than 60 hours and or had your 34 hr reset. When you punch in with less then 10 hrs off the system knows this and puts up a red flag that they have to notify the DOT. Your supervision can't change this because it happens almost instantly the second you punch in under 10 hrs or go over 60.

You might not think of it as a big problem working with less that 10 hrs off. But it a really big problem if you got in to a accident that day and someone else got hurt or worse you could have ended up in jail not to mention the problem that UPS would be in.

WE AS DRIVERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR making sure we have 10 hrs off between shifts, don't work more than 14 hours in one day, and don't work more than 60 hours in one week. It isn't your SUP's responsibility.

All you had to say is that your not in DOT compliance I can't work.

Feelsdumb

getting your job back has nothing to do with whether you were right or wrong.

I signed my statement admitting I had done wrong. I admitted it from the beginning, which some people have told me was the wrong way to go. I didn't realize the magnitude of the offense that I would get. I was more worried about getting in trouble for late air. I don't have a lot of years experience driving and I got my priorities mixed up. I would never say I didn't do wrong, I would only ask if what I did, in context, was enough to be permanently terminated. I have more than learned my lesson. I have learned more things just from reading this board the last few days than anything that our local union rep has ever talked about. I am not the type of to play dirty, I guess I was just taking my sup's job into my own hands because I thought I had to to make service times. I wasn't really sure that I couldn't be blamed for missed service on packages, I thought it was my responsibility even if we were overloaded. But if I am able to get my job back, I have learned more than just my lesson about this situation. It introduced me to this board which has shown me many other things that I hadn't heard of before, in terms of rights and how to think about our job.

rocket man

#1 are you in the Union , if so or not have you contacted your Local union , and the business agent for whom represents your area . Tell him everything , he is on your side . Seems to me if your story is true , you were instructed , but were aware of what you did as a way to get around laws set forth not by U.P.S. or your union but by the state in which you drive . Your sup. should be held accountable because the state can come down on U.P.S. , but I think to some degree you will be held accountable as well . They might just make you sit out a week or so to make you sweat it ( hopefully) or they could follow thru and terminate you , either way your first step is getting your business agent involved , and never , ever think that you are doing the company a FAVOR , they could give ashyt about you . Always have a steward with you for everything .Good luck .
you better have filed a grivance if not you are running out of time, go do it now

rocket man

#1 are you in the Union , if so or not have you contacted your Local union , and the business agent for whom represents your area . Tell him everything , he is on your side . Seems to me if your story is true , you were instructed , but were aware of what you did as a way to get around laws set forth not by U.P.S. or your union but by the state in which you drive . Your sup. should be held accountable because the state can come down on U.P.S. , but I think to some degree you will be held accountable as well . They might just make you sit out a week or so to make you sweat it ( hopefully) or they could follow thru and terminate you , either way your first step is getting your business agent involved , and never , ever think that you are doing the company a FAVOR , they could give ashyt about you . Always have a steward with you for everything .Good luck .
dont forget to file times a ticking

Feelsdumb

I filed the day I got fired. My meeting was supposed to be today. The union steward needed it to be changed to Tuesday, had a family emergency. The supervisor continued to work after his vacation and is still working. He had a 2 hour meeting with management his first day back. They said they would make a decision on his status yesterday. He worked today.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That has nothing to do with the status of your job. Your BA should be the one at the meeting, not your steward. Call your Hall Monday and ask him to be there. It's HIS job to represent you. I am not saying anything against the steward, but this is a very important meeting. You want you big dog there, just like they will. I highly doubt this is just a meeting with the center manager.

over9five

Staff member
That has nothing to do with the status of your job. Your BA should be the one at the meeting, not your steward. Call your Hall Monday and ask him to be there. It's HIS job to represent you. I am not saying anything against the steward, but this is a very important meeting. You want you big dog there, just like they will. I highly doubt this is just a meeting with the center manager.

Agreed. Call that BA!!!!

Mick32

There is so much that went on here that leaves me shaking my head. First off, you should never have agreed to change your timecard. You'll get your job back and all, because everyone does, but you could be kept out if they really wanted to do so, because, as they told you, dishonesty is a "cardinal". Your sup should definitely be gone for taking part in these shenanigans. Not only was he dishonest, he knowingly perpetrated a DOT violation as well. (Though I guess, technically, it is your responsibility as the driver to keep track of your DOT hours and eligibility.) Two late airs aren't worth two cats out of a job.
Also, the idea of having the guy who drives the Friday night airport shuttle so Saturday morning air is pretty stupid. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing this isn't the first time this situation came up on a Saturday, but it's just the first time they screwed up the time, got caught, and started and investigation.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I am so sick of young guys coming in and trying to do "TOO MUCH" because some supervisor wants to do more with less and improperly. If air is going to be failed, then you notify them that it will most likely be failed and they put another driver on the road.

I agree with u on this.

---You can take on more work then you can and lock in stops to prevent service failures, work off the clock B4 start time, put in fake breaks and lunches while working threw those times entered, even clock out B4 unloading air, hazmats, will calls, and group 3's.

---You can do all the cheats that are out there to make management ###'s look good and B the sining STAR for them, BUT it won't get you anywere fast.
---It isn't gonna give you a raise, or put you on a fast track to Perm. Full time with top rate any faster.
---It won't progress you threw your career with promotions.

---It CAN and WILL, if flagged & caught, cause U 2 LOSE your career and all those sacrifices will B meaningless and also incourage the practice of desolving routes and add cuts and splits and overdispatch.

---The Fake, GOOD ###'s only justifies all those things and gives them "proof" that it can B done even though it's over dispatch or bad Trace Dispatch.

---@ the least, it will lose U $ in overtime that you honestly did earn, regardless of what the time allowance was set for on your crazed out run!!!!

Protect your butt, even if it does give you bad ###'s and service failures. Be honest, work hard, but don't BE a fool, cause they care about them, not you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You are absolutely correct. The BA should be at any and all termination hearings. It is way above the stewards head.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You are absolutely correct. The BA should be at any and all termination hearings. It is way above the stewards head.

Not necesarily, I have gotten many a member reinstated with nothing more than a single day off. ALL ON MY OWN!! Not saying it wouldn't be beneficial to have a B/A involved, just don't say it's over a stewards head. We are the ones in the trenches with all the details and in depth knowledge of the operation. I would suggest having your Steward in every termination hearing as they can rebut anything management tries to present that is inacurate!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not necesarily, I have gotten many a member reinstated with nothing more than a single day off. ALL ON MY OWN!! Not saying it wouldn't be beneficial to have a B/A involved, just don't say it's over a stewards head. We are the ones in the trenches with all the details and in depth knowledge of the operation. I would suggest having your Steward in every termination hearing as they can rebut anything management tries to present that is inacurate!!
My apologies. I didn't mean for it to sound like you were incapable of doing the job. Nor did I say that the steward shouldn't be there. It is my personal opinion that the BA should be at every termination and that is what I have always been told by a 10 yr veteran steward (my old steward). :peaceful:

Feelsdumb

I misspoke. The BA is the one with the issue. I mixed up their titles. The steward is the one who fought to get it to Tuesday. The BA wanted it to be Friday of the coming week.

Brownsfan

I hope this works out the way it should. Please post the results of your meeting. We are working a very hostile environment right now and you have to protect yourself by doing everything by the book. If i have a misload or am going to have pkgs miss the trailer, i call in to see what they want me to do. I put it on them, so when they call me in the office i have a reason for why i drove or didnt drive 10 miles to make or not make service. In the old UPS i would have used driver discretion to make those decisions. Now I am just a robot.

Feelsdumb

I hope this works out the way it should. Please post the results of your meeting. We are working a very hostile environment right now and you have to protect yourself by doing everything by the book. If i have a misload or am going to have pkgs miss the trailer, i call in to see what they want me to do. I put it on them, so when they call me in the office i have a reason for why i drove or didnt drive 10 miles to make or not make service. In the old UPS i would have used driver discretion to make those decisions. Now I am just a robot.

I've learned my lesson. If I'm able to get back to work I will be a time card Nazi. This is one of the worst experiences that I've gone through. Just waiting two weeks and not knowing. Plus seeing my sup work when I'm at home biting my nails is not a good feeling.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
​Working for UPS tends to do that to many an employee. We learn to be a nazi about this that or the other. It's unfortunate but it happens. Good luck.

AKCoverMan

agreed.. This issue goes beyond just company rules. DOT requirements are law. And it just doesn't matter if a supervisor tells you to disregard the law, you are expected to do the right(legal) thing. What if the same supervisor told you to disregard school speed limits? or told you it didn't matter if you had some beers on your lunch hour? the law is the law! But.... talk to your union rep anyways, sometimes those guys can work magic.

Once I took out a package car, did my pretrip and found I had no turn signals. I turned around and went back in the building. Sup came and asked what was up why was I not on road; said "No turn signals." He tells me to just "be real careful" and be sure to DVIR it after the run. So I ask "OK, if I get in an accident because of no signal are you going to make sure its ruled unavoidable?" He scowled and then said "Well I guess we can do a car swap." I had a few late NDAs that day, but so be it.