Just getting' started on my retirement.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That's another question I had. UPS stocks. I'm eligible for the DESPP, and I already registered with the website, but I'm a little apprehensive. It's almost just like a rainy day fund, right? A different type of savings account? With the 5% discount aren't you technically getting an automatic return of 5%? My only concern is the minimum deduction of $10. Between 5% into the 401k, my union dues, paying off my debts and feeding myself, I don't know if I would even be able to handle all the deductions. Should I just shut up and do it? I mean I work for the company, I should have some level of confidence in its success....

By the way, what is MIP?
You give me faith in your generation.

Elvis

Forty and out
Pay off your debts. In the west we have a legal aid benefit, you might run this by a lawyer if you have that benefit, especially the probate and bankruptcy. You may not owe all that you think you do. The Roth is best for you, ultra-low mgmt. fees. Check with a lawyer too if as a retirement fund if it can be touched as an asset.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pay off your debts. In the west we have a legal aid benefit, you might run this by a lawyer if you have that benefit, especially the probate and bankruptcy. You may not owe all that you think you do. The Roth is best for you, ultra-low mgmt. fees. Check with a lawyer too if as a retirement fund if it can be touched as an asset.

The 401k cannot be touched when filing for bankruptcy.

UPS4Life

As far as the stock goes unless they changed it you have to leave it in there for 2 years before you can withdraw or you get a penalty.
I also look at it as a rainy day fund and will continue investing until they take the 5% away.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
As far as the stock goes unless they changed it you have to leave it in there for 2 years before you can withdraw or you get a penalty.
I also look at it as a rainy day fund and will continue investing until they take the 5% away.
Hope it doesn't rain within two years. The UPS stock plan is a joke. The 5% discount can be sucked up in one day of trading, the two year sell restriction is ridiculous, and you're also investing in a company you work for, when times go bad it effects both your job and your investments. If you want to own UPS stock, buy it on the open market.

UPS4Life

Hope it doesn't rain within two years. The UPS stock plan is a joke. The 5% discount can be sucked up in one day of trading, the two year sell restriction is ridiculous, and you're also investing in a company you work for, when times go bad it effects both your job and your investments. If you want to own UPS stock, buy it on the open market.
By the sounds of it you don't have a whole lot of faith in the company. Sure the 5% can be sucked up In a day because it's what like 5$/share...... Then again it could also go up too! Our stock over the last year has been pretty steady and the last 5 years gone up so I don't see the issue. If you want to make money sadly fedex is the way to go, Wall St loves them. The two year sell I look at just a commitment so you don't take the 5% and run. We do have a very nice dividend too so that's another plus. A hell of a lot better than apple and they're stock does nothing but go up.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
By the sounds of it you don't have a whole lot of faith in the company. Sure the 5% can be sucked up In a day because it's what like 5$/share...... Then again it could also go up too! Our stock over the last year has been pretty steady and the last 5 years gone up so I don't see the issue. If you want to make money sadly fedex is the way to go, Wall St loves them. The two year sell I look at just a commitment so you don't take the 5% and run. We do have a very nice dividend too so that's another plus. A hell of a lot better than apple and they're stock does nothing but go up.
I'm impartial to the stock itself, 5% discount is nothing in a single stock while the 2 year restriction is. I don't understand why anyone would purposely handcuff themselves for 2 years when you simply don't have to, all for a 1 time 5% discount instead of cost averaging in.

UPS4Life

I'm impartial to the stock itself, 5% discount is nothing in a single stock while the 2 year restriction is. I don't understand why anyone would purposely handcuff themselves for 2 years when you simply don't have to, all for a 1 time 5% discount instead of cost averaging in.
I understand where you're coming from maybe I'm just ok with it because 5% over time adds up and it could go up or down so you never know when the perfect time to buy is. Also if you do the stock plan you are contributing every week and purchasing at the end of the quarter. Even on sites like etrade if you did it on your own you would need discipline to keep it then get charged 10$ every time you buy. Both have their perks and down falls. It's just an investment for me, make a couple dollars along the way.

The Milkman

401k's came out in the middle of our working history so we had less time to take advantage of them. Now we can see with perfect hindsight how important an investment like that is. Mine is OK but not close to what it could have been with more time.

I was 36 when it came out and I signed up. I Started at age 30 so it would of been nice if it was available then