just got a damn ticket

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Could not disagree more. "A man who defends himself has a fool for a lawyer"

It's a moving violation, not a murder trial. No lawyering up, no need to study case law and find precedents.

1. Go to court
2. Plead guilty with explanation
3. Give BS explanation (I've never been in that area before and didn't see the sign)
4. Probation before judgement (As long as your record is clean)

O

OLDMAN3

The downside on this rolling stop violation is much greater than for most people....The loss of tens of thousands of dollars by not getting the driving job.
The lawyer may simply re-schedule to a day when a judge is in court who is more responsive to non-moving plea bargains.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The cop not showing up = automatic dismissal is a myth. I don't care how many classes you took at junior college, it's still a myth.

Um, No it's not a myth.

The cop would be the prosecutor, the driver is the defendant. If the prosecution does not show up, the defense wins automatically.

O

OLDMAN3

The cop not showing up = automatic dismissal is a myth. I don't care how many classes you took at junior college, it's still a myth.
No, but before some judges in some States you will have the charge/ticket dropped if the cop does not show up.
I have personal, real life experience with this. Not just law classes. You know not of which you speak.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
It wouldn't be dropped if you didn't challenge the ticket. Some tickets require you show up for a scolding by the judge.

Hence automatic dismissal=myth.

Thank you and good night

Daalcaar

I don't know about other states, but here in California you can request what's called a "written declaration." Basically all it is is you explain your defense in writing and submit it to the court. The court then submits that letter to the officer in charge of the infraction and he or she must write a response claiming your guilt. The magic with this is that most officers already have to much paperwork to deal with, given that about 95% of their job deals with paperwork, so most tend to ignore this because they don't want to deal with even more paperwork. Haha

MAKAVELI

I don't know about other states, but here in California you can request what's called a "written declaration." Basically all it is is you explain your defense in writing and submit it to the court. The court then submits that letter to the officer in charge of the infraction and he or she must write a response claiming your guilt. The magic with this is that most officers already have to much paperwork to deal with, given that about 95% of their job deals with paperwork, so most tend to ignore this because they don't want to deal with even more paperwork. Haha
In California you can also go to traffic school for most moving violations and have the citation never show on your record. I believe you can only do this once in 18 months and not for any reckless driving citation.

UPSGUY72

In Mass you can pay the ticket or contest it. If you contest it it's usually not in front of a judge a clerk-magistrate handles it most times. Also the cop doesn't have to show up just someone from his department. The magistrate will listen to both of you talk and make a decision to either leave it as is, reduce it or throw it out. If you don't like the outcome you can appeal again and then that time I believe the cop pulled you over has to be there but I'm not sure about that. If you appeal it again you will have another court date in front of a judge. You also can hire a lawyer.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Is your area hurting for drivers, might need to just talk to an on road and explain. If they need warm bodies, rules can be "modified".

Sent using BrownCafe App

TheKid99

I just found out i have a friend that has a friend that is a officer at the same department.

He told me don't worry about it. :)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I just found out i have a friend that has a friend that is a officer at the same department.

He told me don't worry about it. :)

When my dad was alive, he knew somebody at the courthouse. I had two or three speeding tickets in that county that got lost after a phone call. Stuff happens sometimes.