just got back from the doctor.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Asparagus causes bad flare-ups for my husband. He takes diclofenac as soon as his toe starts to hurt and that breaks it up but really upsets his stomach. I accepted NSAID side effects as part of my daily life years ago.

rod

Retired 22 years
At 63, and being sexually active as you claim to be,even if your eyesight may be failing,I believe you.I also envy you:wink2:

I'm not claiming to be like a rabbit but I sure to hell ain't dead. A friend of mines bohunk Iron Range Dad was still getting it on in his 70's. He's my hero. He liked to pick the gals (some old and some not so old) up at the bar and take them home for an evening of pleasure. The old guy died a few years ago and his son would tell everyone with a smile that they had a hard time closing the lid on his casket.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Beer and organ meats, those two seem to cause the majority of my flair ups. The docs usually give a script for 2 meds. 1 breaks up the uricemic (my spelling is way of on that one) crystals and the other is for the inflamation or swelling. The anti-inflamatory is worthless IMO. The other works like a charm and you can expect relief in less than a day with it when you have a full blown flair-up. I keep a bottle of it in my bag while working. If you take the med it as soon as the pain starts you can usually stop the pain in less than 2 hours.

Here's the kicker. My doc told me to take 1 every hour untill my stools become loose then 2 a day untill the flair-up is gone. The med causes "loose stools." This is a bit of an understatement!! The term, "explosive diarrhea" is an understatement!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a loose stool but after I tightened the hardware at the base of it it no longer rocks.---------------------I'm sorry- I couldn't resist. Thanks for your info--it is appreciated. Looks like beer is a no no now. Damn!

raceanoncr

rod, been a few days now. Any more flare-ups w/new meds? Beer? Harley? Hope things are crankin and weather's getting so's you can git that thing out. Man, didn't even make 40 here yesterday. Little better today but kinda glad this ankle's bummed right now anyway. Better than if was 80's and I could hear all the sickles roaring past.

Good luck.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nothing new to report. So far everything is A-ok. I get to pop another pill starting in about 4 weeks. The doc said that the pills I took that worked so good right after my episode will stay with me for a few weeks and not to start the new ones for about a month. Can't be much of a pill----only $3.00 co-pay. I even went out Monday and had a couple Mac/cokes without any problems and am back doing my daily 2 mile walk so I guess all in all I will live. I haven't been on the new bike since a week ago today --- it refuses to warm up around here and I'm a "fair weather" biker. (50 degrees or better). Last fall I didn't put the old bike away until the last day I went for a putt and it was 21 degrees----enough of that crap!!! The last snow pile in my yard finally disappeared today so we are slowly gaining. In the mean time I just stand in my garage and look at the bike and dream. How pathetic is that?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Nothing new to report. So far everything is A-ok. I get to pop another pill starting in about 4 weeks. The doc said that the pills I took that worked so good right after my episode will stay with me for a few weeks and not to start the new ones for about a month. Can't be much of a pill----only $3.00 co-pay. I even went out Monday and had a couple Mac/cokes without any problems and am back doing my daily 2 mile walk so I guess all in all I will live. I haven't been on the new bike since a week ago today --- it refuses to warm up around here and I'm a "fair weather" biker. (50 degrees or better). Last fall I didn't put the old bike away until the last day I went for a putt and it was 21 degrees----enough of that crap!!! The last snow pile in my yard finally disappeared today so we are slowly gaining. In the mean time I just stand in my garage and look at the bike and dream. How pathetic is that?

Pathetic is standing in the garage looking at an empty space and dreaming.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks for starting this thread. I had a problem Friday and by the time I got home I could not walk. My little toe.
Not knowing what the heck happened I started searching, have not been to the doc, but this sounds like it. I soaked it in epsom salts, helped alot, and my doby stepped on it a few times which actually made it feel better. Or took my mind off it. What weird things we get. Call into work, "im not coming in, my toe hurts" LOL

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
NOT GOUT. I examined my shoe, and realized the steel toe had broken through. And beat up my toe, all day long. Funny how you can be so busy, as to not feel pain....til you quit.

DS

Fenderbender
Steel toe? get some new balance walking shoes,or those new fancy ones in the shoe thread.
Funny how pain takes awhile before you respond.
Some things you can't change,but some you can

menotyou

bella amicizia
The rules for shoes only require leather uppers. Meaning sneakers. They make sneakers/walking shoes with non-slip, oil resistant soles. I would love to try those sneakers that are advertised here.