Just got back from the orthodontist, they told me my insurance doesn't cover

I'm getting fitted for braces and I just got a call from my orthodontist and said that my insurance doesn't cover because I'm over the age of 19. The receptionist was surprised because she said normally Aetna covers half of the initial down payment. Is there someone I can talk too in the hub to make sure this is correct? This is about a $700 fee that I'm forced to pay!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm getting fitted for braces and I just got a call from my orthodontist and said that my insurance doesn't cover because I'm over the age of 19. The receptionist was surprised because she said normally Aetna covers half of the initial down payment. Is there someone I can talk too in the hub to make sure this is correct? This is about a $700 fee that I'm forced to pay!

Call AETNA but that sounds right to me. My wife's ortho work was 100% OUTOFPOCKET

iowa boy

Aetna only covers orthodontia for dependent children under the age of 19. Being over 19, Aetna is not going to cover the cost of your braces. Sorry to break the bad news to you, but its in your summary plan description book on page 20.

edit: and yes, I am one of those idiots that actually reads that stuff and understands some things about how insurance works.

959Nanook

This is why you always get a predetermination of benefits before you get any dental work done.

I hadn't been to dentist in years but an injury forced me to get root canals this year. My dentist called me today to reschedule my appointment (my first regular non-trauma or non-restorative appointment) until after the first of year because they were concerned that I am too close to my annual cap on dental coverage. That phone call will probably result in me becoming a loyal patient.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Thankfully my parents covered my braces when I was a kid several decades ago. I only had to cover 3 kids. I must say our insurance thru local 344 was quite good and my UPS stock dividends covered the rest.