Just got disqualified - any thoughts?

whiskers

What does a bid route have to do with there being time allowances or not ??? He said he was on a training route that had different add/ cuts on it just like any other route does on any given day...

The OP says he knows that cover drivers that do that route don't run scratch either.. I sense we haven't heard the whole story. The OP has given us information that a seasonal driver would know not a someone that is trying to qualify. ( ie the regular driver get less stop and the cover drivers that cover the route can't run scratch either. )

He said he's been on the preload for a while. I'm not a driver, but I am friends with a lot of the drivers in my center, and I can easily find out who scratches and how frequent.

HULKAMANIA

This is total and absolute nonsense.

Ok so how about this-In our center they are no longer letting us code over in the mornings to sort and load to load out our trucks so it goes against our am time. Ok so if you do that and you have 15-20 minutes of loading your own truck, then its pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch! Show me where you can burn 15 minutes of dead time on ANY route and be able to make that up anywhere.

So in my opinion he should grieve it even if just for clarification. Also, shouldnt managment have to have a REASON as to WHY they disqualified him? If there entire reason was, "Its not working out" tell him WHY. I know why cause they wanted to be DISHONEST and use him for 27 days knowing they was going to screw him in the end. I love how as a driver you get to hear about how honest and full of integrity you are suppose to be. I guess you get to throw all that away the minute you step into management? IMO they straight lied to his face. I agree why in the world would you wanna just lay over and play dead on this issue?

OH and IMO if he wasnt working out they wouldnt have kept him on the route for 27 days, they would have KNOWN hes not going to work within the first 10 days. So again all the fingers point to hes being lied to, and the more I think about it the more it just ticks me off. Why is it that drivers are the ONLY people that are held to perfection? We arent allowed to say OH I missed 27 businesses today cause I didnt feel the load was working out.

ymelord

What's he going to grieve ??? Please state the article and section of the contract that he is going to use when filing his grievance for being DQ's during his 30 days probationary period... They can DQ him for anything and filing a grievance isn't going to help his chance of making his 30 days in the future it would just about make it sure that he will never make his 30 days....
That's what I was thinking what do you grieve, unless there is something in there about being properly trained, I don't have to deal with this having been on the same route forever. Doesn't cost anything to grieve something to make them tell you why you failed

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
What's he going to grieve ??? Please state the article and section of the contract that he is going to use when filing his grievance for being DQ's during his 30 days probationary period... They can DQ him for anything and filing a grievance isn't going to help his chance of making his 30 days in the future it would just about make it sure that he will never make his 30 days....
My book is out in the truck but I'd go with senority violation and possibly harassment. It's mainly to get another set of eyes in the office so that they can't just DQ him because of anything personal.

Buck Fifty

My book is out in the truck but I'd go with senority violation and possibly harassment. It's mainly to get another set of eyes in the office so that they can't just DQ him because of anything personal.

17,22,48,49 and all that apply !!! 37 should always be on any grievance it would seem !

Last edited by a moderator:

Thebrownstreak

I can count one my two hands how many times I've ran scratch in my 7 years driving. My center is so effed up that management doesn't even care. We have maybe 7 drivers in a 94 trip building tha scratch.

Indecisi0n

??? bs you dont have to scratch show what page in contract in any state where it says that. iperformance the only thing i can see what this nt to 31driver did wrong and this is the only thing he bragged that he only had a few days to go> the last few days is when you say nothing to no one you kick back and count to 31

It's a management rule. They get the final say so they make the rules.

W

want to retire

This is how it went for me 22 years ago.........I got to the 22 day mark.........(That was the make or break timeline)(at that time you had to have five days under-allowed in a row)........I had four days under and one day with 5 clicks(5 hundreths of an hour) all in a row........they fired me. To make a very long story shorter........I filed a grievance and was given a "second try"...........I made seniority easily.......I had a union steward who cared and payed attention. He told me I was on a "put together" route(not a true training route). I went to the panel(13 hours away) but never actually made it to the panel.......the Company settled that morning.....What does this mean? I believe anything is possible. I believe that if they don't like you.....you will not make it........I believe the "numbers" can be and are changed.......I also believe it takes a certain person to drive a UPS truck for a living.....this job is not possible for every person.

wncdriver

I know its a hard job, and I know I am supposed to scratch during my training period to qualify, but during the first 3 days while my trainer was on with me - we never scratched. Even though he put the route together himself and knew it perfectly and I was pretty much just being a driver helper for the first 2 days. I was off for a week during my qualification (I had already bid it off as a part timer and they gave it to me) and when I came back on monday I looked to see how good the cover driver did on friday - 1.23 over with a 14.5 sporh, and I found out from him that they had pulled 3 of his pickups so he could get his saturday air in on time... I ran better than that many days without having pick ups taken off. I didnt hit anything, I delivered all my stops, even when they added areas that I had never been to and was not trained on. Those are the reasons that I think I was treated unfairly... If I cant run scratch with the oncar sup on the car, and if the cover drivers that run it regularly cant scratch on it, AND if they add to it areas that are not normally part of the route (confirmed by the routes bid driver) - how am I supposed to scratch?
But, like some of you said (and thank all of you for your responses) they make the rules up so I can just hope for a better shot next time. Unless the union will step up the plate for me.

rocket man

It's a joke dude, in my center if you get training route with ****ty time study and dispatch ur screwed, if you get training route two, you can suck and your golden, if you get training route 3, they will likely get an accurate judge of your performance.
big effin deal about your center your pretty hostile about this post whats this guy blowing your numbers away maybe he wants your route and you are worried, up yours and numbers there are thousands of posts on this about jacked up numbers.

tourists24

I know its a hard job, and I know I am supposed to scratch during my training period to qualify, but during the first 3 days while my trainer was on with me - we never scratched. Even though he put the route together himself and knew it perfectly and I was pretty much just being a driver helper for the first 2 days. I was off for a week during my qualification (I had already bid it off as a part timer and they gave it to me) and when I came back on monday I looked to see how good the cover driver did on friday - 1.23 over with a 14.5 sporh, and I found out from him that they had pulled 3 of his pickups so he could get his saturday air in on time... I ran better than that many days without having pick ups taken off. I didnt hit anything, I delivered all my stops, even when they added areas that I had never been to and was not trained on. Those are the reasons that I think I was treated unfairly... If I cant run scratch with the oncar sup on the car, and if the cover drivers that run it regularly cant scratch on it, AND if they add to it areas that are not normally part of the route (confirmed by the routes bid driver) - how am I supposed to scratch?
But, like some of you said (and thank all of you for your responses) they make the rules up so I can just hope for a better shot next time. Unless the union will step up the plate for me.
WNC... are you in NC? which center?

clarnzz

big effin deal about your center your pretty hostile about this post whats this guy blowing your numbers away maybe he wants your route and you are worried, up yours and numbers there are thousands of posts on this about jacked up numbers.

I feel for the original poster, it's a completely unfair process where driver A falls into cover route A where even a veteran would struggle to run scratch and driver B falls into cover route B where you could take a 30 minute nap on the clock and be an hour under. Guess you misunderstood what I was getting at....

W

want to retire

Just to add to my legend, I ran peak with a helper before seniority. Nothing like a P600 with a wooden bulkhead door stuffed with 250 stops and a couple of clip boards. I miss the gravy days.

My first peak was a p600 with 250 stops! I failed so miserably that they sent a sup to ride with me and he stayed until noon and left.....never saw him again......

working up a sweat

I just got a union bid to go driving. I am slated to go to Integrad 7/30. I made 4 phone calls to get a road test. Everybody is passing the buck. Too busy take 10 minutes for a road test. I am ready, willing and able to show how capable that I am to show how good I can qualify.