just got fired

DorkHead

center manager calls me in the office with steward this morning says on the 6th I had an unreported accident at 10:02pm. Witness says I delivered the pkg, when I was leaving I hit the customers front bumper, then backed up and drove off. I asked for the telematics report showing where I backed and center manager says there is no backing on the telematics for the time in question. I didn't hit that car. This is bogus. Took my I.d. and walked me out.

Today is the 18th, so the customer waited 12 days to report this? Something sounds awful fishy here. I know first hand that telematics shows backing with a red line. Forward, blue line. So, either telematics was down at the time in question which is highly unlikely or your center manager is lying. Simple as that.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Had a strange thing happen to me this week .
I was called to a meeting by the mgr with the DM of HR and another hourly as my rep. The DM of Hr told us about a corp concern that a black woman had felt that she was discriminated against . Seems that she shows up at the door of the Customer Counter after closing and was told by employee that she would not be allowed in , yet this same employee let another non-black woman in .
Seeing how I have had issues similar to this complaint , they naturally assumed it was me . And they brought in the DM of HR to drop the hammer on me .
As the DM started to read the letter I asked on what day this happened . And then on what date , the writer of the letter thought it was either on the 9 or 12th of August .
My reply was " I was on vacation " . Seconded by the employee who was standing in as my rep. I turned to my mgr. asking him if he recalled that I had taken all 4 weeks of Aug as vacation time .
Surely they were gunning for me , without first making sure they had all the facts .
Great bunch of people we work for , always siding with some customer rather with a 37yr employee .

didyousheetit

just remember back pay is not guaranteed. I had similar incident happen to me. Pulled into tight cul-de-sac parked on street made delivery next day air letter walked up the drive which was shared by two residences. Get ods hour later that I damaged new driveway. The shared drive had just been done week ago with expensive brick about 40,000 dollars worth. The neighbor of the one I delivered to came home seen a cracked brick on edge of drive asked the consignee of the package I had delivered to earlier if she had seen anything. She hadn't but said it must have been the ups guy because he left a package at my front door. I get called to back to the house where on car sup is meeting me. I see tire marks on drive that any idiot could tell were from a trailer being backed up. I look across the circle and see a pool truck and trailer delivering hot tub. show every one involved that's your culprit. point being make sure you didn't do it.

OptimusPrime

I won't lie. This stuff scares me. Got roughly 13 years with the company, and 1.5 driving. Maybe I should have just went combo. Seems those guys have full immunity. And us drivers the reverse. I tire of the PCM's. "Yesterday in Buttlick center we had an accident. The driver was approaching a house located 73.5 miles off of the road. He pulled over to the shoulder, tucked his mirrors, set the parking brake, put on his flashers, and was going to walk it off, seeing as the driveway had unsafe trees, low hanging power lines, 3 poorly placed basketball hoops, and numerous blind children meandering across the driveway. As he was setting off to deliver the package a car from a blind driveway across the street proceeded to back out. Said driver was checking his NFL fantasy team on his Yahoo mobile app, while using a turkey fryer in the passenger seat. Some grease spatter struck his eye, and he immediately fled the vehicle. In his haste, he shut off the engine, put the vehicle in park, and called Triple AAA. While said PC was parked , a massive bird dropping dented the front bumper. Sadly we must say the driver was fired. Obviously an avoidable accident.

Ouch

center manager says he was just doing what he was told. He said he knew he didn't have enough evidence and he knows I'm gonna get my job back. He said he had to do something within the 10 day period and try to scramble up all of the evidence afterwards. If they wanna pay me to take some time off, then so be it.

Um hate to tell you this but your center manager will also tell you he is not the one not willing to give you back pay. Funny how he didnt bother to stick up for you and tell who ever was telling him to fire you that he cant because your innocent. Ever wonder why they cant be honest and do the right thing. They do something like this and expect you to just get over it and be happy you got your job back. I would file a grievance on it and request to be made whole in all ways. Do not accept anything less.

iruhnman630

Similar incident happened to me:

Executing a multi-point turn to get a 10 cube turned around in a tight spot I knew I had to back close to a parked car. I watched the monitor closely, confident I had not made contact with the car.

About 30 min later a customer, an insurance adjuster, caught up to me in town to tell me he watched it and that I may have hit the car, which already had known previous damage. Fearing I may have unknowingly rolled back into it, I followed him back to the scene, lined up my bumper to the damage, and we both agreed I could not have caused the damage.

Unfortunately the complaint call had already been made, and I spent the next 15 minutes on the phone defending myself as to why I didn't call in an accident which never happened.

good times.

Best move I made was going back to the scene. Otherwise I would've certainly been guilty by accusation of an accident which never happened.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Here's something to ponder.

There was an accident a couple of days ago in my center. The driver, a "maniac" who comes in 35 minutes early to go through his load before start time, then leaves the pen 10 to 15 minutes before his actual start time, gets on the freeway and hits 80mph everyday. He races on residential streets, skips lunch and breaks and comes in everyday at 530pm NO MATTER how many stops they put on him.

Two days ago, this "maniac", was driving on the wrong side of a residential street and hit a tree branch on the left front top of the pkg car bending the cab backwards and popping out the front windows and breaking the side windows. The left mirror bracket was also broken.

This "maniac" DID NOT REPORT the accident to the center when it happened. (230pm) and instead, took out his tape gun ( no chitt ) and taped the windows back onto the pkg car, including the side windows and also, taped on the left side mirror bracket to the pkg car. He CONTINUED to deliver the rest of the day and came into the building at 530pm! ( same as always despite this accident and delays for taping)

His vision was obscured by the tape and cracks in the windows, not to mention the bent "A PILLARS" of the cab. The bulkhead door was tough to open and close due to the bent frame of the body.

At NO TIME did he call the center or any supervisor to report the crash. He waited until he returned to the building in the PM to tell anyone in the center. The center manager listened to his story (which didnt check out when compared to the damage) and yet THE COMPANY HAS NOT FIRED THIS DRIVER for a failure to report.

At this point, it looks like the MOST he will get is a warning letter and a bunch of ridiculous rides.

The company prefers "PRODUCTION" over safety despite being WARNED about this drivers wreckless behavior on the road. I have pictures of the pkg car if anyone doesnt believe the details. All this talk about safety, and this "runner" hits this tree branch so hard he TOTALED the pkg car.

In your case, the company fired you for alledgedly "scratching" a bumper, and in our case, this A-hole totals his pkg car and they give him a break.

There is no consistency in application of discipline at UPS.

When this "runner" gets back onto the road, he will continue to drive like a "maniac" and next time, he will kill someone and that will rest upon the shoulders of the center manager and division manager who did not take the appropriate action for this accident and the failure to report.

Peace

TOS

rkctkc

I haven't filed a grievance yet, I wasn't home 15 minutes and got a call saying my dad got shot and is in the ICU. Someone tried to rob him, shot him in the back twice. Been at the hospital all day.

vowl

up late
A few years back I was rear-ended by a USPS van. Made a small dent in my car, but I decided It wasn't worth messing up some guys job over.

jaker

trolling

There was an accident a couple of days ago in my center. The driver, a "maniac" who comes in 35 minutes early to go through his load before start time, then leaves the pen 10 to 15 minutes before his actual start time, gets on the freeway and hits 80mph everyday. He races on residential streets, skips lunch and breaks and comes in everyday at 530pm NO MATTER how many stops they put on him.

Two days ago, this "maniac", was driving on the wrong side of a residential street and hit a tree branch on the left front top of the pkg car bending the cab backwards and popping out the front windows and breaking the side windows. The left mirror bracket was also broken.

This "maniac" DID NOT REPORT the accident to the center when it happened. (230pm) and instead, took out his tape gun ( no chitt ) and taped the windows back onto the pkg car, including the side windows and also, taped on the left side mirror bracket to the pkg car. He CONTINUED to deliver the rest of the day and came into the building at 530pm! ( same as always despite this accident and delays for taping)

His vision was obscured by the tape and cracks in the windows, not to mention the bent "A PILLARS" of the cab. The bulkhead door was tough to open and close due to the bent frame of the body.

At NO TIME did he call the center or any supervisor to report the crash. He waited until he returned to the building in the PM to tell anyone in the center. The center manager listened to his story (which didnt check out when compared to the damage) and yet THE COMPANY HAS NOT FIRED THIS DRIVER for a failure to report.

At this point, it looks like the MOST he will get is a warning letter and a bunch of ridiculous rides.

The company prefers "PRODUCTION" over safety despite being WARNED about this drivers wreckless behavior on the road. I have pictures of the pkg car if anyone doesnt believe the details. All this talk about safety, and this "runner" hits this tree branch so hard he TOTALED the pkg car.

In your case, the company fired you for alledgedly "scratching" a bumper, and in our case, this A-hole totals his pkg car and they give him a break.

When this "runner" gets back onto the road, he will continue to drive like a "maniac" and next time, he will kill someone and that will rest upon the shoulders of the center manager and division manager who did not take the appropriate action for this accident and the failure to report.

Peace

TOS
thats because he hit a tree , i know a guy who flipped a truck and nothing happen

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
thats because he hit a tree , i know a guy who flipped a truck and nothing happen

Psst.. wrong side of the road + didnt report + taped windows onto truck+ drove unsafe vehicle for over 3 hours + left scene of an accident + didnt note witnesses or other accident info + reported to company at 6pm instead of 230Pm when it happened.

Sound like a mulligan to you?

Peace

TOS

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This just recently happened in our area (not my center). Center manager is leaving for the day when he looks over and sees a package car pulling in. This package car has a limb stuck through the roof of it. center manager goes over and says WTH happened ? Package car driver either plays dumb or was truly oblivious to what had happened.

whiskers

Peace

TOS

I would like to see the pics.

rkctkc

center manager just called and told me he wants to offer my job back. Wants me to come in the morning for a meeting.