just got fired

raceanoncr

I filed on the unjust termination already, now can I file on the suspension that I already served?

Let ME back up here just a bit. You said earlier that telematics said you weren't even there, right? Did I miss something? Now, you're saying there's evidence of damage and you said you DELIVERED to their house. Am I wrong? So you WERE there? Or were not? I guess I need to go back to OP.

Second, you can file on anything you think is a violation. You think you've been wronged due to a contract violation, then file. BUT, if YOU file on a contract violation, YOU are given the burden of proof. If you file on a COMPANY violation as "unjust termination", the burden of proof is on the COMPANY.

You feel the termination is bogus, "unjust", then, by all means file. You feel the SUSPENSION is bogus, "unjust", then, by all means file. But make them prove it.

rkctkc

Yes I delivered there a little after 10pm. The witness said I hit their car, backed up and drove off. Telematics shows no backs

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When you are cleared of the accident sue the "witness" and the home owner for back pay, benefits, and intentional infliction of emotional duress.
"It was dark and I couldn't see that well...we assumed.."
Yep I can already see how that would go. Waste of time and $, most likely.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Had the meeting. They say there is evidence that there us damage done to the car by a brown vehicle, but there is absolutely no evidence that I did it other than I delivered to their house., so they offered the termination dropped down to a time served suspension. Which is bogus. Steward says its not really worth persuing it any farther over 3 days of backpay. Steward says that it could take 2-3 months or longer to get the case settled, so if I don't have the cash stacked up then I should just take the offer and just take the last 3 days as a loss. I just went through a divorce and am pretty broke right now so I have to go to work. Its pretty crappy that they know I didn't do it now, but still gonna stick with a discipline. I filed on the unjust termination already, now can I file on the suspension that I already served?

Take the suspension and keep your mouth shut.
Take the 3 lost days as a reminder that you have a target on your back and just go back to work.
If you didn't do anything wrong, the termination letter in your file will go away in 18 months.

If you are 110% sure you didn't do anything wrong, go after the customer, not UPS
Talk to your union business agent or lawyer about filing a lawsuit against them.
Keep all your telematics reports and use them as evidence.

BUT AFTER IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE, IS 3 DAYS OFF REALLY WORTH THE HASSLE

I had a 2 week suspension 2 years ago. Just put the browns on and go back to work.
Just not worth the hassle !!

twoweeled

center manager says he was just doing what he was told. He said he knew he didn't have enough evidence and he knows I'm gonna get my job back. He said he had to do something within the 10 day period and try to scramble up all of the evidence afterwards. If they wanna pay me to take some time off, then so be it.

Don't bet your life on the back pay. If they find out QUICK that you had nothing to do with it (and that YOU can show you had nothing to do with it). They will bring you back, ASAP, to avoid the possible back pay. If this drags for 3 weeks or more, they will find another charge or accusation of some sort to bargain a return to work WITHOUT back pay. Let me know what happens! Good luck. It also depends if your on the "we like him list", or not.

twoweeled

Today is the 18th, so the customer waited 12 days to report this? Something sounds awful fishy here. I know first hand that telematics shows backing with a red line. Forward, blue line. So, either telematics was down at the time in question which is highly unlikely or your center manager is lying. Simple as that.

Interesting! You had better ask for the print out (IN WRITING), before they say it's gone, erased, or going to internet heaven. Request in writing QUICK! If they waited that long, I promise you - you are not getting the whole story and truth here.

twoweeled

​So you make about (95k per year) with (7 weeks of vacation) and a (healthy defined pension) and (paid for health insurance) and a (very low cost 401k) AND IT IS STILL VERY HARD TO GET FIRED PERMANENTLY FROM UPS UNLESS YOU REALLY DESERVE IT.

UNION DUES ARENT ****$$(UNION DUES=1 TAKE HOME PAYCHECK PER YEAR:wink2: )WHEN YOU ADD UP THE BENEFITS OF BEING A TEAMSTER AT UPS YOU SOUND LIKE A FOOL. NO OFFENSE. I understand the frustration.

​He will get his job back. Its the UPS management culture and its nothing new. It actually used to be worse.

Sorry man. This had to be said. Consider it a corporate capitalism America 2013 reality check. We are ****ing blessed to be Teamsters at UPS.

We were at one time blessed to be teamsters. I think that time is passed, or passing. The 7 weeks of vacation has been that way for how long? do you think it will ever go up to 8? So where is the progress? Hard to get fired permanently? Not that difficult in my opinion. Innocent till proven guilty really is absent in so many cases. Everything get titled under dishonesty now. My union dues doubled sometime ago, and representation is a fraction of what it was! Fuzzy math? Sure, there are some small 2%-3% raises, but the production gets raised at least that, with more work getting done in the same allotted time. So who is really getting the raise here?
Sure, he will get his job back, but should he really have ever been fired to gegin with? Seems as time goes on, many of us rationalize things away in our own minds. maybe making us feel better about getting the short end.
Things were worse before you say? Maybe 50 years ago (don't know,I wasn't here). Things were definitely better 25-30 year ago. Remember when a BS would walk into the building and see violations as he walked in? He'd call management on it right there and then! Management dreaded Union Reps coming into the building. Dreaded it! Now, it's the union rep who dreads coming into the building. Everything now, seems to be accepted wtih "they said it won't happen again". "Well, it's their company - they can do what they want". The fight is gone in my opinion. No, the driver you respond too, doesn't sound like a fool. Valid concerns. That's the reality or 2013.

twoweeled

Had the meeting. They say there is evidence that there us damage done to the car by a brown vehicle, but there is absolutely no evidence that I did it other than I delivered to their house., so they offered the termination dropped down to a time served suspension. Which is bogus. Steward says its not really worth persuing it any farther over 3 days of backpay. Steward says that it could take 2-3 months or longer to get the case settled, so if I don't have the cash stacked up then I should just take the offer and just take the last 3 days as a loss. I just went through a divorce and am pretty broke right now so I have to go to work. Its pretty crappy that they know I didn't do it now, but still gonna stick with a discipline. I filed on the unjust termination already, now can I file on the suspension that I already served?

I wish I had read all the post first. But this is EXACTLY AS I PREDICTED. This is what they do. They don't pay back pay, and worse, the union doesn't want to pursue it either!!! My first response in on page 7 I think. But this is what they do. They know they're wrong, the union knows they'er wrong, but let's just call it a wash. :angry-very2:

Believe it or not, The International doesn't always agree with the way the local handles things. If you feel like the local is cutting you short - contact the International, and get their opinion. DO IT!

I wish I had read all the post first. But this is EXACTLY AS I PREDICTED. This is what they do. They don't pay back pay, and worse, the union doesn't want to pursue it either!!! My first response in on page 7 I think. But this is what they do. They know they're wrong, the union knows they'er wrong, but let's just call it a wash. :angry-very2:

Believe it or not, The International doesn't always agree with the way the local handles things. If you feel like the local is cutting you short - contact the International, and get their opinion. DO IT!
are you talking about the same international, thats ramming this contract up our rear end?? I can throw my package further, than trusting those guys!

purplesky

We were at one time blessed to be teamsters. I think that time is passed, or passing. The 7 weeks of vacation has been that way for how long? do you think it will ever go up to 8? So where is the progress? Hard to get fired permanently? Not that difficult in my opinion. Innocent till proven guilty really is absent in so many cases. Everything get titled under dishonesty now. My union dues doubled sometime ago, and representation is a fraction of what it was! Fuzzy math? Sure, there are some small 2%-3% raises, but the production gets raised at least that, with more work getting done in the same allotted time. So who is really getting the raise here?
Sure, he will get his job back, but should he really have ever been fired to gegin with? Seems as time goes on, many of us rationalize things away in our own minds. maybe making us feel better about getting the short end.
Things were worse before you say? Maybe 50 years ago (don't know,I wasn't here). Things were definitely better 25-30 year ago. Remember when a BS would walk into the building and see violations as he walked in? He'd call management on it right there and then! Management dreaded Union Reps coming into the building. Dreaded it! Now, it's the union rep who dreads coming into the building. Everything now, seems to be accepted wtih "they said it won't happen again". "Well, it's their company - they can do what they want". The fight is gone in my opinion. No, the driver you respond too, doesn't sound like a fool. Valid concerns. That's the reality or 2013.

Dude in this economy and current corporate climate THIS IS PROGRESS. Most of the Teamsters in my large hub voted for Twitt Robme and the political party that is trying to break unions. WTF!:angry-very2:

You do realize that UNIONS ARE IN A FIGHT TO SURVIVE IN THIS COUNTRY. So for me any gains are a blessing in 2013.

I am just trying to look at the positives of working at UPS and without the Teamsters we would be taking pay cuts like most Americans have had to do.

didyousheetit

Don't bet your life on the back pay. If they find out QUICK that you had nothing to do with it (and that YOU can show you had nothing to do with it). They will bring you back, ASAP, to avoid the possible back pay. If this drags for 3 weeks or more, they will find another charge or accusation of some sort to bargain a return to work WITHOUT back pay. Let me know what happens! Good luck. It also depends if your on the "we like him list", or not.
yes we had a driver years ago get fired for supposedly pushing a part time sup. He said he didn't do it that the pt sup actually hit him. It was he said he said. they came back and reduced it to a three day suspension if he would just apologize for the incident he said hell no he didn't do it. went to local level hearing same thing apologize and only three day suspension. once again hell no I didn't do it. went to full panel. fired union sided with company. Now I say this as a former steward if you can resolve something without losing your job it's a plus because you don't know what may happen at full panel.

Ouch

The thing that sucks about that is now there is a 3 day suspension on your record. That gives them a paper trail on you. You mess up and they can go to the next step and say they went thru progressive discipline and you agreed to it. It sucks it just all came down on you at once with your Dad and all. Best of luck.

Had a strange thing happen to me this week .
I was called to a meeting by the mgr with the DM of HR and another hourly as my rep. The DM of Hr told us about a corp concern that a black woman had felt that she was discriminated against . Seems that she shows up at the door of the Customer Counter after closing and was told by employee that she would not be allowed in , yet this same employee let another non-black woman in .
Seeing how I have had issues similar to this complaint , they naturally assumed it was me . And they brought in the DM of HR to drop the hammer on me .
As the DM started to read the letter I asked on what day this happened . And then on what date , the writer of the letter thought it was either on the 9 or 12th of August .
My reply was " I was on vacation " . Seconded by the employee who was standing in as my rep. I turned to my mgr. asking him if he recalled that I had taken all 4 weeks of Aug as vacation time .
Surely they were gunning for me , without first making sure they had all the facts .
Great bunch of people we work for , always siding with some customer rather with a 37yr employee .
A manager in my center was gunning for a driver in my center. He calls him in the office. The manager says I looked up your talimatic reports and they showed you where driving with your bulk head door opened on Friday. The driver was that's crazy. What was the truck #. He later found the manager looked up his truck that was in the shop. I mean the body shop. In Newark NJ. It was driving 3 in the morning. We where on the ground I almost pissed my paints. LOL.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A manager in my center was gunning for a driver in my center. He calls him in the office. The manager says I looked up your talimatic reports and they showed you where driving with your bulk head door opened on Friday. The driver was that's crazy. What was the truck #. He later found the manager looked up his truck that was in the shop. I mean the body shop. In Newark NJ. It was driving 3 in the morning. We where on the ground I almost pissed my paints. LOL.

Same sort of thing happened in my center. The center manager had all the documents all printed out for a termination for driving with the bulkhead door open on a driver, only to discover during the term meeting, he had the wrong truck. Dipchitts with computers.

Eh hoax?

Peace

TOS

Ouch

Hey EASTCOASTNAVY had something similar happen. I was representing a guy in the Dm's office with the center manager and Lp. They said he failed to sheet up 3 misloads. He said no I sheeted everything. The Dm said im going to give you one more opportunity to tell the truth or im going to fire you. I asked for the report and the truck number. I got the truck number and the driver speaks up and says, ive never driven that truck in the 23 years ive been driving. I stood up slammed my hand on the table and said give them your ID. I looked at the Dm and told himto walk him out here is his Id. Turned out a Sup who was running misloads left them on the car. Guess what happened to the sup? Nothing!!!!!!!!!

Hey EASTCOASTNAVY had something similar happen. I was representing a guy in the Dm's office with the center manager and Lp. They said he failed to sheet up 3 misloads. He said no I sheeted everything. The Dm said im going to give you one more opportunity to tell the truth or im going to fire you. I asked for the report and the truck number. I got the truck number and the driver speaks up and says, ive never driven that truck in the 23 years ive been driving. I stood up slammed my hand on the table and said give them your ID. I looked at the Dm and told himto walk him out here is his Id. Turned out a Sup who was running misloads left them on the car. Guess what happened to the sup? Nothing!!!!!!!!!
Brain train. Lol.