Just Got Hired On, Job Security

YankeesFan

I just got hired on for the 5-10pm loader shift, i been trying to get in with you guys since i got laid off after the holidays (i was a jumper) so im pretty excited to be working. Just had a question I wanted to know if its a secure job or does UPS lay off employees alot? thanks for the responses in advance.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Being the lowest person in seniority, if ANYONE gets laid off, it's gunna be you. With that being said, pt turnover for the lower guys is pretty high. Besides, UPS doesn't make a habit of hiring more people unless they REALLY need them.

Nimnim

The Nim
At my hub on my shift layoffs are not frequent, there's usually enough people that want to go home that it's not an issue. Couple weeks ago on Good Friday they expected a very low volume so they layed off the newhires who hadn't reached seniority yet for the night, but other than that I can't think of anything.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your shift is 5-10 pm but keep in mind that you are only guaranteed 3.5 hours. Layoffs will vary from hub to hub depending upon volume and, as stated above, are based on seniority.

YankeesFan

Your shift is 5-10 pm but keep in mind that you are only guaranteed 3.5 hours. Layoffs will vary from hub to hub depending upon volume and, as stated above, are based on seniority.

i know and i dont mind working less hours a day if the volume is low, but im talking like long term lay offs not just for a day or your shift or wateva.

As long as the economy doesnt crash again in the next six months you should be set as far as not getting laid off. Turn over and the amount of people who want to go home should keep you going until you have enough time in to not worry. What you do need to keep in mind is the use of the safe work methods and finding YOUR own safe pace to work by. When you hurt your self just right it can be forever

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Normal volume fluctuations will at times force the company to cut people on a day to day basis, however I have not ever seen any employee at UPS get laid off for long periods of time in my area. Usually not more than a few days at a time. The turnover rate in the part time ranks is pretty high which leads to usually being understaffed rather that laying people off.

whiskey

I just got hired on for the 5-10pm loader shift, i been trying to get in with you guys since i got laid off after the holidays (i was a jumper) so im pretty excited to be working. Just had a question I wanted to know if its a secure job or does UPS lay off employees alot? thanks for the responses in advance.

I think, in your case, you'll be all set. No worries.
Nice to have you aboard.