Just got Laid off

JonFrum

Think about your statement, read it again. If everybody is working what are you filing about? Should they be calling the boogey man to deliver the packages?
They should have moved part-timers into full-time driving jobs on a 6-to-1 basis.

They should have called back the seasonal help they just laid off.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
To Sleeve:
I kinda' like this Post, especially the part in blue above. I'm a Manager and I think that I am approachable as he has accidently revealed that he is as well. The "people just like you part" is absolutely true. I; like you, have work to do.

UPSSOCKS is very close to being released from Reformation Boot Camp. :peaceful:

I do not see how a coward files a grievance. I do see how a coward violates the contract, lies to new employees (i.e. makes up rules as they go along with no regard for the actual rules), etc.

For ex: just yesterday our P/T and friend/T supervisors were telling new hires that they could send them home, with no notice, unpaid, as long as the new-hire did not touch a package for the day.

Making up rules as they go along rather than deal with the contract that UPS and the Teamsters negotiated - which clearly states that the employee is given at least 1 hour notice they are not needed.

I would always "talk things through" if management had good intentions to begin with. Unfortunately 85% of supervisors, PT or FT, do not have good intentions when the cards are dealt.

P.S. new avatar for our friend UPSSOCKS. :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Preload is smart. Make sure you watch and see if they try to use air drivers and such to do EAM's, shuttling, etc etc.

I don't think the OP can bump an air driver to deliver EAMs or other NDA but he should be used to shuttle ground.

If enough people call in and you drive, you will hit Overtime EARLY in the day.

He should know the day before whether he will be needed to drive and, if so, would not work the preload. If there are LIBs or bulk that could not be dispatched he may be asked to deliver those but it is unlikely that he would work the preload and then deliver a full area on the same day.

I got a driver who got laid off and is working one part time shift and collecting partial unemployement for the shortage.

This may vary from state to state so the OP should check with his local Unemployment Division.

I am surprised that he is not able to work two shifts in order to get his 8 hours which leads me to believe that he is not a FT driver but rather is a casual/cover driver.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Sups are working everywhere. Your petty grievances are a joke. Why don't confront them and ask them to stop? Don't be scared they are people just like you. Or you could just be a coward and file the grievance. It would be too much to ask some college kid why they are working. Make sure you ask because remember they are your boss.

I do ask them to stop. I am always polite and inform them that they should not be working according to the contract. I use words like please and thank you.I always introduce myself(most know who I am) and ask them if they would please get the hub manager on the radio and come to that particular area so I can speak with him about the infraction. I do this on my own time after I punch out of my area.
The coward part comes in on the part of management.When they see me walking the hub they get on the radio and tell the sups to stop working. Pretty sneaky and cowardly I think.
I actually had a manager say to me "stop harassing my people" to which I responded that I was just informing them as to their responsibilty to the contract.

Preload is smart. Make sure you watch and see if they try to use air drivers and such to do EAM's, shuttling, etc etc.

I don't think the OP can bump an air driver to deliver EAMs or other NDA but he should be used to shuttle ground.

Why would he not be allowed to bump air or EAM drivers?

If enough people call in and you drive, you will hit Overtime EARLY in the day.

He should know the day before whether he will be needed to drive and, if so, would not work the preload. If there are LIBs or bulk that could not be dispatched he may be asked to deliver those but it is unlikely that he would work the preload and then deliver a full area on the same day.
They won't know the day before how many will call in. We regularly have people work the preload and then deliver a full route, they've been doing it for years.

I got a driver who got laid off and is working one part time shift and collecting partial unemployement for the shortage.

This may vary from state to state so the OP should check with his local Unemployment Division.

I am surprised that he is not able to work two shifts in order to get his 8 hours which leads me to believe that he is not a FT driver but rather is a casual/cover driver.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We had 4 drivers laid off friday. I clocked out at 1930!! And I was not the last one out!! Next week supposed to be up to 13 laid off, I will probably work until 2030!!

UPSGUY72

I'm a full time cover driver. Cover drivers differ building to building however I'm a full time driver just with no route of my own. I can't bump both preload and local sort becasue I have't completed my progression yet. If I completed my progression I would be entitled to my normal 8 hrs guarateee.

I'm a full time cover driver. Cover drivers differ building to building however I'm a full time driver just with no route of my own. I can't bump both preload and local sort becasue I have't completed my progression yet. If I completed my progression I would be entitled to my normal 8 hrs guarateee.

I am considered a full time cover driver, but have seniority over many drivers with routes. Why does it matter if you have an assigned route or not?

bumped

You will be paid at part time rate for the hours worked plus any raises the part timers would have gotten when you went full time. The kick in the butt is you don't get OT over 5 hour. You get it if you work over 8, but get paid as a part timer.

UPSGUY72

You will be paid at part time rate for the hours worked plus any raises the part timers would have gotten when you went full time. The kick in the butt is you don't get OT over 5 hour. You get it if you work over 8, but get paid as a part timer.

Ya that's it but I also get to collect. Here in MA you can make up to 1/3 of your unemployment with out effecting it anything over they just take away from your unemployment.

UPSGUY72

I am considered a full time cover driver, but have seniority over many drivers with routes. Why does it matter if you have an assigned route or not?

It doesn't in my center. I believe it's different other or should I say people have said it is different in their center.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet

If you have that much seniority, why can't you bid on a route? Cover driving may be less boring, but a route lets you build up real area knowledge and get to know the customers.

And aren't layoffs strictly by seniority? I can't imagine the contract makes allowances for a less senior driver to work when a more senior driver is laid off, bid route or no bid route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you have that much seniority, why can't you bid on a route? Cover driving may be less boring, but a route lets you build up real area knowledge and get to know the customers.

And aren't layoffs strictly by seniority? I can't imagine the contract makes allowances for a less senior driver to work when a more senior driver is laid off, bid route or no bid route.

Full time cover driver is a bid position. Trplnkl was a FT cover driver if I recall correctly. They are guaranteed to work every day but may not know what route they are on until they walk in the door.

Overpaid Union Thug

Full time cover driver is a bid position. Trplnkl was a FT cover driver if I recall correctly. They are guaranteed to work every day but may not know what route they are on until they walk in the door.

YEP! And sometimes I don't know what route I'm running until right at start time because of certain people that show up for work at that time. Its even better when someone that has a later start time due to dropping their kids off at school shows up and wants to bump me off a route when I've already pulled the truck and coupled it to a TP-50. By then other routes that I would have chosen are gone and I get stuck with the route that the guy that bumped me was supposed to be on.

I have only been driving 15 years. Had 2 routes back in 2004. Have only been in my current building for 4 years, but we only have about 50 routes.
I NEED A CHALLENGE.

UPSGUY72

In my building there are around 31 routes give or take each day and we have 9 cover drivers. Sometimes I don't find out what route I have till after the PCM.

I got a feeling that after the BIDs in Feb I will be at another center 1hr aways where they have over 120 routes. I'll be in Big Babooba's territory.