Just HOW long can we drive- all over again!

outta hours

Rod, all due respect to you brother, but he is refering to actuall accumulated "drive time", and not an actual work day.
It really is impossible for a package driver to accumulate 11 solid hours of drive time. The rule is designed to keep any one driver from accumulating too many hours per day behind the wheel.
Hope this helps.
~chev

Thanks Chev for "getting it" that is exactly what I was referring to. End of discussion.

chev

Nightcrawler
While I'm not going to agree or disagree with what has already been said, I do have one question.
What is the big difference in reference to safety between being behind the wheel for 11 straight hours and working delivery for 11 straight hours? Seems to me fatigue becomes a factor regardless.

Heck, if you want my opinion, I don't think anyone doing either job should be working over 9 hours. If you enjoy working over that, maybe you should work in a sweatshop in China. The pay isn't great...but the hours will be satisfying!
Absolutely. That is why they set the limit to 11 hours. Just think what it used to be like before DOT restrictions. OTR (over the road) drivers were driving 18hrs straight to maximize their profits. Company drivers were pushed to drive longer than was safe. The restriction put in place make the road a safer place to be. :peaceful:

outta hours

Your post about it being "impossible for a "package car driver" to drive (work) an 11 hour shift is total B.S. You are the one that is confused my friend.

Big difference between (driving) drive time (to which I commented on) and (working) an 11 hr. shift ( to which you thought) I commented on. No need to apologize to me for the crass remarks you made to me in your sate of (confusion).

It's all good as long as the original poster received the accurate information he asked for in his post. The thread has deteriorated into a negative one because of your insistence on being correct (which you were not) and your personal attack on me for being correct (which I was).

I usually do not even respond to such foolish and uninformed jabs, such as the ones you directed to me. However this time your arrogant and vulgar attempt at retaliation towards my responses inspired me to further pursue this discussion. I now see the error of my ways, in that no matter how concise and accurate my answers may have been some people (you) still can't follow the logic. So I apologize to all for dragging down this thread with the back and forth rhetoric between you and me.

rod

Retired 22 years
Big difference between (driving) drive time (to which I commented on) and (working) an 11 hr. shift ( to which you thought) I commented on. No need to apologize to me for the crass remarks you made to me in your sate of (confusion).

It's all good as long as the original poster received the accurate information he asked for in his post. The thread has deteriorated into a negative one because of your insistence on being correct (which you were not) and your personal attack on me for being correct (which I was).

I usually do not even respond to such foolish and uninformed jabs, such as the ones you directed to me. However this time your arrogant and vulgar attempt at retaliation towards my responses inspired me to further pursue this discussion. I now see the error of my ways, in that no matter how concise and accurate my answers may have been some people (you) still can't follow the logic. So I apologize to all for dragging down this thread with the back and forth rhetoric between you and me.

Talk about arrogant- have you checked a mirror lately? Of coarse, while it wouldn't be impossible for a delivery driver to do NOTHING but drive for 11 hours, at the end of the day he wouldn't have accomplished anything. Kind of like continuing this argument.

Last edited:
Unless I am mistaken the OP of this tread is a package car driver and his first post is concerning the amount of time PC drivers are allowed to work. This has very little to do with the actual drive time.
Outta Hours is referring to feeder time on the job and actual drive time. Apples and Oranges

The peak season before I started with UPS (23 years ago), there were (reportedly) two CMs demoted because they had drivers go over 60 hours in a 7 day period. When I started working as a clerk one of my responsibilities was to keep up with delivery drivers hours to ensure they did not go over 60 hours. This included all time on the clock, driving, delivering, loading/unloading.

rod

Retired 22 years
Unless I am mistaken the OP of this tread is a package car driver and his first post is concerning the amount of time PC drivers are allowed to work. This has very little to do with the actual drive time.
Outta Hours is referring to feeder time on the job and actual drive time. Apples and Oranges

The peak season before I started with UPS (23 years ago), there were (reportedly) two CMs demoted because they had drivers go over 60 hours in a 7 day period. When I started working as a clerk one of my responsibilities was to keep up with delivery drivers hours to ensure they did not go over 60 hours. This included all time on the clock, driving, delivering, loading/unloading.

Watch out- you are opening yourself up to being called arrogant for stating your opinion:peaceful:

Watch out- you are opening yourself up to being called arrogant for stating your opinion:peaceful:
HAH! I've been called much worse than that on this forum.
Just for the record, I agree with you Rod. and...and... (putting on my bullet proof vest) a feeder driver calling me arrogant is along the same lines as a manager lecturing me on integrity.

outta hours

Talk about arrogant- have you checked a mirror lately? Of coarse, while it wouldn't be impossible for a delivery driver to do NOTHING but drive for 11 hours, at the end of the day he wouldn't have accomplished anything. Kind of like continuing this argument.

I have not checked a mirror, but you can check my previous posts to see if you can find the type of arrogance(not opinionated,big difference) and combative nature you have displayed here. I agree it's best to let this discussion end. No hard feelings on my part. Looks like a simple error in communication. Heck as UPS"ers we should be used to that. Best wishes to you.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have not checked a mirror, but you can check my previous posts to see if you can find the type of arrogance you have displayed here. I agree it's best to let this discussion end. No hard feelings on my part. Looks like a simple error in communication. Heck as UPS"ers we should be used to that. Best wishes to you.

Concider the hatchet burried-- Dang -I never thought I would live to see the day I sided with one of them Texans like trpinkl:peaceful:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Boy did I open a can of worms!!!! I still believe you cant go over 60 hrs for the week!!! I s/with plenty of local 25 drivers who all agree!!!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I got a warning letter for going over 11 hrs(by 5 mins). Works out great for me. Only need to work 55 hrs a week. I had 165 stops today. A manager came and took 34 stops from me and delivered and covered my last pkup. Too bad i couldn't wait to sheet them all as missed.

brownrodster

OTR (over the road) drivers were driving 18hrs straight to maximize their profits.

Way back when I was young and dumb and just got a CDL and never bothered to learn any of the DOT rules I put in numerous days that long. My longest day as a driver was 21 hours. I never kept a log book.

I got a warning letter for going over 11 hrs(by 5 mins). Works out great for me. Only need to work 55 hrs a week. I had 165 stops today. A manager came and took 34 stops from me and delivered and covered my last pkup. Too bad i couldn't wait to sheet them all as missed.

That's ridiculous. I worked 11:45 today and saw 3 drivers come in as I was leaving. First day of peak for us. Everyone on road and out late. Fortunately we don't have any layoffs in our center yet.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Looks like every center/region has their own rules on hours.

Brownrodster
That's ridiculous. I worked 11:45 today and saw 3 drivers come in as I was leaving. First day of peak for us. Everyone on road and out late. Fortunately we don't have any layoffs in our center yet.