Just needed some input Thanks

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If you were 23 I would say stick with UPS but 33 and part time with this economy and the waiting list ,, I would have to say go with Kellogs.they won;t beat the snot out of you for the next 30 yrs!!

chev

Nightcrawler
Same thoughts here, if you don't have to choose between the two, don't.

You made two good points, chev. First you told rainmaker099 to stick with Kellogg, then you told that story about sticking it out at UPS. Both are very good points, but still leave rainmaker099 with a decision to make.

I say to line them up, side by side, like upstate said. Pick the one that works for you in the long run, but don't choose and leave until it becomes absolutely necessary.

I was 30 when I started at UPS. I'm 43 now and feel fine. Started driving almost 3 years to the day after I got hired and the wait was well worth it all. While I was part time I had various full time jobs. Worked as a plumbers helper, delivered auto parts, drove a school bus, etc..., and could have kept any of those jobs. I like the choice I made, as it fits who I am. Only you can decide what's best for you. Choose wisely!

You are right. It is a decision only you can make. I did the same. I even worked graveyard shift grocery for a year to hold out after I told McD's to kiss my golden arches. Of course I was only 22, but even at 22 I was eager to get my "career" started. It was very hard for me to decide. I came very close to packing it all in and paying to get my cdl from a driver training school. I'm so glad I didn't go in the hole 6k for that.

I was 30 when I started at UPS. I'm 43 now and feel fine. Started driving almost 3 years to the day after I got hired and the wait was well worth it all. While I was part time I had various full time jobs. Worked as a plumbers helper, delivered auto parts, drove a school bus, etc..., and could have kept any of those jobs. I like the choice I made, as it fits who I am. Only you can decide what's best for you. Choose wisely!
Steve, please don't take this as criticism, cuz it ain't.
I was 38 when I started driving, at 43 I felt fine, at 49 I felt fine except for that damaged sciatic nerve that kept me home for 5 1/2 months (caused by the wonderful seats in P5s and the quality roads I had to drive), at 56 I felt fine except for the sciatica and the rotator cuff that had to be repaired because my cat like reflexes stopped a falling box from a shelf. Today at 58 I fell fine except for the sciatica, the tight shoulder that never healed fully, the carpal tunnel in my left wrist, the back aches and sore muscles, and the hearing loss due to almost 20 years driving very loud trucks, and the lack of rest from working 10-11 hours a day doing very physical work. The point I am making is that working at UPS can wear you out to the point there is no return to full "feeling fine" status. The older you get the longer it take to recover from everything. They say , "you are as young as you feel", I reckon I'm closing in on 85 real fast.

Sorry for the rant like post, (I wasn't really ranting) and for the hi-jack.

chev

Nightcrawler
I was 38 when I started driving, at 43 I felt fine, at 49 I felt fine except for that damaged sciatic nerve that kept me home for 5 1/2 months (caused by the wonderful seats in P5s and the quality roads I had to drive), at 56 I felt fine except for the sciatica and the rotator cuff that had to be repaired because my cat like reflexes stopped a falling box from a shelf. Today at 58 I fell fine except for the sciatica, the tight shoulder that never healed fully, the carpal tunnel in my left wrist, the back aches and sore muscles, and the hearing loss due to almost 20 years driving very loud trucks, and the lack of rest from working 10-11 hours a day doing very physical work. The point I am making is that working at UPS can wear you out to the point there is no return to full "feeling fine" status. The older you get the longer it take to recover from everything. They say , "you are as young as you feel", I reckon I'm closing in on 85 real fast.

All good points. That's why I got out of package to be a "lazy" feeder driver. :happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You are right. It is a decision only you can make. I did the same. I even worked graveyard shift grocery for a year to hold out after I told McD's to kiss my golden arches. Of course I was only 22, but even at 22 I was eager to get my "career" started. It was very hard for me to decide. I came very close to packing it all in and paying to get my cdl from a driver training school. I'm so glad I didn't go in the hole 6k for that.

You cracked me up, chev.:rofl:

Point taken, trpl, don't see it as a hi-jack though, this guy needs to see how life here really goes.

You cracked me up, chev.:rofl:

Point taken, trpl, don't see it as a hi-jack though, this guy needs to see how life here really goes.
I see more drivers every year that are getting hurt and it isn't always because they are careless or not following proper methods. It is a fact that when your body is exhausted the chances of normal routine can still injure you. Our bodies can only take so much physical stress, making "the straw that broke the camel's back" a reality.
Steve, there is no doubt in my mind that you are in much better physical condition and probably much stronger than I was even at 38, but the law of gravity still applies. Be careful out there.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Not to mention the Bitter, Snow Dusted, 46 degree winters!