Just quit glad I did.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
As I said before processing fees, paperwork, time and effort to get just one person hired in this country is about 1600-1700 dollars a person. Background check is one of the most expensive fees out there.

This FT soup probably has no business leading anyone or anything, which makes him/ her the best choice in the matter.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
There seems to be two main topics he is either a quitter or a person of strong will.
I have been both on this job.
Every shift years ago I convinced myself that this was my last.
Until I found a job nobody else wanted, I became the first air exceptions driver.
They had almost no notion of how to use me nor how to submit hours worked.
It was a slow learning curve, but it got me away from direct supervision .
I was just given a few inbound airs and told to go do them.
Some days the work was little , maybe a couple of line flights { a air that missed our plane and was put on another carriers plane which I picked up at the airport and delivered it }.
Other times I could be gone all day, most mileage in a single day...284, just to get there and find out they were closed at 3 pm on a friday .
Since I was using my own vehicle and had an expense account , I exactly made money on that trip.

T.T. Bags

How did UPS waste money in this guy? Seems to me they got someone who did their job and someone else's, continuously was working more than he should have been doing alone, and obviously one of the better loaders around. Seems to me this guy wasted his time at UPS, because as most of you know, they take someone's potential to do great things, their pride, and desire to push themselves to the point of crushing them and abusing them till they did what this guy did. Sounds to me UPS lost someone who cared, maybe they'll get someone who doesn't next time. /shrug

Yeah, that's the main problem I have with management's "drive" and "work ethic"... they'll take a guy who's new, or who they can tell is trying (at least a little), and will push and push to get more out of him while they leave the slacker completely alone. It's the same reason that you can have a 5 minute argument with a sup about getting a day off, but the other guy that no-call-no-showed on the same day didn't even hear about it. Management isn't consistent with correction/discipline, and that quickly turns into harassment because people notice that they're being treated differently.

It sounds to me like this guy figured out that UPS wasn't worth his time pretty quickly (especially for what he was getting paid). Good luck in school.

P

pickup

Bye----don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

I think he got out of there so fast, that by the time he made it to the parking lot, that door he walked out of was still swinging away from his ass , not towards it.

HULKAMANIA

Think of the interview. Think of all the employment paperwork. Think of the tour. Some HR person got paid a bunch of money to lose a guy in 3 weeks.

All that stuff wouldnt be going on regardless? So the HR person is only being paid when they hire someone? Im sorry man but UPS knows and to me it seems as if they prefer a high rate of turnover. If they didnt they would treat their employees with alot more respect than what they do.

over9five

Staff member
All that stuff wouldnt be going on regardless? So the HR person is only being paid when they hire someone? Im sorry man but UPS knows and to me it seems as if they prefer a high rate of turnover. If they didnt they would treat their employees with alot more respect than what they do.

Can't disagree with that.

L

Loufan

When i used to load i would sometimes work with new hires, i would always tell them if you make it through the first month you'll be good to go. The first month is hard physically and mentally (learning what loads certain trucks take) Sounds like this poor guy couldn't handle the pressure.. oh well we don't need anyone cussing out people at work. Good luck.

L

Loufan

Explain to me how UPS lost any money on this guy? They got cheap labor, and didnt have to pay him any type of beneifts or insurance. There is no such thing as training when it comes to being a loader. Unless you call sitting infront of a tv and watching 15 minutes of videos that tell you how to stretch than man UPS really lost their rear end on this guy.

I was told it costs thousands to train people, but i never heard the reasoning behind it. My first week i sat and watched videos for about 15 hours and received a 100 something dollar paycheck. Maybe it's a work insurance thing?

By the way there's more training involved with loading than anything else involved, not thousands of dollars worth but it's definitely a lot more than unload & small sort.

HULKAMANIA

Well Im not saying its free for the company to hire anybody, but UPS is the one that tries so hard to get you hired and then once you are hired its like OH we gotta find a way to make them quit or fire them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well Im not saying its free for the company to hire anybody, but UPS is the one that tries so hard to get you hired and then once you are hired its like OH we gotta find a way to make them quit or fire them.

I think you are making a mistake in thinking of UPS as a person and then equating the different management people involved as all one person - UPS.
Everyone is an individual and have different motivations and different ways of doing the same job.

S

speeddemon

Its called motivation *. Have fun at your career at Burger King.

Last edited by over9five; Today at 06:51 AM. Reason: Personal attack

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/just-quit-glad-i-did-344907/index3.html#ixzz1zgtJ0KHh+

Look, the government has taken over my ability to speak whats on my mind on this forum. This is hilarious. Over9five, I expect you to edit everyones post that resembles mine. You know you wont. Your just as bad as management with your favorites.

S

speeddemon

Yup. I wonder if the training sucks, maybe they don't emphasize how difficult the job is.
Maybe noobs should be coddled a little longer, this guy was only here three weeks.
Like you say, it's a big waste of money when we lose them so fast.

You shouldnt call people noobs.Your attacking them.

jaker

trolling
I will say this we have no idea of this guys work ethics or drive , we all know part timers that made it and a bunch who quit some after hours or after months

For most people who have had jobs and go to ups it's a whole different beast this place will make you second think yourself everyday but we all know if you can take it and make it the job will pay off

You don't meet to many people ever say I am glad I quit that place

I see guys who I part time with and they are working some crappy job and here I am in my browns ( I just bump into a guy that work right next to me on my belt he was at radio shack working and I was there buying )

So in short it is a ungrateful job , hard butt bosses but if you can hold out it will pay off

jaker

trolling
I started at UPS 3 weeks ago and really was excited. I really thought I was gonna enjoy my job but my experience was way different. My FT Sup did every thing he could to make me want to quit. He would tell me to help this guy or help this guy and then when I got back to my truck it was backed up. Then a couple of minutes later he would say hey why your truck backed up. At one point he told me I was wasting his hours and he could get some else here. This Monday we had several people not show up so I worked on a high volume truck and finished it and then was told to help the guy next to me. After that I was told to go work my old truck keep in mind it had no one on it all night. About 10 mins in my old truck my FT Sup said I was told your pace was slow. So I said **** you and left. Felt good to let it out.

Its all good though gonna go back to construction till I finish tech school. Good luck to you guys that are just starting out and hopefully your experience will be better than mine.
Good luck on your tech job , best buy just laid off hundreds of tech

Notcool

I have been loading for over 6 years and feel like walking out every night one of these nights I believe I will.
I applaud you! No one wants to be a pt here it is crappy pay and terrible work environment and the heat just tips it over the edge.