Just Quit UPS

rubbadub

Preloader
Well, today I just quit my Preloader job at UPS, because nobody would take the time to train or help me with my gigantic load. From the start, I have been assigned 4 cars every day. I was never shown any belt-to-car methods, and the supervisors did nothing to help. The only thing I was told, was that the truck number is on the box, and the shelf number is on the box. Everything else was up to me to make it work somehow. This location is a total wreck, and I now see why they can't keep employees. I get stuck chasing down packages, as boxes pile up outside, and inside of my trucks. Still, there is no supervisor or trainer to help. I was only working for 3 weeks and one day, and the stress and frustration of the job was too much to handle. Supervisors would get frustrated and walk away, without showing me any ways of making the job a little easier. I was really looking forward to working for UPS, and it seemed like a great job. I'm upset that nobody could take the time to train or help me.
I really wish this could have worked, and I'm really let-down by the whole experience.

klein

Für Meno :)
If you lived here in my city, 3 weeks would be high seniority as a pre loader !
I don't blame you, because it sounds just like the center I used to work for.

Good luck, and don't worry, much better jobs out there.

Sorry to hear it didnt work out for you,but trust me when I tell you its for the best. 8-9 bucks an hour,3 hours a day,5 days a week after taxes is like 90 bucks. Between the harassment,lack of training and unrealistic expectations this company has,you have made a wise decision my friend.You got out before you invested too much time,especially if you had no intention of making this a full time job. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Go ahead and write a letter or email about this. A letter would be better, direct it to the building and have it go to HR or the building manager. They should know, perhaps it might work out for you, and get the job back with more to gain from it.

Because knowing is half the battle. *GI Joe*

menotyou

bella amicizia
No training time is allowed to achieve a production number. It's a damn shame what this company has done to my former shift. I loved my preload. 4 trucks is a vacation at my center. It has been documented by the stewards that they had 2 kids loading 13 trucks between them. B.S.!!!!

BLACKBALLED

Writing Letters to HR and such will do no good, Hr does not really care, they will tell you they do but if you have no concrete evidence to what you are complaining about, they will brush you off, as far as giving it 3 weeks, you obviously did not want to work for UPS as bad as you say, you should have kept working and continued to give it your best, I can guarantee it would have worked out for you, most newcomers who dont last were either not shown the reality of it when they had their training or are just lazy, in my center most that came after training were in class trained only, i feel that you have to be thrown in to the trailers to get a fill of the physical aspect, that is how i was trained, unfortunately now it is videos and no hands on and they send you to what ever center needs help. I blame HR for not weeding out the weak and the centers they go to suffer because they need help and get unsuspecting workers, you cant be weak if you want to work for UPS it is not glamourus but while in school or for extra money and benefits it will hold you down for awhile.

rubbadub

Preloader
One needs to be trained in order to do their job efficiently. They could at least give me some lighter trucks while I'm getting the hang of it. I know there are belt-to-car methods that others have trained with, and my SUP has even told me that the person who was supposed to be training me didn't do a very good job. I don't see how any of this promotes production... And putting me on the 4 mostly-loaded cars is not a smart idea. When it gets to the point of where someone has boxes stacked so high, that you can't maneuver into or around the truck, or even get past the trucks to chase down packages, you know that the person needs some assistance... And having the SUP simply walk away, frustrated, isn't a solution. When the SUP and the manager do nothing to help, and do nothing to make the center more productive, especially with a new employee, there is a problem. I'm not the only one with this problem at my location. I agree with ORLY on this one. I think I will contact HR or the building manager about this one, and voice my concerns, while keeping an open, learning mind. Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your insight.

Leftinbuilding

Tough fact, but this job is not for everyone. Some make it, some don't. Friendly advice.....You are probably young...don't fall into the trap of blaming others when things don't work out. While the actions of others may be a factor, ultimately, success or failure depends on you. These boards are full of people constantly blaming others....be better than that. Good luck to you. And if your willingness to work hard, is as you stated, you will be fine.

rubbadub

Preloader
BLACKBALLED, I appreciate your comment... But I really did look forward to the job at UPS. I have had my experience, and have had some really productive days while under another SUP... But there's another SUP working at the location who is very lazy and easily irritated. This is a problem with the location I'm at. I am a very hard worker, and have held down construction jobs that have been easier on the mind than this one. If under a different SUP, and was given a chance to become accustomed to the habit of shelf numbers, and belt-to-car methods, this job would've been great. I have nothing better to do than work my ass off, and I enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get from it... But, no matter what job we're talking about, an employee needs to get the hang of things, and let things become a second nature to them. Yes, throwing me into the trucks right away IS a good way to get experience, and being with the 4 trucks I was previously on was a great way for me to get experience. I guess you're right~ I could've stuck with it, and continued to let the packages pile up, while I scramble to find my truck #'s on the being concerned about which packages I grab, as long as they were for my trucks... But, I was never taught the methods that make this easier... That is the problem. I know there are different methods for this, regarding which car's packages I grab first... But I was never taught. When things are that backed up at my trucks, I don't know what I'm supposed to do in order to make things easier. I would be down at car #9 (my last), and I'd be pulling packages for #6 (my first), and I'd be taking in down to the #6 car, while other packages are coming by... See, these are the methods I'm talking about, and I just don't know what to do in this case, to make things more productive. Yes, I can find my way around the shelves just fine... But when things get backed up, I just run around, trying to play catch-up, to get my packages off the belt. (note my recent post asking about belt-to-car methods). I was really looking forward to this job, whether you believe so or not, and I'm really upset, and feel like an idiot for not being able to efficiently load my cars, and stay caught up. I've been on this forum for awhile now, and I just can't stop thinking about what an opportunity I had for a great job. I'm sorry if you don't personally agree with my statements, but I do appreciate your insight and comments.

BLACKBALLED

I appreciate your honesty and hopefully i did not come off too Rigid, personally you should have been paired with a veteran who knew this task, i always tried to get the newbies with the best on the sort, even when loading in trailers,I always felt it would be best, all newbies started in the trailers and that would tell me if they would be able to hang and give them a taste of what to expect, it is a shame you have a sup. who has no common sense, you can always try again!

rubbadub

Preloader
Leftinbuilding, Yes, I agree. I'm beating myself up over this, and the simple fact is, I couldn't handle it, the way things were managed. Yes, there are some bad apples in the management at my center, but also, it was me who left the job. I take full responsibility for not being able to handle it... But, I DO feel that if I was given a little more time at my previous cars, I would be able to handle these 4 busiest cars. It's my fault I left, it's my fault I couldn't handle it... But there are more appropriate ways of managing this UPS center where I am, and many other workers can say the same. Luckily, they didn't have to experience the training process the way I did... This SUP I'm talking about just started at this job 2 months ago... Anyway, yes... I'm the one who quit, I'm the one who couldn't handle it.

BLACKBALLED~ That would have helped my so much. Across the belt from me, there is a man who has been preloading for almost 20 years, and I thought, "it would be great to come in on a day off, just to watch and learn from him"... But, before I could ask about doing so, I resigned. My load was so backed-up and I was almost panicking, from such a drastic change in the amount of packages, compared to what I had previously. At first, they had me with some smaller loads, at the very end of the belt (much easier)... And recently, I was thrown into the wolf den, at the beginning of the belt, with [literally] the 4 largest loads at our location. Compared to an average day's load, these loads compared to mid holiday season... Even right now, I wish I could go back and get my job back with the previous cars. Like I said, I'm really depressed about this... And thank you for your comments once again.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Writing Letters to HR and such will do no good, Hr does not really care, they will tell you they do but if you have no concrete evidence to what you are complaining about, they will brush you off, as far as giving it 3 weeks, you obviously did not want to work for UPS as bad as you say, you should have kept working and continued to give it your best, I can guarantee it would have worked out for you, most newcomers who dont last were either not shown the reality of it when they had their training or are just lazy, in my center most that came after training were in class trained only, i feel that you have to be thrown in to the trailers to get a fill of the physical aspect, that is how i was trained, unfortunately now it is videos and no hands on and they send you to what ever center needs help. I blame HR for not weeding out the weak and the centers they go to suffer because they need help and get unsuspecting workers, you cant be weak if you want to work for UPS it is not glamourus but while in school or for extra money and benefits it will hold you down for awhile.

Naw, I've seen letters to HR or BM that made a huge difference. Such as suggesting they wernt trained and obtain a huge amount at the time. You cant be dishing out huge amounts to a newbie, it isnt going to work. They have to be slowly be beought up threw training unitl soups and management sees they are ready for something bigger.

Perhaps at small hubs they can do this. Well with a 70% turn over rate at my hub, they cant. I'm sure they can other places with smaller numbers. As for cars, I've load 10 myself, but that was during UPS days off. The three cars I load now, have made people pass out in the past.

Overall, UPS really cant afford to hire someone at 1600$ per person to have them leave a day in or three weeks in. UPS should be looking to make each person in an investment for the future and their production. Yet, as I've seen, soups, full and part are only there for college or a paycheck. They fail at the task because its all about them, not UPS.

Sure rubbadub, contact them and tell them your story. See if you can get the job back with a little less stress. Contact both of them threw mail, email. Your voicing concern might get you to be trained, rightfully. At UPS, its hard to keep people from leaving. You just might not know what you can do, you just might find a job to have for a life time.

helenofcalifornia

What center or Hub did you work at? It took me about two loooonnnggg weeks to get the hang of preload. Personally, I think that is the hardest job at UPS including driving. Driving is practically a vacation compared to preload.

U

uber

Preload sucks. I've doubled a couple times and done it. Drivers come in and start bitchin' about something that happened the day before that I had nothing to do with. I was kind of thrown in the fire as well. Trying to organize 4 package cars while I was just getting the hang of it, sucked. Not sure I'm ever going to do it again.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well, today I just quit my Preloader job at UPS, because nobody would take the time to train or help me with my gigantic load. From the start, I have been assigned 4 cars every day. I was never shown any belt-to-car methods, and the supervisors did nothing to help. The only thing I was told, was that the truck number is on the box, and the shelf number is on the box. Everything else was up to me to make it work somehow. This location is a total wreck, and I now see why they can't keep employees. I get stuck chasing down packages, as boxes pile up outside, and inside of my trucks. Still, there is no supervisor or trainer to help. I was only working for 3 weeks and one day, and the stress and frustration of the job was too much to handle. Supervisors would get frustrated and walk away, without showing me any ways of making the job a little easier. I was really looking forward to working for UPS, and it seemed like a great job. I'm upset that nobody could take the time to train or help me.
I really wish this could have worked, and I'm really let-down by the whole experience.

This is the new UPS. Im sorry you came into this operation and experienced this mess. Dont feel bad, its happening all across the country. To be successful, you would have had to train yourself and make things work on your own.

The supervisiors are busy loading trucks of their own because some maroon with a pen thought it best to cut back on preloaders leaving them short and forcing the supervisors to do the work for half the wages.

Your story isnt unique, but its sad. I watch good people leave every week. The revolving door is spinning faster and faster every year.

Good luck with your future and dont take it personally.

Peace.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This is the new UPS. Im sorry you came into this operation and experienced this mess. Dont feel bad, its happening all across the country. To be successful, you would have had to train yourself and make things work on your own.

The supervisiors are busy loading trucks of their own because some maroon with a pen thought it best to cut back on preloaders leaving them short and forcing the supervisors to do the work for half the wages.

Your story isnt unique, but its sad. I watch good people leave every week. The revolving door is spinning faster and faster every year.

Good luck with your future and dont take it personally.

Peace.
Employees aren't leaving UPS nowadays, UPS is leaving the employees.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This makes me sad. You sound like the employee UPS used to want. Trust me as I was a preload sup at one time, in the olden days we used to train. When I was PROMOTED, I knew nothing of loading, I was a clerk. But one of the best loaders took me under his wing, and taught me in 3 days. And I taught others in 3 days. To get no training, is just wrong. A person like yourself cannot work in a place where you do not know some of the skills. Yes it is not rocket science, but having someone with you a few days, you would have been fine. To throw you in and expect you to do a job where fellow workers are yelling and so slammed they cant help, drivers are yelling and sups are yelling, it is hard with someone who is motivated and actually cares to stay.
You will do wonderful, somewhere else. Im sorry it was a bad experience. It used to be fun. its no fun to be challenged when you have no training. Good luck in the future. I would write that letter. The hammer is falling, just need a few more nails in the coffin.

Hey Rub, I'm sorry things did not work out for you at UPS, but one day you will be glad it did not work out. You will find another job with far more rewards and perks than UPS could ever offer you. You will be happy, fulfilled, challenged, and rewarded. One day, you will look back on your few days at UPS and shake your head and smile. If you keep applying all the hard work and effort to other jobs that you gave UPS, it will pay off. Please don't be disheartened: keep trying and you'll come out on top.

HULKAMANIA

Sorry to hear about your frustration man. The sad thing is and Im sure NOBODY told you. If you would have stayed with UPS long enough you would have learned that management NEVER informs you of ANYTHING. You have to learn EVERYTHING on your own. The simple truth of it all is you should have just stacked out the back of them trucks everyday. Until the drivers began to complain, and rightly so. Then when someone confronted you about it tell them hey look you didnt train me on how to do it. I did a 4 car pull as well and when some people act like thats so easy its not. I would touch around 1200 packages a day between the 4 cars, so it is extremely busy. I know hindsight is always 20 20 but you would have gotten the hang of it. ANYTHING with this job at first is so overwhelming you just want to give up and quit and say screw it. Anyway best of luck to you!