Just terminated over attendance. GFT process next. Help.

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by djkaos23, Oct 6, 2014.

1. djkaos23

djkaos23 New Member

Today September 6th I received my 3rd letter based on attendance. I'll try to compact this. I have a letter for a accident that's wasn't my fault. Then I received letter 2 for attendance. Then letter 3 for attendance. I have fmla for my son who has a asthma condition that requires him to receive breathing treatments. I used 5 days of that fmla on my son. Not 5 consecutive but 5 total. In February I was injured on the job. My fmla was used to cover me while out on injury but I didn't know this. I was never informed that when you are approved for fmla that it can be used on you. I thought it for was specific for my sons ailment. Well 7 days before I returned to work my fmla was exhausted. During the time I was out I asked also what was my 90th day because I didn't want to be dispatched off my route. Just so happens my return date was the same as my dispatched date. So I return to work with 5days sitting on my attendance. I kept saying what are these days, I was out on injury. Well in July I get sick, see doctor and dr takes me off for 2 days. This is where letter 2 came. This is where I finally got a vague explanation of those days. Now Im Working on eggshells because I now have 2 letters. Which brings me to September. For a few days I was having chest pains. I worked through it in fear of losing my job for being absent. On a Monday morning I approached my manager and ask to be dismissed from my pickups to go see a doctor. I got the we don't have coverage story. I tried to work with them. Before we launch she sends a transfer driver who just came to the station out with me saying if you have time show him your pickups and he can do them. Obviously that didn't happen. So I work the full day. Worked Tuesday and Wednesday in PAIN. Wednesday night i can't take pain anymore. I go to urgent care. First diagnosis was partially collapsed lung. After second opinion by ER doctor it's not that bad. Basically told I have pulled muscle with possible brushing. ER doctor takes me off for 2 days. Notified my manager same night about both diagnosis. Return to work Monday to receive letter 3. Sent home. Off for week. Called in today for termination. Now I have to gft.

Any advice. Help. Sorry for the long read.

2. hypo hanna

hypo hanna Well-Known Member

If you want to keep the job and (i dont know why you would), get a lawyer. Don't rely on the GFT process to work for you and remember, your only advocate in that room will be yourself. The GFT is really the company's way of rubber stamping the decision to terminate. If you intend to fight it past the GFT, don't say much of anything in that meeting. It can be used against you. I hope you have kept good records throughout this ordeal.

3. thebrown1

thebrown1 New Member

The thing that may save you is the fact that the dr took you off work. However if this was all with in 90 days that is way to many days to miss (even if they are all "Real" issues) A company cannot operate this way and I'm sure they feel they cannot depend on you and this will be an on going issue. Hence they just decide to cut their losses and get someone with less problems.

However, that being said. FMLA should cover you in this. If you were on FMLA then those days should not count against you and you should not be penalized since it's against the law I'm sure to take action on those days missed.

4. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

Sounds like you take more days off than you work.

5. hypo hanna

Sometimes a person's circumstances don't match up with a company's immediate needs. FedEx could try looking at that reality and staff enough people to cover his legal right to FMLA. Just about every station in the express division is understaffed. Some are down 25% or more.

6. djkaos23

djkaos23 New Member

I would have 4 sick days total if the 5 days from my fmla running out wasn't counted against me. STFXG I work all the time. I've worked sick before, I've work all holidays that we can work. I always sign up. I've missed plenty of my kids school events by working for this company. I've always been flexible with this company. Just to a little more clear.

I got injured (sprained ligaments in extremities) in February. Was out until May. 1 week before I returned my fmla expired to which I wasn't fully informed. During the injury I tried getting cleared by the doctor early just to return to work and not be taken off my route. Dr told me I'm not ready and I said to my self why should I risk my health, physical state to return to work early. I've done this before and it goes unnoticed, not appreciated. I finally decided to look out for my self. They don't care. Then July I get sick, puking on my way to work, I decided not to go in because I'd be more of a liability than help. That's where I got letter 2. Then just over a week ago I'm having horrible chest pain. I worked 3 days with the pain and even tried to be flexible and just have pups xovered. We can't do it is the answer I got. So I go to doctor after work, get hwcked out. Doctor takes me off, when I told him I don't want to be off. He said if you work you will never get better and could get worse. Again my health and well being comes first and this is what they tell you but the minute you take off you get reprimanded. Letter 3 came and now I'm at termination setting up for gft.

7. djkaos23

djkaos23 New Member

For letter 2 I went to doctor also. Tried to get me do and return but doctor says you need rest in order to recover. Letter 2 and 3 were both circumstances where if I had worked I could have caused more problems rather than be of help to the company. I don't think they see that or even consider that. Couriers are the ones who keep this company afloat. I could have went out there caused a worse injury, accident, lates, customer issue etc if I had chosen to work sick. I had the company's well being in mind as well as mine. It obviously doesn't mean squat to them.

8. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

Just leave!!! But if you really want to keep your job, forget the GFT Process and get a lawyer immediately. Follow their advice (the lawyer), and have no further communication with FedEx except as directed by the attorney.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. djkaos23

djkaos23 New Member

MrFedEx just a lil fyi. The guy from you avatar tossing the computer screen was from my station. I know him. A lil off topic but just had a good lol when I noticed it.

10. Route 66

Route 66 Flacid Member

How's he doing these days?....still enjoying his fame?

11. overflowed

overflowed Well-Known Member

works for ups and makes better money.

12. djkaos23

djkaos23 New Member

He works for ground last I heard. His brother still works with express tho. I don't see him anymore

13. Route 66

Route 66 Flacid Member

unreal :rofl:

14. overflowed

sarcastic brother

15. overflowed

You shouldn't post too much personal info on here. We have many company shills here. You can notice them right off the bat. Don't know how much it matters to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

For starters 59 Dano.

17. 59 Dano

59 Dano Well-Known Member

Yeah, I spend so much time here trying to mine any personal info I can from a friggin' MESSAGE BOARD ON THE WEB in order to do something to someone. Because I have nothing better to do than to deal with bottom feeders like you!

To the OP, if you get a lawyer the company will fight you tooth and nail and will not let up one bit. If you GFT you may run into a DM or higher who will cut you a break. It's your money.

18. Route 66

Route 66 Flacid Member

If you sue to get your job back and win, you will be constantly walking around with a HUGE target on your back. No "i" will be able to go left undotted and no "T" better be found uncrossed. Who wants that?

19. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

Sure. The company is "innocent of wrongdoing, and will vigorously defend itself in court". I personally know 5 people who have received very large settlements from FedEx, and many more who have also prevailed...in court.

Dano would like you to believe this is a David vs. Goliath scenario where you have no chance of winning, because that's what the company told him to say.

I'd take that as a sign to pursue the issue legally.

20. hypo hanna

Not necessasarily. I have seen couriers sue and win and local mgmt is afraid to give them too much grief fearing they are quick to litigate.