Just wanted to thank the Union.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Funny thing is Real, I didn't mind Carey, but I love to give you a taste of your TDU meds. Sandy Pope couldn't hold a candle to Ronnie. Stick up to UPS? Hahaha. Then our international would be belly up just like hers. Just because you feel that she would "walk away" do you think she is qualified to run the international? Do you really think she was the best person for the job?

Then by your own definition, Hoffa is not qualified to be GP. Because he is running the finances of this great union down while playing golf at the country clubs. When are you going to call for Hoffa to resign?

stink219

I'm not asking him to resign. There were 3 candidates for prez. 1 qualified, the others sucked. Apparently the majority of voters agreed with my selection. I voted for Hoffa. I'm hoping to see Sean O as president eventually. It's a fast way to get him in there.

realbrown1

I'm not asking him to resign. There were 3 candidates for prez. 1 qualified, the others sucked. Apparently the majority of voters agreed with my selection. I voted for Hoffa. I'm hoping to see Sean O as president eventually. It's a fast way to get him in there.

Lots of people win elections who are not the best, and by people who really are not too informed.
Late 30's in England, war is looming, and the English elect Chamberlin instead of Churchhill. Case in point.

kingOFchester

Really?????? Sandy Pope would have gone balls deep on ups?? Ups would have bent over Sandy Pope and gone farther than balls deep. It's so easy to be an armchair quarterback. hall has tons of experience in contract negotiation but a couple of guys from the brown cafe could all do better. This is the problem that I see all through members. They think they know but in all actuality they make 32 bucks an hour and think they are Republicans. You have no clue what it takes to be involved and you make so much money you are above being involved. You aren't a Teamster you are a Tea Party guy.

Just because someone is not a Democrat, certainly does not make them Republican or a "Tea Party guy". Both parties suck. If Libertarian was a viable option, then that is where my votes would go. Unfortunately, at this point in time, that would be just throwing votes away.

As far as the income=political stance, I do not buy into that line of thinking. There are other issues that play into political views. Also, if it were just about income, then your line of thinking would assume that all Drivers are the bread winners in their respective homes, which is not always the case. Death tax form 40% to 45%. Capital gains carried interest tax from 24% to 40%. Tax for those making more then 200k. Just because someone makes 80-100k driving a truck does not mean that these tax increases will not affect them. Many of us have two or more incomes.

Also, just because I do not agree how someone handles a situation, does not necessarily mean I am not overall supportive.

stink219

Lots of people win elections who are not the best, and by people who really are not too informed.
Late 30's in England, war is looming, and the English elect Chamberlin instead of Churchhill. Case in point.
So your saying that most Teamsters are stupid? We voted the wrong guy in? And why are you TDUers always focused on the past? 97? 30's? It's 2013 now! I'd rather my teamster prez rolling up to negotiations in a limo to challenge Scott Davis rather than your people (TDU) driving a gremlin.

Future

Victory Ride
Our union is pathetic, Hall and Hoffa already stated that harassment will never go away at UPS. Basically just get used to it they said. Really? Arent unions supposed to look out for the safety and work enviroment their workers are exposed to on a daily basis? Being harassed daily is not healthy and can be very stressful yet the union allows it. If that is their position on that us teamsters need to focus strictly on the economics of this contract.....thats all that matter. Its obvious whats going on here talk about sleeping with the enemy
Sleeping with the enemy???? Damn they have children already...

stink219

Our union is pathetic, Hall and Hoffa already stated that harassment will never go away at UPS. Basically just get used to it they said. Really? Arent unions supposed to look out for the safety and work enviroment their workers are exposed to on a daily basis? Being harassed daily is not healthy and can be very stressful yet the union allows it. If that is their position on that us teamsters need to focus strictly on the economics of this contract.....thats all that matter. Its obvious whats going on here talk about sleeping with the enemy
When the friend did they say that? Your talking out of your A.

kingOFchester

Here is what source my told me, and I posted, long before the conference call from a few weeks ago.

UPS wants a 7 year deal CONFIRMED IN CONFERENCE CALL
They want NO raises for PT'ers over the life of the contract CONFIRMED IN CONFERENCE CALL
They want to eliminate 22.3 jobs when a combo is promoted into feeders/package cars
Earlier health care proposals are still on the table CONFIRMED IN CONFERENCE CALL
$1,000 bonus every other year CONFIRMED IN CONFERENCE CALL

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/contract-rumor-349097/

From the same source as above. Seems to be a pretty reliable source as we can see

So here is the update I got as of April 18th:

Contract negotiations are moving forward and making progress. Co-pays and deductibles most likely to go up, but not to the level TDU posted. Also not to the level of CURRENT central states plan.

balland chain

Are they still considering the Central States for our insurance provider ? If that is still on the table, I would vote no... I am in the Central States plan and it SUCKS....

kingOFchester

Are they still considering the Central States for our insurance provider ? If that is still on the table, I would vote no... I am in the Central States plan and it SUCKS....

I don't know. However, by the time I wrote that post the union updated their site. See thread in main discussion forum

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Contract negotiations are basically a cross between chicken and high-stakes poker.

Hoffa and Hall are sitting at the table representing us. Do you really think its wise for us to be peeking over their shoulder, looking at their cards and loudly trying to tell them how to play the hand? Do you really expect them to openly communicate their intentions to all of us...in front of the Company...while the hand is still in play?

Here's a thought; why don't we collectively shut our damn mouths and wait until we have an actual, concrete proposal to vote on before we accuse them of being worthless or "selling us out?"

If you dont like the offer...then by all means vote "no" on it. Go to a union meeting, explain your reasons for voting "no" and suggest to your fellow members that they do the same. But until that point...the bickering and name-calling and accusations of being worthless sell outs will accomplish nothing other than weakening Hoffa and Halls position at the bargaining table.

Hoffa and Hall can only negotiate the offer that (a) they believe we will be willing to strike for and that (b) the company believes we will be willing to strike for. If we allow petty bickering and partisan politics to divide us, then we will wind up selling ourselves out at the table.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Sober, First of all, Hoffa / Hall are not their representing "us", rather, they are representing themselves. They are now looking for an easy way out, despite telling us "collectively" that they were willing to take the hard road to a contract. Look at where we started negotiations in January vs today where we are talking givebacks, concessions, eliminations and reductions. I will vote NO on any proposal that takes my insurance away from the company and into the teamsters hands. Hoffa / Hall promised us they would never stand for the company charging us for healthcare, and to backdoor the healthcare out of the company's hands and into the teamsters pockets is unacceptable. Indeed, there will be a proposal sent to the membership, but its not as simple as voting our conscience, as we on this board could ALL vote NO and it would still pass because less than 10% of the membership actually votes. This pi$$ poor voting record can spell disaster for us that DONT want the union taking over our healthcare plans.

804brown

Contract negotiations are basically a cross between chicken and high-stakes poker.

Hoffa and Hall are sitting at the table representing us. Do you really think its wise for us to be peeking over their shoulder, looking at their cards and loudly trying to tell them how to play the hand? Do you really expect them to openly communicate their intentions to all of us...in front of the Company...while the hand is still in play?

Here's a thought; why don't we collectively shut our damn mouths and wait until we have an actual, concrete proposal to vote on before we accuse them of being worthless or "selling us out?"

If you dont like the offer...then by all means vote "no" on it. Go to a union meeting, explain your reasons for voting "no" and suggest to your fellow members that they do the same. But until that point...the bickering and name-calling and accusations of being worthless sell outs will accomplish nothing other than weakening Hoffa and Halls position at the bargaining table.

Hoffa and Hall can only negotiate the offer that (a) they believe we will be willing to strike for and that (b) the company believes we will be willing to strike for. If we allow petty bickering and partisan politics to divide us, then we will wind up selling ourselves out at the table.

No, "the hand they are playing" would be a strong one IF THEY HAD WHAT IT TAKES!! We have been here in 2002 and then again in 2008 and look what they have delivered for us: nothing!! They went into bargaining with a strong hand and now have been put on the defensive. Once again they do not have what it takes to follow through on the strong rhetoric.We are across the table from corporate animals who will stop at nothing to fulfill their greedy agenda yet we send in soft good ol boy wishy washy teddy bears with a union jacket!! I fear another weak contract at the national level and pray that our local can come through for us on certain issues!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Once again they do not have what it takes to follow through on the strong rhetoric.

And neither did Carey.

That's why it took winning a National arbitration case, to force the company to institute the 22.3 jobs.

3 years after the ratification of Carey's contract.

That is a very astute observation.

It has been proven time and time again....

That the TDU disciples, can't act like anything more than the cackle of hens in a sewing circle.

Hence, the need to limit information to the membership.

Let the elected officials do their job.... And then, offer any constructive criticism.

-Bug-

804brown

And neither did Carey.

That's why it took winning a National arbitration case, to force the company to institute the 22.3 jobs.

That the TDU disciples, can't act like anything more than the cackle of hens in a sewing circle.

Let the elected officials do their job.... And then, offer any constructive criticism.

-Bug-

We "let the elected officials do their job" in 2002 and 2008 and WHAT DID WE GET IN RETURN?? A strong, democratic union does not run and hide from its members. It stays in contact with them. The reason some of us feel this way is when you look back to 2002, 2008 Hoffa/hall has a PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF SOARING RHETORIC AND FAILED CONTRACTS. Being good little lemmings and being quiet in the corner certainly will not allow hoffa/hall to grow a pair and develop a clue. This current contract just proves that the only thing hoffa/hall are truly qualified for is to be the public relations duo for The Neville Chamberlain Society. They are so good at selling us a load of sheet that they are now EXPERTS IN THEIR FIELD.

As for the "cackle of hens" comment, well, its better than 2 chickens running around without heads.

realbrown1

And neither did Carey.

-Bug-

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong. Carey was wrongly forced to resign from the teamsters in Nov 1997. So exactly how is it his fault the teamsters never enforced 22.3?
Stink, 407 and BUG, you are all either wrong all the time or lying. Which is it?