Just wanted to thank the Union.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Don't you ever get tired of being wrong. Carey was wrongly forced to resign from the teamsters in Nov 1997. So exactly how is it his fault the teamsters never enforced 22.3?
Stink, 407 and BUG, you are all either wrong all the time or lying. Which is it?

I actually have a copy of the 1997 contract that was given to me by a former steward to help teach a labor history class on the '97 strike. This section was added at the end of the article and allowed UPS to weasel out of its commitment to create 22.3 jobs, until an arbitrator was involved:

"If there is a reduction in volume causing layoffs, the Employer's obligations under this article shall be null and void."

halfajob.jpg

I'm not wading into the Hoffa/Hall vs. Ron Carey argument for a number of reasons -- but one of the major demands of the '97 strike was that more full time jobs were created. And that demand being met involved giving UPS an "out" out of their contractual commitment that they later abused; that's not politics, that's a matter of record.
halfajob.jpg

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I actually have a copy of the 1997 contract that was given to me by a former steward to help teach a labor history class on the '97 strike. This section was added at the end of the article and allowed UPS to weasel out of its commitment to create 22.3 jobs, until an arbitrator was involved:

"If there is a reduction in volume causing layoffs, the Employer's obligations under this article shall be null and void."

View attachment 8984

I'm not wading into the Hoffa/Hall vs. Ron Carey argument for a number of reasons -- but one of the major demands of the '97 strike was that more full time jobs were created. And that demand being met involved giving UPS an "out" out of their contractual commitment that they later abused; that's not politics, that's a matter of record.
Contract in 97 was hand shaked deal around mid Aug 97. Carey was out by Nov 97. How can he enforce 22.3 in 1998,99,2000,2001 and 2002? He can't. It is up to his replacement to do that. The problem is that Hoffa doesn't want to enforce the contract with UPS. We have drivers working of 9.5 and grieving and nothing happens. Drivers fired for dishonesty when telematics saying one thing and the driver saying another. This with a system (telematics) that once said a driver was driving 55mph in a resi area backwards with his bulk head door open and wearing no seat belt. (he wasn't fired, they actually believed him over telematics). How about enforcing sub-contracting? Nope. So how did you think 22.3 would be enforced when almost nothing else is? And stop blaming Carey, he isn't the one who accepts UPS contributions come teamster election time (Hoffa does). Do you think that UPS expects anything for their election contributions to Hoffa? Naaah.

stink219

I think he was making the point that this loop hole that Carey created is the issue. In my building we received 83 22.3 jobs. We have maintained at least that ever since. I think it's more of a local issue of maintenance. Do you work in a weak local? What local are you from?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I think he was making the point that this loop hole that Carey created is the issue. In my building we received 83 22.3 jobs. We have maintained at least that ever since. I think it's more of a local issue of maintenance. Do you work in a weak local? What local are you from?
How many layoffs were there in 98 through 2002? Not too damn much. The economy was growing. So how could the teamsters let ups get away with not complying with22.3? Easy, Hoffa doesn't enforce crap.

balland chain

You are right..Hoffa and his slate have allowed UPS to run allover them...I will not mention what local I am in, but they let UPS mgmt get away with murder.. It is very frustrating for me a very pro union member.. I needed my Union 2 years ago for a situation and they really let me down.. I ended up getting an attorney to settle the situation at UPS, costing me 5K in legal fees...Wish we had someone from up north down here !!

stink219

Once again your blaming the figure head. It's the locals responsibility to maintain 22.3 jobs. Hoffa pushed the issue after UPS lolli gagging on the creations of those 22.3's. a few of my friends got the first wave with big fat back pay checks to go with them and a retro seniority date also. So I'm not sure what local your from. Which local is it?

balland chain

I would prefer not to mention my local,, however when I had a falling out with mgmt, my local let me down, and when I called Wahsington, DC they failed me as well..