Just went friend/t pkg car driver...any advice?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I went for my on-road test today. They didn't tell me I needed a permit first...they just told me to come on in. I hadn't got my C license yet, so I just drove around the ramp and backed into a spot a couple times to get the hang of it. The supervisor scored it like I was on the road. The only problem was that I was in a P800 and thus I have to re-do it. It was pretty nerve wracking but the sup was super cool and it was nice to get some "practice".

Tomorrow I need to get my physical and license. They also didn't bother to tell me that I'll need a U-haul to take to the DMV for the road test. I'm glad I asked about it. I'm actually most nervous about the physical. At my doc last year they found a problem. It's possible that it was caused by an Rx I was taking, but I never followed up on it with him. I quit taking the meds but like I said, I don't know if it was the cause or not. It will certainly show on the urinalysis. The scary part for me is not possibly getting disqualified, but the health ramifications it could have on me. I guess it's better to know than not, but it's still scary. I'm too young for this:(

What a week, and it's not even over yet. Got my physical today, everything went fine. They had to take my BP a few times because I was nervous.

Getting my license has been a giant PIA. No one seemed to know exactly what sized truck I needed to take to the DMV. Then when I finally got a straight answer from a worker at the DMV, I couldn't get a truck around here. I finally found one that I have to pick up tomorrow. Then back to UPS to take their on-road. I'll be glad when this is over. The employment office hasn't been too kind to me this week.

Would it be a good idea to just get the appropriate license in advance, on your own?

BURMDPsupe

Ask one of the top senior "cover-drivers" for advise about your training route. He/she can give you some great tips on how to run the route...sometimes it's the "little things/tips" that do add up.

M-

PTer4Ever

Just thought I would update things. Training in Addison was not bad at all. Michele and the other trainees were great. Our first on-road was Wednesday. Those of you in the Midwest know what kind of day that was:dead: I also had to go back in Monday for a 3rd drive. It's almost comical all the information that HR "forgets" to tell you. So to all of you in 705 or 710, training is 6 days, not 5.

I called the package center Monday afternoon when I got back into town to see when I would start working. After leaving my contact info, I never got a call back. I called 4 hours later asking the same thing. I was told that they didn't know. I then asked if I should report back to my old job (night ramp) and they said yes. I guess I'll have to call every day. It would suck to get a call at 7am after working the previous night and being told I had to come in.

If I've learned anything from this, it's that UPS is just plain lousy at basic communication. For almost every question I've had, I've gotten either an incorrect or no reply. I really can't wait until my probation is up.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Just remember you can only do one stop at time. If you miss something don't back, you can always come back around to it. Good luck and take a deep breath.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
pter4ever" " I've learned anything from this, it's that UPS is just plain lousy at basic communication. For almost every question I've had, I've gotten either an incorrect or no reply. I really can't wait until my probation is up."
And now that you are on Brown cafe, you can get 50 different answers for the same question, and all with validity. WElcome aboard, at the building and the PC.

Bad Gas!

Your best friend is your handtruck.Work as safe as you can.Memorize your safty card because you will get drilled....Look through EDD for 5 minutes before your start time to know your bulky stops...Ask questions to other drivers.They will be helpful and pull for you...If you respect and take care of your customers they will take care of you.......It's alot of hard work-something most people don't anything about!

filthpig

1. Make time at the stop, not on the road.
2. Work safe! Don't run, walk at a good pace. Watch out for your back!! Wear your seatbelt! Apply the parking break!
3. Scan everything and call in service failures!
4. It's only cardboard.
5. Work as directed.
6. Be nice and usually the customer will too.
7. Be thankful you've got the job because pretty soon a lot of people will be losing them.