Just wondering

bbsam

Staff member
I have long since stopped driving for 12 hours a day at FedEx Ground but often help filling in for drivers on vacation. This week I was driving around a familiar area delivering, basically taking my sweet time, and realized something. When not pushed to the limit constantly, I really enjoyed the work. So it got me thinking: Are there any UPS drivers who would consider getting into Ground after retirement part time? Possibly as a contractor with a part time driver? Considering the pace at UPS, Ground would probably be a cake-walk and decent money to supplement pension with considerable profit at route selling time. Or is it more likely that after 30 years in the seat a package car is the last vehicle a driver wants to get back into?

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
All I know is when I retired I was given papers telling what jobs I cannot do while drawing my pension. I cannot deliver packages, feeder drivers cannot drive truck unless then move into another area and I know of at least one who has done so. You have to send papers into the union if you are going to work, so they can approve it, if they think it is another delivery job, truck driving job (feeders) they will suspend or reduce your pension while you are working.

Dustyroads

Yes, that is correct, at least in the Central States, you cannot work in the industry, while you are drawing your pension. I know this may be a surprise to bbsam, but there are a lot of UPS drivers, myself included, who really like their job. I have the best route in the building, have a great center manager, an excellent on car sup, and I drive the nicest package car in the fleet, and belong to the most powerful labor union in the world. I feel like I am at the top of my game with the top company in the business. I wouldn't be interested at all in the idea of driving for fedex ground.

bad company

semi-pro
Yes, that is correct, at least in the Central States, you cannot work in the industry, while you are drawing your pension. I know this may be a surprise to bbsam, but there are a lot of UPS drivers, myself included, who really like their job. I have the best route in the building, have a great center manager, an excellent on car sup, and I drive the nicest package car in the fleet, and belong to the most powerful labor union in the world. I feel like I am at the top of my game with the top company in the business. I wouldn't be interested at all in the idea of driving for fedex ground.

I wish my UPS was the same as your UPS.

Dustyroads

It took 31 years to get here. I've worked for all kinds, I've had 13 center managers, I can't count the division managers. I've driven all of my career. I've seen all of the flavors of the month come around for decades. I feel really lucky to have a great center manager, I've had only a couple that were of this caliber. As for my route, all of the high seniority guys are circling, waiting for me to drop. I take really good care of my package car, and have the best mechanic I've ever had. My car is my office, I keep it clean, I keep my mechanic well informed about any issues with car. It hasn't always been this way, it's just that it's all fallen into place in the last couple years. Out in the country, folks have an expression, "make hay while the sun shines".

trickpony1

Ain't it great?
The union that couldn't/doesn't represent us worth a flip and sold us down the river with the last contract is allowed to tell us what we can and can't do after we retire?
What's wrong with this picture?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In my 31st year I too hope to have a nicely maintained vehicle and a trusted mechanic. Got to keep that Cadillac I'm driving around between golf courses in Florida during the winter running.:happy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Even if my pension allowed it...which it doesnt...I would not take a non-union job that was in direct competition against the company that was contributing to my pension fund.

bbsam

Staff member
No, I'm not surprised at all. In fact, that's why posed the question in the first place. I like the job as well. I love the carreer as well. You may have fellow co-workers in UPS who share your enthusiasm for the "top company in the business". I guess the question was more in the frame of something-to-do-in-ones-free-time category.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, I'm not surprised at all. In fact, that's why posed the question in the first place. I like the job as well. I love the carreer as well. You may have fellow co-workers in UPS who share your enthusiasm for the "top company in the business". I guess the question was more in the frame of something-to-do-in-ones-free-time category.

...and that is a fair statement and one that is well illustrated by a member of this forum, Unabletomoveon, who has yet to separate himself from the company and adjust to his retirement. The key IMO is two fold: firstly, you must have the financial freedom to do what you want to do and, secondly, you must have a life outside of UPS.

I am working hard, with the help of Dave Ramsey, to attain the first goal. The second goal has me working toward a private pilot's license and either working as a substitute school teacher or as a tax preparer or perhaps running an online business or maybe even real estate. The transition to retirement is not an easy one but having a plan in place is essential.

ups1990

I have long since stopped driving for 12 hours a day at FedEx Ground but often help filling in for drivers on vacation. This week I was driving around a familiar area delivering, basically taking my sweet time, and realized something. When not pushed to the limit constantly, I really enjoyed the work. So it got me thinking: Are there any UPS drivers who would consider getting into Ground after retirement part time? Possibly as a contractor with a part time driver? Considering the pace at UPS, Ground would probably be a cake-walk and decent money to supplement pension with considerable profit at route selling time. Or is it more likely that after 30 years in the seat a package car is the last vehicle a driver wants to get back into?
Let me think about it, hum.... NO.

rod

Retired 22 years
...and that is a fair statement and one that is well illustrated by a member of this forum, Unabletomoveon, who has yet to separate himself from the company and adjust to his retirement. The key IMO is two fold: firstly, you must have the financial freedom to do what you want to do and, secondly, you must have a life outside of UPS.

I am working hard, with the help of Dave Ramsey, to attain the first goal. The second goal has me working toward a private pilot's license and either working as a substitute school teacher or as a tax preparer or perhaps running an online business or maybe even real estate. The transition to retirement is not an easy one but having a plan in place is essential.

And then there is Mr. Know It All , the leader of his own universe, who may as well be living in his parents basement-----actually I tend to believe he does. Say somethig smart Mr. Know It All. We are expecting it. Mr. Unabletomoveon has adjusted to retirement quite well and actually has a life-------- unlike Mr. Know It All whos only goal is to be "on pace to hit 10,000 posts by June".

Dude, if you feel that way you have no way of passing the next random drug test.

Overpaid Union Thug

I basically take my sweet time at UPS. A brisk walk pace is as fast as I go. Its a cake walk.

Ain't it great?
The union that couldn't/doesn't represent us worth a flip and sold us down the river with the last contract is allowed to tell us what we can and can't do after we retire?
What's wrong with this picture?

I agree. No company or union should be allowed to do this. Retirement is earned. We shouldn't have to answer to UPS once we reach it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree. No company or union should be allowed to do this. Retirement is earned. We shouldn't have to answer to UPS once we reach it.

You arent answering to UPS, you are answering to the pension fund that mails you a check every month.

That pension is funded by employer contributions made on the employee's behalf. In order to make those contributions, the employer must be able to remain competitive.

No one should be able to work for a non-union competitor while simultaneously drawing a pension that is funded by a union company. Bear in mind that a person who retires on a union pension will receive far more in payments during the course of their retirement than they ever contributed during their employment.

The rules and restrictions of your pension fund were in place when you made a decision to accept employment at UPS and become enrolled in that pension plan. A person who finds those rules to be unacceptable is free to leave and seek employment at a place whose pension fund does not have such restrictions.

NHDRVR

Aside from the pension issue, which I thought was a maximum of 20 hours per week, I can't for the life of me think of one driver that would want to handle more cardboard when they finally retire. I know circumstances will dictate your lifestyle but I already lost my fingerprints from the old industrial runs.