Kansas comes through!

MAKAVELI

And the ruling was that contractors were drivers not that drivers were Fedex employees. Pretty big difference.
Sorry, but the NLRB ruling states the single route HD contractors in Connecticut are indeed FedEx employees and have the right to union representation.

bbsam

Staff member
Sorry, but the NLRB ruling states the single route HD contractors in Connecticut are indeed FedEx employees and have the right to union representation.
But multi route owners with drivers? Are those drivers Fedex employees? This is all well traveled area for FedEx legal.

MAKAVELI

But multi route owners with drivers? Are those drivers Fedex employees? This is all well traveled area for FedEx legal.
Law360 : The National Labor Relations Board has ruled that drivers in the Connecticut terminal of a FedEx Ground Package Systems Inc. unit are employees and not independent contractors, saying that a wide range of factors favor employee status. Over one dissent, a four-member panel ruled Tuesday that FedEx Home Delivery violated the National Labor Relations Act when it refused to recognize and collectively bargain with a union that sought to represent the drivers.

bbsam

Staff member
Law360 : The National Labor Relations Board has ruled that drivers in the Connecticut terminal of a FedEx Ground Package Systems Inc. unit are employees and not independent contractors, saying that a wide range of factors favor employee status. Over one dissent, a four-member panel ruled Tuesday that FedEx Home Delivery violated the National Labor Relations Act when it refused to recognize and collectively bargain with a union that sought to represent the drivers.
Yes. ISP coming soon. Kiss that union representation goodbye right now 'cause it won't be happening.

MAKAVELI

Yes. ISP coming soon. Kiss that union representation goodbye right now 'cause it won't be happening.
You know, sooner or later Fred's kryptonite will be gone. He is getting hit by all kinds of lawsuits, federal indictments, and union pressure. It's only a matter of time bb and you know it.:D

bbsam

Staff member
You know, sooner or later Fred's kryptonite will be gone. He is getting hit by all kinds of lawsuits, federal indictments, and union pressure. It's only a matter of time bb and you know it.:D
I stand by what I've always said. Gonna have to change the law.

MAKAVELI

What you don't understand is Fred is doing the same thing to you as he has done with express. Use you till he has no use for you and then take everything you have.

bbsam

Staff member
What you don't understand is Fred is doing the same thing to you as he has done with express. Use you till he has no use for you and then take everything you have.
I understand that very well. I have faith in Washington gridlock that the purposely vague law will remain such for years to come. When that changes, Fred will no longer be able to take advantage of it for financial gain.

MAKAVELI

I understand that very well. I have faith in Washington gridlock that the purposely vague law will remain such for years to come. When that changes, Fred will no longer be able to take advantage of it for financial gain.
But you are only looking at one aspect of this company. The external pressure is completely surrounding this corporation as a whole. You're a smart guy I'm sure you'll figure that out before it's too late to get out.

bbsam

Staff member
But you are only looking at one aspect of this company. The external pressure is completely surrounding this corporation as a whole. You're a smart guy I'm sure you'll figure that out before it's too late to get out.
External pressure? Express finally organizing? Pilots? Mechanics? Freight? With all those possibilities, seems Fred will do everything in his power to keep IC/ISP in place, no?

MAKAVELI

External pressure? Express finally organizing? Pilots? Mechanics? Freight? With all those possibilities, seems Fred will do everything in his power to keep IC/ISP in place, no?
Do you think ground is an island with a protective force field around it?;)

MAKAVELI

No. I do think it is easier for Memphis and Pittsburgh to deal with these lawsuits than organizing efforts at other opcos though.
That's the thing though. They have to deal with it all. Not one or the other. Freight has a real chance at going union. Which is huge considering how anti union FedEx is. If Freight goes union it will be the catalyst for an Express organizing campaign and only a matter of time. All these lawsuits against ground is chipping away at that contractor model and its advantages over an employee workforce. Add in the dea charges, Orland, and New York lawsuits and FedEx could be on the hook for $ billions. Not exactly a recipe for a stable company for the future. So believe all you want that ground is untouchable and indestructible but you may just have to find out the hard way.

bbsam

Staff member
That's the thing though. They have to deal with it all. Not one or the other. Freight has a real chance at going union. Which is huge considering how anti union FedEx is. If Freight goes union it will be the catalyst for an Express organizing campaign and only a matter of time. All these lawsuits against ground is chipping away at that contractor model and its advantages over an employee workforce. Add in the dea charges, Orland, and New York lawsuits and FedEx could be on the hook for $ billions. Not exactly a recipe for a stable company for the future. So believe all you want that ground is untouchable and indestructible but you may just have to find out the hard way.
But it's all relative. Ground gets more expensive...but so does everything else and Ground still ends up the relatively profitable opco. The lawsuits aren't "chipping away" at anything that is fundamental to FedEx employing an contractor model of one kind or another and the more expensive Freight and Express become (should they organize) the more attractive the contractor models become.

MAKAVELI

But it's all relative. Ground gets more expensive...but so does everything else and Ground still ends up the relatively profitable opco. The lawsuits aren't "chipping away" at anything that is fundamental to FedEx employing an contractor model of one kind or another and the more expensive Freight and Express become (should they organize) the more attractive the contractor models become.
Profitable for FedEx maybe. Profitable for you is a different story. When you can't even pay as much as Express to keep drivers, it's all "relative".