Keep Well Hydrated

MassWineGuy

Don't know what it's like where you are, but here in the Boston region temps and humidity have been in the 90s. Everyone should remember to drink lots of water well before you feel totally thirsty.

I've been mixing my own sports type of electrolyte replenishment drink. Very easy to do, just google homemade rehydration drinks. The potassium, sodium, etc. helps your body better absorb water. A bit of sugar and fresh lime or lemon juice, too.

Frozen hot chocolate from Dunkin' Donuts is also amazing.

bacha29

MWG. You are quite right. Dehydration can also lead to painful bladder and urinary tract infections. I know that from first hand experience. Temperatures later this week are expected to approach 100 degrees in of all places the Northeast along with drought conditions in many parts of it Other parts of the nation well above that reading with utilities warning of voltage reductions and possible blackouts if demand too far exceeds capacity.

MassWineGuy

Someone at my station came in recently wearing a wool vest. He started having heat exhaustion so we took him off the road to recover in the air condioned break room and drink water. My manager told me "I can't fix stupid."

bacha29

Someone at my station came in recently wearing a wool vest. He started having heat exhaustion so we took him off the road to recover in the air condioned break room and drink water. My manager told me "I can't fix stupid."
Trouble is up there people are more adept at dealing with cold weather not what's coming your way. You will quickly see which vehicles have bad water pumps, thermostats and water rather than antifreeze/coolant in the radiators. they'll all be sitting out along the road.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
In addition please ignore any messages on the powerpad about how badly Memphis or your station needs strong productivity. It's hot, don't make yourself sick.

bacha29

The " El Nino" ocean temperature pattern has passed and has been replaced with a "La Nina".. Historically it has generally brought high heat and drought to North America in the summer and colder than normal winters. So when it comes to SPH in this weather tell Memphis to come out and try it themselves if they think they can do any better.

Cactus

The " El Nino" ocean temperature pattern has passed and has been replaced with a "La Nina".. Historically it has generally brought high heat and drought to North America in the summer and colder than normal winters. So when it comes to SPH in this weather tell Memphis to come out and try it themselves if they think they can do any better.
Most Memphites would collapse before the 4th delivery of the day.

Sparky

Wonder what would happen if their offices were as hot as our trucks that sit in the sun all day, with no ventilation other than a tiny yet incredibly loud desk fan. Whenever they have to use a rest room, well just use the water bottle you just drank out of.

Purplepackage

I showed them SPH today, in this heat I get done when I get done. On a route that normally does 15-20 an hour when it's this hot it quickly turns into 10-12

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I showed them SPH today, in this heat I get done when I get done. On a route that normally does 15-20 an hour when it's this hot it quickly turns into 10-12

Let's assume you run 18 SPH on a nice day and 12 SPH on a hot day. Let's further assume that you have 108 stops (makes the math work easier for the point I am trying to make).

Are you saying that it would take you 3 more hours to complete the work on a hot day (12 * 9) than it would take you to do it on a nice day (18 * 6)?

Purplepackage

Let's assume you run 18 SPH on a nice day and 12 SPH on a hot day. Let's further assume that you have 108 stops (makes the math work easier for the point I am trying to make).

Are you saying that it would take you 3 more hours to complete the work on a hot day (12 * 9) than it would take you to do it on a nice day (18 * 6)?

well you forgot to average in my constant bathroom breaks, lemonade stand breaks (because you can't just drive past a lemonade stand)

Sparky

Gotta take an extra break in the community center to cool off a bit, stop here and there to drain the cooler so I still have some ice left at the end of the day, walk a bit slower, get bothered by PPad messages thanking us for working on days like this, night routs being cut so getting pickups, then getting a pickup at the other end of your route, truck overheating.

Cactus

You're not signing our checks, so don't worry 'bout it.